ImageImageImageImage

Prospect and Minor League Discussion

mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#301 » by mr_sunshine » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:45 pm

My friend lives up in Lancaster so we're going to hit up a game there soon. Anyone I should watch out for at the game? I'd be lying if I said I followed the Sox farm system beyond the top few AAA prospects and such.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#302 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:43 am

Lars Anderson at first, Reddick in RF, Diaz at short, Reid Engel in LF, Jason Place in CF, Jimenez at third, hell, the entire team is worth following, at least the position players. But the two guys who are elite prospects in the making are Reddick and Anderson. Diaz is apparently tremendous defensively, so that should be fun to watch.

Don't even both worrying about the pitchers unless you want to watch Papelbon's younger brother pitch out of the bullpen for **** and giggles. It's just a bunch of crap in Lancaster for pitchers.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#303 » by The Rondo Show » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:56 am

Bard with 2 more scoreless, no walks, a hit and 4 K's. 0.00 ERA, .50 WHIP, 27-3 K/BB in 18 IP.
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#304 » by The Rondo Show » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:32 am

Finally a big game for Lars: 4-4, 2 HR's, a double. .300/.400/.544 on the year.

Reddick also homered.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#305 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Lars Anderson at home: .417/.512/.833
Lars Anderson away: .222/.311/.352

Funny thing is that he's got a 19% line-drive rate away and just 7% at home. BABIP away is just .282 while it's .478 at home so those splits above aren't as crazy as they first seem. I hope. And it's only like 50 atbats away and 50 atbats away so no reason to worry just yet. So why did I post this? Who knows.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Regarding Mike Bowden sucking:
While most of the focus at Double-A Portland this year has been on the outstanding performance of Justin Masterson as well as his impressive pro debut in a spot start for a flu-ridden big league team, don't forget about Michael Bowden. Last year, Bowden was one of the few arms to rise to the challenge of pitching effectively at High-A Lancaster, though he was inconsistent following a promotion to Double-A, where he was one of the youngest pitchers in the league. Back in the Eastern League this year, Bowden has pitched much better than his 3.70 ERA, and in his last outing he fired six shutout innings while striking out 11. One scout who recently saw the 21-year-old pitch both this year and last has seen nothing short of a transformation. "He's a totally different guy now," said the scout. "First off, he's in better shape--a more slender, tapered build. And while last year he was in the upper 80s when I saw him, this year he sat at 94 mph--and I mean just parked there--his low was 93, and he backed it up with a 12-to-6 hammer curve." The 2005 supplemental first-round pick has always gotten poor reviews for his mechanics, and while the scout understood where the concerns came from, he didn't share the same long-term concerns. "He's going to turn off scouts on first view," explained the evaluator. "His arm action is a little jerky, his delivery is stiff and rigid, and that could scare you, but it never changes. He repeats it every time and it's just what he does--so it's not so bad."

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.p ... cleid=7447
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#307 » by The Rondo Show » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:40 pm

I may have spoke too soon about Michael Bowden completely sucking.

From BP/Goldstein:
While most of the focus at Double-A Portland this year has been on the outstanding performance of Justin Masterson as well as his impressive pro debut in a spot start for a flu-ridden big league team, don't forget about Michael Bowden. Last year, Bowden was one of the few arms to rise to the challenge of pitching effectively at High-A Lancaster, though he was inconsistent following a promotion to Double-A, where he was one of the youngest pitchers in the league. Back in the Eastern League this year, Bowden has pitched much better than his 3.70 ERA, and in his last outing he fired six shutout innings while striking out 11. One scout who recently saw the 21-year-old pitch both this year and last has seen nothing short of a transformation. "He's a totally different guy now," said the scout. "First off, he's in better shape--a more slender, tapered build. And while last year he was in the upper 80s when I saw him, this year he sat at 94 mph--and I mean just parked there--his low was 93, and he backed it up with a 12-to-6 hammer curve." The 2005 supplemental first-round pick has always gotten poor reviews for his mechanics, and while the scout understood where the concerns came from, he didn't share the same long-term concerns. "He's going to turn off scouts on first view," explained the evaluator. "His arm action is a little jerky, his delivery is stiff and rigid, and that could scare you, but it never changes. He repeats it every time and it's just what he does--so it's not so bad."
http://baseballprospectus.com/article.p ... cleid=7447

If he really can sit at 94, I just became a much bigger Michael Bowden fan. With this report and his 6 IP, 3 hit, 0 run, 0 walk, 11 K gem...I'm becoming more cautiously optimistic about his future.

Edit: Damn, beat me to it by 2 mins. I guess I'll make a small contribution at least...

Bard: 2 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 5 K's.
Lin: 3-4, run, 2 RBI's, 3 steals.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:57 pm

I can rip off soxprospects and baseballprospectus so fast it's crazy.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#309 » by Bleeding Green » Thu May 1, 2008 5:21 am

Lancaster: Postponed: Wind

I can't wait until they're gone from this hellhole. You can't tell whether anyone here is doing well or poorly. Hitters numbers are inflated to absurd levels and pitchers the same. Plus it's like 2500 miles away from any other level.
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#310 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Mon May 5, 2008 5:19 pm

when will masterson get called up to pawtucket? time for a promotion?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by Bleeding Green » Tue May 6, 2008 3:18 am

I would think sometime in June to get a few starts in Pawtucket, then work his way into the Bullpen in Boston in August-ish. I hope.
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#312 » by The Rondo Show » Tue May 6, 2008 5:39 am

Masterson had a subpar line, due to his last inning. He was dealin' thru 5 and had 6 K's, allowed just a hit and a walk with no runs allowed. Then he allowed 3 hits and a walk in 1/3 of an inning and the pen allowed all of those runners to eventually score, leaving him with 4 earned in 5 1/3 IP.

Lin: 2-3, BB, SB.
The Rondo Show
Analyst

Post#313 » by The Rondo Show » Fri May 9, 2008 5:08 am

Mark Wagner, nice guy and rock solid baseball player. Learn to respect him, folks, he's underrated. He had a .940 OPS last year in Lancaster, he's a very good defensive catcher and now he has an .850 OPS as a 23 year old catcher in AA/Portland. His plate discipline is Jacoby Ellsbury/Dustin Pedroia esque, too.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#314 » by Bleeding Green » Sat May 17, 2008 1:32 am

So Tony Rizzo has Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... nosed.html

Wow, that really sucks. Get well, Anthony. An 18 year old should be able to overcome this, especially an athlete in excellent shape.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by Bleeding Green » Mon May 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Dan Bard is a man. Struck out the side swinging in his first inning of AA-ball.

Chris Smith to the show. He'll probably go right back down when Masterson comes up for Tuesday's game, but hopefully he can get an inning tonight.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#316 » by greenbeans » Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 pm

seein as this is the only thread thats active, ill state this here:

BRING BACK BRONSONNNN!!!!!

completely unfounded and makes NO sense, bu id like to see him back. theyd probably give em away to whoever wil eat the salary. and ours is down this year, so why not. you know hell do whatever they want pitching-wise.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by Bleeding Green » Tue May 20, 2008 12:43 am

Already enough starters in AAA and I don't think he'd accept designation to Pawtucket. Maybe when Bartolo is called up it could work out.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#318 » by Chach » Tue May 20, 2008 2:14 am

Why exactly do we need him back? He hasn't been all the splendid since that amazing first half in Cincy and we already have a bajillion starters.
Beckett/Daisuke/Wakefield/Lester/Buchholz/Colon/Masterson/Schilling and an outside chance that Michael Bowden is ready by September. That doesn't even include guys like Hansack and Pauley who can make a spot start if need be. Nah, we have plenty of depth and no need to worry about it. We are going to be juggling starters come August anyway, no real need to add another to the mix. mahalo
~Chach~
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#319 » by greenbeans » Tue May 20, 2008 8:35 pm

i was thinking as a 6th/7th type of guy who can be long relief when playoffs roll around. just a feeling, like i said, i know it makes no sense and im pipedreamin here
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#320 » by greenbeans » Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Already enough starters in AAA and I don't think he'd accept designation to Pawtucket. Maybe when Bartolo is called up it could work out.

Bart Colon starting Wednesday. (and its pronounced like the organ round these parts). i hope he works out, just for the joy his name will constantly bring to my life

Return to Boston Red Sox