Image Image Image Image

OT: Starlin Castro Accused of Sexual Assault

kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Re: OT: Starlin Castro Accused of Sexual Assault 

Post#21 » by kyrv » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:10 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:I don't care what he/she/they expected by going to his apartment at 3am. As soon as she passed out she was off-limits - end of story.

Shouldn't you be posting as one of the testosterone laden internet sexed up tough guys?

Obviously as soon as it becomes non-consentual, by her saying no or passing out, it's rape. Hopefully this isn't true.

Hopefully the pro-rapists in the thread wouldn't actually be rapists in real life.

But, if it's true, and her friend was there, that's very bad. If she heard the screams. Well, and can remember, there may have been a lot of alcohol involved, which could help Sterlin.

Bernstine said they need to replace him with a good hitter anyway (no not joking).
Professor Frink
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,958

Post#22 » by Professor Frink » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:11 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:I don't care what he/she/they expected by going to his apartment at 3am. As soon as she passed out she was off-limits - end of story.

QFT
Do you know where you're going to spend eternity? You're going to spend it with me, talking about Jesus Christ.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#23 » by Jo Jo English » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:18 pm

chiluv wrote:This is just sad. Yes we all should hold off judging him until he is charged or at least more facts come out, but the same courtesy should go to the accuser. So many times when you see a story like this, people will automatically say innocent until proven guilty

As they should. It is pretty darn important after all.

then go on to victim blame.

Agreed, and that is unfortunate. At this point it is silly for any of us to make any sort of call as to who was in the right and who was in the wrong. People should just let the investigators do their jobs. Hopefully the truth comes out and justice is served.

---

Also, just in case it needs to be said, I am firmly in the Gorilla's camp. Regardless of her actions, the moment she passed out (if that is what occurred), then it's officially a rain delay for Starlin. He would have been better off watching a few episodes of This Week In Baseball while waiting.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,201

Post#24 » by fleet » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:19 pm

Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#25 » by kyrv » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:26 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:so you and a friend go home with a MLB player at 3AM from a bar

and you think you'e just going there to sleep and maybe have milk and cookies?

yes, clearly he's in the wrong-

but talk about being led on.....

your move Theo - we're building the franchise around this kid still right?
welcome to chicago. nice work with Zambrano. have fun with this kid. he's talented but he's progressing too rapidly and knows he's good.

he's not humble like Rose - which is surprising considering he probably grew up in a worse neighborhood/situation than Englewood!

I'm sure Castro will lead with that when questioned.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,509

Post#26 » by panthermark » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:27 pm

mlitney01 wrote:
alucryts wrote:

I agree with this. If she passed out, then I think the clear wrong falls to Starlin. If she didn't, then the whole situation gets murky.

I think we clearly know where this argument is going... Is it wrong to have sex with a dead person?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#27 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:33 pm

As I read this thread, I don't really see too many posters blaming the alleged victim. I agree with those that strongly detest any form of rape, as I stated in the beginning of my particular post.

That being said, some on this board presently hang out in bars/clubs while some on this board have moved past that scene & are living a family structured lifestyle.

The opinions on this topic are coming from experiences that most of us have encountered while being in a bar/club. Some on this board may have a nice bank account & have possibly been in the same situation as a star, where there's a choice of whatever woman is desired. Some on this board have been out to places where stars walk in & 98% of the women there are hoping that they're the one chosen to go home with the star.

Point being is that when you're capable of having any women in a bar/club, why would you have to choose one that's not interested in what you want?. That's why I said earlier, that woman & her friend knew exactly why they were going to that man's home at 3am.

Once again, I'm not saying that a woman should be forced to do anything. All I'm saying is that common sense will help a person draw an opinion like mine & others in this thread.
chiluv
Bench Warmer
And1: 89

Post#28 » by chiluv » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:42 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:As I read this thread, I don't really see too many posters blaming the alleged victim. I agree with those that strongly detest any form of rape, as I stated in the beginning of my particular post.

That being said, some on this board presently hang out in bars/clubs while some on this board have moved past that scene & are living a family structured lifestyle.

The opinions on this topic are coming from experiences that most of us have encountered while being in a bar/club. Some on this board may have a nice bank account & have possibly been in the same situation as a star, where there's a choice of whatever woman is desired. Some on this board have been out to places where stars walk in & 98% of the women there are hoping that they're the one chosen to go home with the star.

Point being is that when you're capable of having any women in a bar/club, why would you have to choose one that's not interested in what you want?. That's why I said earlier, that woman & her friend knew exactly why they were going to that man's home at 3am.

Once again, I'm not saying that a woman should be forced to do anything. All I'm saying is that common sense will help a person draw an opinion like mine & others in this thread.

What you just wrote is the definition of victim blaming.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#29 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:43 pm

chiluv wrote:
BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:As I read this thread, I don't really see too many posters blaming the alleged victim. I agree with those that strongly detest any form of rape, as I stated in the beginning of my particular post.

What you just wrote is the definition of victim blaming.

How so?

EDIT: Would I be blaming Castro if I defended the alleged victim?
ramadden13
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#30 » by ramadden13 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:50 pm

alucryts wrote:

I agree with this. If she passed out, then I think the clear wrong falls to Starlin. If she didn't, then the whole situation gets murky.

I think that is one of the ciritical things we need to know and don't at this point. I have spent way too much time partying in college since I noticed this, but the term used in the article is "blacked out." That is not synonymous with "passed out." Someone who is blacked out can hold conversation, even intelligent conversation, have semi-normal physical capabilities, even sometimes be only understood as tipsy. However, that person will not have any or at best vague recollection of events when they come out of their blacked out state later.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#31 » by kyrv » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:50 pm

You don't go to prison for putting yourself in harm's way, and the alleged victim is not a celebrity.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#32 » by fleet » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:55 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:

ah ya cant say that. 98% of women may be there to meet stars (to play along), but by "going home" with a star you are saying they all are going to end up having sex. Maybe lots would, but maybe some also want to have a real relationship and don't just want a sexual encounter, or want to use a sexual encounter as an opener to a relationship. That kind of thinking is what gets some of these guys locked up.

I've never had sex where beforehand I had an agreement up front to have sex....... Except for that one time, Okay 67 times :P
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#33 » by kyrv » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:58 pm

fleet wrote:
BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:

ah ya cant say that. 98% of women may be there to meet stars (to play along), but by "going home" with a star you are saying they all are going to end up having sex. Maybe lots would, but maybe some also want to have a real relationship and don't just want a sexual encounter, or use a sexual encounter as an opener to a relationship. That kind of thinking is what gets some of these guys locked up.

I've never had sex where beforehand I had an agreement up front to have sex....... Except for that one time, Okay 67 times :P

Yes he's describing the view that got Mike Tyson among many others in trouble.

I would chalk the 98% to hyperbole but to be honest I've usually seen it presented as 100%. Silliness.

And, maybe she WAS going to have sex with him - but then she passed out. Doesn't matter why she went there. IF her story is true.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#34 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 8:59 pm

While the woman didn't have reasonable expectations about what was happening and why she was there, it wasn't invitation to do things without her consent. However, her story seems strange. She blacks out in his apartment, she wakes up and yells at him to stop, he does and then 12 hours later she calls police? Or he didn't stop and she got away? It's a story that I question the legitimacy of.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#35 » by fleet » Fri Jan 6, 2012 9:02 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:While the woman didn't have reasonable expectations about what was happening and why she was there, it wasn't invitation to do things without her consent. However, her story seems strange. She blacks out in his apartment, she wakes up and yells at him to stop, he does and then 12 hours later she calls police? Or he didn't stop and she got away? It's a story that I question the legitimacy of.

12 hours is nothing. In fact I would bet its a fairly typical frame of time.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#36 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 9:03 pm

I truly get what you guys are saying. Someone posted earlier that no opinions/conclusions should be given until the investigators wrapped things up, but IMO, that goes against human nature. Maybe some of you are capable of not believing one side over the other :dontknow:.

If I said that I didn't have an opinion, I would be lying because the initial circumstantial evidence in that article helped me form an opinion. I simply can't help it.
treis
RealGM
And1: 60

Post#37 » by treis » Fri Jan 6, 2012 9:06 pm

Disagree.

Doing things of a sexual nature to someone asleep that you have prior sexual experience with doesn't rise to the level of a crime.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#38 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 9:15 pm

kyrv wrote:I would chalk the 98% to hyperbole but to be honest I've usually seen it presented as 100%. Silliness.

You gotta give me credit for excluding the 2% :) .

On a serious note, I have a couple of young daughters & GOD forbid if someone took advantage of them. I would go to the ends of this earth to protect them from harm. Me & their mom actually use situations like this article as examples to teach them about the dangers that they may encounter later in their lives. That being said, I am hearing (via posts) what all of you are saying.
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#39 » by Sonny_D1 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 9:26 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:While the woman didn't have reasonable expectations about what was happening and why she was there, it wasn't invitation to do things without her consent. However, her story seems strange. She blacks out in his apartment, she wakes up and yells at him to stop, he does and then 12 hours later she calls police? Or he didn't stop and she got away? It's a story that I question the legitimacy of.

Not to mention this part:

"left the apartment at about 5:30 a.m. getting a ride home from her friend."

Was this the same friend she went there with? If so, where the hell was she the whole time? In other room or hanging out in the lobby?

And if it's another friend that came to pick her up, why wouldn't you go downstairs to the lobby and call the police?

It's all BS imo.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#40 » by alucryts » Fri Jan 6, 2012 9:39 pm

ramadden13 wrote:
alucryts wrote:

I think that is one of the ciritical things we need to know and don't at this point. I have spent way too much time partying in college since I noticed this, but the term used in the article is "blacked out." That is not synonymous with "passed out." Someone who is blacked out can hold conversation, even intelligent conversation, have semi-normal physical capabilities, even sometimes be only understood as tipsy. However, that person will not have any or at best vague recollection of events when they come out of their blacked out state later.

I am not a lawyer or pretend to be, but I am pretty sure Starlin is screwed here because I believe that in Illinois, a woman cannot legally consent if drunk (even if she consents while drunk). If it can be proven that Starlin had sex with her, she was drunk, and she wants to press charges he is SCREWED.

Return to Chicago Cubs