ImageImageImageImage

Prospect and Minor League Discussion

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Prospect and Minor League Discussion 

Post#1 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:18 am

We need a place for this business. How about here?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#2 » by kg2005 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:48 am

I really don't think this is a very good spot.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:08 am

Let's take a poll of people who care.

OK, Pawtucket (AAA), Portland (AA), Lancaster (Hi-A) and Greenville (Lo-A) all open on April 5. Lowell (Short Season-A) starts June 19.

Interesting prospects in AAA: Delcarmen (RHP), Kottaras (C), Moss (LF), Murphy (CF), Spann (3B), Hansen (RHP), Martinez (RHP), Hansack (RHP), Pauley (RHP), Alvarez (LHP), Gabbard (LHP). Also, McEwing (2B, SS), Ochoa (RF), Corey (RHP) and Breslow (LHP) could see time in Boston if anyone gets injured.

AA: Buchholz (RHP), Hottovy (LHP), Bryce Cox (RHP), Kyle Jackson (RHP), Jeff Natale (2B), Jed Lowrie (SS), Ellsbury (CF), Corsaletti (RF)

Hi-A: Bowden (RHP), Masterson (RHP), Bard (RHP), Kris Johnson (RHP), Mike Rozier (LHP), Tony Granadillo (2B, 3B), Zach Daeges (3B), Chris Turner (LF), Luis Soto (RF). This team is absolutely stacked and they're playing in the most hitter friendly park in the minors. So keep that in mind if you're looking at any stats for these guys.

Lo-A: Lester (LHP), Dustin Richardson (LHP), Josh Papelbon (RHP), Jordan Craft (RHP), Jon Egan (C), Lars Anderson (1B), Kris Negron (2B), Argenis Diaz (SS), Carlos Fernandez-Oliva (LF), Jason Place (CF), Reid Engel (RF), Mickey Hall (DH). Very awesome outfield and Lars Anderson is just beastly. Plus I love Kris Negron.

Lowell's roster hasn't been announced, but some names likely include Caleb Clay (RHP), Ryan Kalish (OF), Chih-Hsien Chiang (2B), Josh Reddick (OF). Chiang is awesome.

Obviously there are more players on these teams, but I just listed the major prospects or guys I like.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#4 » by The Rondo Show » Wed Apr 4, 2007 10:14 am

Lancaster's rotation is absolutely money.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#5 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:26 pm

I really want to see how both Beltre and Tejeda do this season.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:42 pm

kobeSTOPkobeDONT wrote:Lancaster's rotation is absolutely money.

It sucks that it'll be all but impossible to put up an ERA under 5 in that park, though.

Beltre and Tejeda are in Extended Spring Training now and will probably head to the Gulf Coast League whenever that starts up. Tejeda is at short and Beltre is manning centerfield.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Chach » Wed Apr 4, 2007 10:57 pm

That's nuts that the two 16 year old Dominicans are coming to America straight after signing. That=really really nuts. Usually, they spend a year in the DSL and then come and play in the CGL and then, at 18, start at low A ball. Theo and Co. are really pushing the ball on this.

I've been interested in Mitch Denning since he signed with the Sox because I have a soft spot for Aussies. I want to see what the kid can do seeing as how I've been pining for him for a years plus now. mahalo
~Chach~
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:14 pm

Luis Sumoza is also another really young guy to watch out for. He was in the GCL last year as a 17 year old (Beltre and Tejeda are 17, too). He only hit .205/.262/.291, though. But all of his tools are above average.

Overall, that GCL team looks pretty talented. Ty Weeden has a lot of power and athleticism behind the plate, Willy Mota is making the conversion to pitcher after flopping bigtime as an OF.
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#9 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:59 pm

Nice-- Jon Lester will be starting the opener for Gabe Kapler's club tonight, the Greenville Drive. Lars Anderson makes his debut as well, I believe.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#10 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:12 pm

Chach wrote:That's nuts that the two 16 year old Dominicans are coming to America straight after signing. That=really really nuts. Usually, they spend a year in the DSL and then come and play in the CGL and then, at 18, start at low A ball. Theo and Co. are really pushing the ball on this.

~

I
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:28 pm

Portland has its first game snowed out. Who decided it would be a good idea to have April baseball in Maine?

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:03 am

Hey, look at that--Brandon Moss starts off his season with a Grand Slam.
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#13 » by The Rondo Show » Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:28 am

Lester has thrown 3 scoreless innings so far. 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K's.

Jason Place has a double in his 1st AB and Lars Anderson is 0-1. Both are due up this inning.

Bowden goes tonight for Lancaster at 9:30 PM EST.
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#14 » by The Rondo Show » Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:58 am

Lester with 4 scoreless innings, 1 hit allowed, 1 walk and 5 K's. Jason Place with 2-2 with a double and Lars Anderson is 0-2.

Bowden's start gets underway in 30 minutes.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:34 am

Bowden has had an OK night so far. 3 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 4:1 K:BB, 1 HR. 4 ground outs, 1 fly out.

Get ready for some wacky scores in Lancaster this season.

Manny Delcarmen was dealing in Pawtucket until he gave up a 2-R shot. But he still struck out 4 in 2 IP. Corey and Timlin both pitched an inning without giving up a hit, walk or striking anyone out.

Greenville is locked in a 0-0 tie in the bottom of the 10th!

EDIT: Bowden's final line: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 5 K, BB, HR, 9 ground outs to 1 flyout.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 6, 2007 7:15 pm

Big day today. Hansack, Buchholz and Bard all pitch. Well, Buchholz was supposed to pitch but obviously Portland has to meet its quota of 35 postponements.

Who decided to start April games in Portland? Let the Sea Dogs travel for the first month of the season.

I have a bad feeling about Bard in that ballpark. He's a guy who gets flustered easily and he's going to give up his fair share of popup homers.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Apr 7, 2007 1:04 am

Hansack with 10 K in 5.67 IP. Nasty.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#18 » by wetsthebed » Sat Apr 7, 2007 2:59 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Hansack with 10 K in 5.67 IP. Nasty.

Whew.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Apr 7, 2007 3:45 am

Dan Bard was less than spectacular in his professional debut: 2.67 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, BB, K, HR. 5:2 Ground:Fly.

But Bryce Cox is filthy. 2.33 IP, 4 K, 2 BB. 2:0 Ground:Fly. He's going to be something special.

Antonio Granadillo, 2B sleeper, hit his first homer of the season.

Brandon Moss continued his hot streak as he went 2-4 with a double. Murphy went 2-5, both singles.

Craig Hansen with 2 shutout innings. He allowed 1 hit, one walk and struck out 4.

For Greenville, Lars Anderson went 2-4 with a double and K. Jason Place 0-3 with a walk and run. Argenis Diaz went 2-3 with a run. Mickey Hall went 2-4--he's a guy I'd really like to see do well. He can work the strike zone and he has great power potential.

Phillip Hughes, Yankees top pitching prospect, had a good start as well. 5 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 9 ground outs to 0 flyouts.
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#20 » by The Rondo Show » Sat Apr 7, 2007 9:45 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:But Bryce Cox is filthy. 2.33 IP, 4 K, 2 BB. 2:0 Ground:Fly. He's going to be something special.
That was Tim Cox. Bryce Cox is already at AA and they've been postponed every game so far; including today.

Return to Boston Red Sox