ImageImageImageImage

OT: St. Louis Screwjob

smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

OT: St. Louis Screwjob 

Post#1 » by smith2373 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:13 am

I'm **** heated at the moment. Red Sox were ROBBED due to a BS call. Not only did Craig not come close to touching home plate but that was not obstruction from Will Middlebrooks. He fell and was simply trying to get up, there was really nothing he could do.

I'm sure I'm not the only pissed right now.
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Re: OT: St. Louis Screwjob 

Post#2 » by Geoffrey P » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:25 am

I'd have to see the replay again because someone told me Middlebrooks stuck his legs up in order to prevent the run but as I saw it in real time I couldn't believe it. You have the home plate ump saying he's out and then all of a sudden the third base is saying it's a run because of obstruction. Tough way to call it in the freaking World Series when the runner would have been out anyway...
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#3 » by smith2373 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:27 am

Geoffrey P wrote:I'd have to see the replay again because someone told me Middlebrooks stuck his legs up in order to prevent the run but as I saw it in real time I couldn't believe it. You have the home plate ump saying he's out and then all of a sudden the third base is saying it's a run because of obstruction. Tough way to call it in the freaking World Series when the runner would have been out anyway...

I think Will was just trying to get up. I don't think there was any intent. And Craig clearly wasn't close to being safe at the plate.

And that's the biggest thing. It's the World Series. And having a game decided by the umps like that is just terrible.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#4 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:30 am

Major fix right there. If the series comes back to Boston I hope the refs give the Cardinals a strike zone the size of an index card. Its only fair.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,998

Post#5 » by exculpatory » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:41 am

Disgusting!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#6 » by BfB » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:50 am

Intent doesn't matter - if the runner gets tangled up with the defensive player its automatic obstruction. The homeplate umpire then determines if he would have been out had obstruction not occurred.

It was the right call - its Salty's fault and he should take the blame. He's been responsible for the losing plays intwo games now - time for him to ride the pine and allow Ross to finish this up. Salty is a terrible decision maker defensively and both losses are on him.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#7 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:18 am

I was ready to dropkick someone in the neck until I saw the replay of Middlebrooks kicking his legs up and tripping the guy, lol.

Lost two games in a row off throws to 3rd that had no chance at all.
gammajamma
Junior
And1: 253

Post#8 » by gammajamma » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:20 am

I blame John Farrell and Salty more than anyone for the loss. Salty has been terrible, when he is struggling at the plate like he is, there is no reason for him to be playing in front of Ross. Ross has the ability to strike out every at bat but at least he is solid behind the plate.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#9 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:30 am

gammajamma wrote:I blame John Farrell and Salty more than anyone for the loss. Salty has been terrible, when he is struggling at the plate like he is, there is no reason for him to be playing in front of Ross. Ross has the ability to strike out every at bat but at least he is solid behind the plate.

Lots of mistakes by Farrell tonight:
1. Taking out Drew, who has been the most impactful defensive player on the team, for Middlebrooks
2. Ross for Salty

Puts Nava in a game too late. Now looks like Salty will get yanked a game too late. Damn shame.
gammajamma
Junior
And1: 253

Post#10 » by gammajamma » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:32 am

24istheLAW wrote:
gammajamma wrote:I blame John Farrell and Salty more than anyone for the loss. Salty has been terrible, when he is struggling at the plate like he is, there is no reason for him to be playing in front of Ross. Ross has the ability to strike out every at bat but at least he is solid behind the plate.

Lots of mistakes by Farrell tonight:
1. Taking out Drew, who has been the most impactful defensive player on the team, for Middlebrooks
2. Ross for Salty

Puts Nava in a game too late. Now looks like Salty will get yanked a game too late. Damn shame.

Not to mention leaving Napoli on the bench. As much as drew is struggling at bat, he more than makes up for it with his glove.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,024

Post#11 » by tfmiii » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:45 am

terrible way to lose a game

since intent is not needed obstruction does seem the correct call, but Demuth was effing us all game behind the plate, making Kelly into a world beater the same way West did for that Detroit pitcher in game one of that series. outright balls being called strikes, so bad even the nat'l tv commentators talked about it on several occasions, with replay to back it up.

that being said, wtf is up w farrell? all season he pushes the right buttons, he gets to the POs and all of a sudden he has to play his wooby players... benching Nava?? Tonight is a good example of how misguided that has been... how about a little time off for some of the other struggling players (salty, drew, victorino) as he did all season long? And has he never heard of the double switch? good god... he has made a point to bring in uehara to start the inning all season long, and now he bats workman and leaves him in too when uehara is ready??? Napoli nailed to the bench??????

time to bat Nava at #2, get carp some time in RF and ross behind the plate...

and it seems we are screwed since one of drew or middlebrooks has to play, but if you are going to play drew, bat him 9th after the pitcher lol just kidding i think
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,772

Post#12 » by jc23 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:12 am

As a guy who played the offensive line, trust me, the reason he raised his legs was to trip the runner.
Be curious, Not judgmental
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#13 » by threrf23 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 pm

It looked to me like Craig was trying to be obstructed.

But the rule basically just says, if Middlebrooks in on the ground, and is no longer on the ground because he is anticipating the ball (or something to the effect), it is obstruction if he continues to stay on the ground (in an obstructive position). Intent does not matter.

And I don't think Craig was ever more than three feet outside of the baseline (and if he was, I don't think any play was technically being attempted on him at the time).

Like with the tuck rule, this sucked for one team but was probably the right call.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#14 » by 15th overall » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 pm

The ONLY reason you play Salty over Ross is for his bat, which is busy whiffing at everything lately. That move was obviously needed. This is squarely on Farrell.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
stiles21
Starter
And1: 276

Post#15 » by stiles21 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Pulled these off of BarStool.

Craig slipped on his own feet and fell on Middlebrooks. 3rd base ump wasn't even looking at the play. There was also plenty of room to run down the line.
"Stats are for Losers" -Bill Belichick-

Return to Boston Red Sox