ImageImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves)

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves) 

Post#181 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:25 am

HMFFL wrote:I think Oswalt stays in the NL. I guess that leaves the Nats or Marlins and I'll hate to see it happen. If he wants to be in the best position to win a ring among the four teams we know of he'll sign with the Red Sox.

Only assuming; but $6-$7 million would be my guess of what he's seeking.

If that's the case, I'd definitely sign him. Gives Braves another vet in the rotation, being that Jurrjens and Hanson have been through some injuries the last 2 seasons.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#182 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:23 am

A's trade Andrew Bailey to Red Sox,

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... on-red-sox
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#183 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:A's trade Andrew Bailey to Red Sox,

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... on-red-sox

The A's continue to gut their team. I wish a new ownership would take over that actually cares and is willing to spend to stay relevant.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#184 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Andruw Jones is returning to the Yankees. One year, $2 million.

It's still strange seeing him in a Yankees uniform.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#185 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:49 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#186 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:46 pm

We apparently pursued Carlos Quentin before the trade deadline. I wonder how good Simon Castro and Pedro Hernandez are.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#187 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:03 pm

HMFFL wrote:We apparently pursued Carlos Quentin before the trade deadline. I wonder how good Simon Castro and Pedro Hernandez are.

Dave O'Brien of AJC, says the Braves had interest in Quentin, but his health and $7 mill salary were a concern.

I say :roll: to that. I would have traded for him.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#188 » by ohara » Sun Jan 1, 2012 12:04 am

Wren is making his own bed. He'll have to sleep in it, so I hope he knows what he's doing.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#189 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 2, 2012 4:18 pm

Only assuming: Teams could very well be trying to take advantage of Wren because of our young pitching and Wren ends the trade talks prematurely. The Padres seemed to give up very little for Carlos Quentin.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Nationals Emerge As Favorite For Fielder? 

Post#190 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 2, 2012 6:46 pm

One MLB official told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel recently that "word is spreading in the industry that the Washington Nationals have emerged as the favorite" to sign Prince Fielder. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/136530403.html

Not good. I was getting excited that he was gaining interest from the AL, but now the Nats appear to be involved, and that's the last thing I wanted to see happen.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Re: Nationals Emerge As Favorite For Fielder? 

Post#191 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 7:07 pm

Damn, what happened to Cubs and Rangers being the favorites ?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Nationals Emerge As Favorite For Fielder? 

Post#192 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jan 2, 2012 7:49 pm

HMFFL wrote:
One MLB official told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel recently that "word is spreading in the industry that the Washington Nationals have emerged as the favorite" to sign Prince Fielder. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/136530403.html

Not good. I was getting excited that he was gaining interest from the AL, but now the Nats appear to be involved, and that's the last thing I wanted to see happen.

Not what we need, if Fielder goes to Washington that'll be yet another super powered team in the NL East, especially with Strasburg coming back from injury and Bryce Harper waiting in the wings.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jan 3, 2012 9:21 pm

Well Hanley has agreed to move to third base for the Marlins; looks like he's not getting traded.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#194 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 4, 2012 2:23 am

Scott Boras hard at work.....

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, free agent right-hander Edwin Jackson is seeking $15-17 million per season.
Jackson's agent, Scott Boras, has compared his client to C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle, John Lackey, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe, all of whom received north of $14 million per season as free agents. It's worth noting that Wilson and Buehrle just signed and the final three names on the list turned out to be big mistakes, so we're not sure this is the best strategy. Heyman hears that the Yankees will continue dialogue with Jackson, but the two sides are in no way close to a deal. Source: CBSSports.com
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#195 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 4, 2012 7:23 pm

Torre quits MLB to pursue Dodgers ownership

Joe Torre resigned Wednesday as Major League Baseball's executive vice president for baseball operations to join a group trying to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers. http://www.ajc.com/sports/torre-quits-m ... 88896.html

I wish Joe Torre the best of luck. I think he'd be good for LA and as an investor.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#196 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 5, 2012 2:29 am

Zambrano traded to Marlins for Volstad.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... mi-marlins
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#197 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 5, 2012 2:33 am

Nemesis21 wrote:Zambrano traded to Marlins for Volstad.

Good trade for the Marlins. The Cubs are going to pay $15 million of the $18 million that's owed to Zambrano.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#198 » by ohara » Thu Jan 5, 2012 12:53 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Zambrano traded to Marlins for Volstad.

Good trade for the Marlins. The Cubs are going to pay $15 million of the $18 million that's owed to Zambrano.

Agreed. And Ozzie and Zambrano are friends. So if anyone can motivate Carlos to get his head right and rededicate himself to the game, it will be Ozzie. Good move.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#199 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 6, 2012 1:17 am

And to think some people just want perks like a front row parking spot or invited to company events.

Guess $240 million wasn't quite enough for Albert Pujols. In addition to his salary, the Los Angeles Angels are giving the slugger four season tickets to home games over the next decade.

He and the Angels still need to work out the location of the seats, which are his to enjoy for the duration of his contract. After that, if he still wants them, he has to pay.

Those details were contained in the terms of his deal that was filed Thursday with Major League Baseball and the players' association.

Other perks include:

—hotel suite on road trips.

—luxury suite at the ballpark for the Pujols Foundation, his charitable group, for 10 home games a year.

—right to buy a luxury suite between first base and third base for all home games.

The deal was so complicated it includes three separate agreements: His playing contract, a marketing deal and an agreement to enter a 10-year, personal-services agreement following the playing contract's expiration or Pujols' retirement, whichever is later. That will pay $1 million annually, but because it is contingent on Pujols actually working for the team, it is not considered guaranteed money for the purposes of baseball's luxury tax.

High-payroll teams such as the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are likely to examine that structure closely and may emulate it in future agreements.

There also is a marketing agreement that will pay Pujols for milestone accomplishments. The player will receive $3 million for 3,000 hits and $7 million for a record 763rd home run. He currently has 2,073 hits and 763 home runs.

Including all three agreements, Pujols could make up to $265.75 million over 20 years. That includes $875,000 in possible award bonuses each year for accomplishments such as Most Valuable Player, World Series and league championship series MVP, Gold Glove and Silver Slugger, and making the All-Star team.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/pujols-240-mi ... 90574.html
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:24 pm

HMFFL wrote:And to think some people just want perks like a front row parking spot or invited to company events.

Guess $240 million wasn't quite enough for Albert Pujols. In addition to his salary, the Los Angeles Angels are giving the slugger four season tickets to home games over the next decade.

He and the Angels still need to work out the location of the seats, which are his to enjoy for the duration of his contract. After that, if he still wants them, he has to pay.

Those details were contained in the terms of his deal that was filed Thursday with Major League Baseball and the players' association.

Other perks include:

—hotel suite on road trips.

—luxury suite at the ballpark for the Pujols Foundation, his charitable group, for 10 home games a year.

—right to buy a luxury suite between first base and third base for all home games.

The deal was so complicated it includes three separate agreements: His playing contract, a marketing deal and an agreement to enter a 10-year, personal-services agreement following the playing contract's expiration or Pujols' retirement, whichever is later. That will pay $1 million annually, but because it is contingent on Pujols actually working for the team, it is not considered guaranteed money for the purposes of baseball's luxury tax.

High-payroll teams such as the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are likely to examine that structure closely and may emulate it in future agreements.

There also is a marketing agreement that will pay Pujols for milestone accomplishments. The player will receive $3 million for 3,000 hits and $7 million for a record 763rd home run. He currently has 2,073 hits and 763 home runs.

Including all three agreements, Pujols could make up to $265.75 million over 20 years. That includes $875,000 in possible award bonuses each year for accomplishments such as Most Valuable Player, World Series and league championship series MVP, Gold Glove and Silver Slugger, and making the All-Star team.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/pujols-240-mi ... 90574.html

:lol: Only for Pujols

Return to Atlanta Braves