ImageImageImage

Braves trade deadline thread, Buy or sell ?....

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Braves trade deadline thread, Buy or sell ?.... 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:34 pm

With the trade deadline just under 2 months away, thought it would be fit to have a thread for it.

I would like to add another pitcher to the rotation. We could use another bat, but I think this lineup will be more than ok, just have to have Bourn,Prado and Uggla to continue what they are doing, need Chipper to be healthy, Mac to return to form, J Hey and Freeman need to step it up a bit. I know that is a lot of if's.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say we should go after Ryan Dempster. He's 35, a free agent at the end of the year, having the best season of his career (2.31 ERA, career-best 3.15 strikeout/walk ratio, .206 average allowed), making $14 million and would have to waive his 10-and-5 rights, which he's indicated he's willing to do. I think we could get him for Minor and Pastornicky, possibly a low A prospect or PTBNL.

Hanson
Dempster
Hudson
Beachy
Delgado
Nemesis21
RealGM

Re: Braves trade deadline thread, Buy or sell ?.... 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:55 pm

And Dave O'brien totally craps on my idea,

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blo ... raves_blog
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#3 » by ohara » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Really would love to find a way to land Greinke on the team. Rats. We'll likely get a bat who is good for need in the occasional start, but nothing of a big impact. David DeJesus perhaps? Folks at ESPN think he is a possible target for the Braves. Think I would be a bit happier with Carlos Quentin.
Superiorblogman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Superiorblogman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:45 am

Braves are not taking on any big contracts.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:15 am

If Beachy needs Tommy John, Braves will need to get a pitcher. I vote for Dempster.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#6 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Cubs willing to include cash in a deal for Dempster.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... ster_deal/
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#7 » by ohara » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:21 am

I wish Atlanta was selling. Like selling the team to a multi billionaire who would not mind spending money and getting a team together who can win. But alas, they are happy with the team being merely competitive and the ownership group making money.
Superiorblogman
Banned User

Post#8 » by Superiorblogman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 am

Dempster cost too much can't see that happening. I think we can use Minor and Pastornicky as trade chips and possibly even Jair but you have to understand that the Braves are not taking back a contract the price tag of Dempsters.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:56 am

Superiorblogman wrote:Dempster cost too much can't see that happening. I think we can use Minor and Pastornicky as trade chips and possibly even Jair but you have to understand that the Braves are not taking back a contract the price tag of Dempsters.

Cubs said they would pay some of Dempsters deal, as I said in this thread and also provided a link, but you didn't take the time to look. He is a FA after this yr, so he won't count against money next yr. Could probably get him for Minor and Pastornicky.
Superiorblogman
Banned User

Post#10 » by Superiorblogman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Superiorblogman wrote:Dempster cost too much can't see that happening. I think we can use Minor and Pastornicky as trade chips and possibly even Jair but you have to understand that the Braves are not taking back a contract the price tag of Dempsters.

Cubs said they would pay some of Dempsters deal, as I said in this thread and also provided a link, but you didn't take the time to look. He is a FA after this yr, so he won't count against money next yr. Could probably get him for Minor and Pastornicky.

I definitely took time to look but the fact still remains that Minor and Pastornicky together make less than a million dollars this year while Dempster makes $14 that is a huge gap to make up. $13 million dollar gap even when talking prorating it seems very unlikely.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 pm

The Braves are believed to be among the teams interested in Cubs right-hander Matt Garza, O’Brien writes. Garza earns $9.5MM this year and will be arbitration eligible for the fourth and final time before the 2013 season. His teammate, right-hander Ryan Dempster, could also interest the Braves.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta_braves/index.html
Superiorblogman
Banned User

Post#12 » by Superiorblogman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm

We definitely need pitchers but I don't see them paying the price for Garza or Dempster who is now on the DL.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#13 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:19 pm

From MLB Trade Rumors.com,

The Braves will be a team to watch before the deadline, specifically in the starting pitching market following Brandon Beachy's injury.

The Braves have discussed using money budgeted for 2013 to make a trade this year according to MLB.com's Mark Bowman (on Twitter). Atlanta could be on the hunt for pitching with Brandon Beachy injured and Mike Minor/Randall Delgado experiencing growing pains.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#14 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:42 pm

From MLB Trade Rumors.com,

The Braves are looking for "an impact starting pitcher" and they’ve scouted trade candidate Jason Vargas extensively.

The Braves would only be interested in trading for Greinke if they could sign him to a new long-term contract, writes MLB.com's Mark Bowman. The Braves could, as rumored, use some of the money budgeted for their 2013 payroll to accommodate adding Greinke or another pitcher. As Bowman points out, the Braves will have almost $36MM (Chipper Jones, Derek Lowe and Michael Bourn's contract) coming off the books this winter, though the club will need some of those funds to re-sign Bourn or spend on another outfielder.

Besides Greinke, Bowman lists Matt Garza, Ryan Dempster and Edinson Volquez as "potential targets" for Atlanta.

Morosi is almost certain the Brewers will be sellers and notes that the Braves, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles, White Sox and Indians would like to upgrade their rotations. Morosi adds that the Rangers, Angels and Yankees had scouts at Greinke’s most recent start.

I'd pass on Jason Vargas, he is 7-7 with a 4.54 ERA with 21 HRs allowed(3 more than Minor).

Return to Atlanta Braves