Image Image Image Image

kyle hendricks named the 4th starter

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

kyle hendricks named the 4th starter 

Post#1 » by hermes » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:27 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/po ... api_public
i'd say its a good move, i like giving one of the younger kids a more extended chance (beeler or hendricks). my guess is that the last starter will be one of wada or strailey

they won't need to decide on the 5th spot for a while yet - gives time for alcantara to further cement his case for being on the team the rest of the way
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Re: kyle hendricks named the 4th starter 

Post#2 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:19 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Hendricks get an extended look. He's an interesting prospect. His stuff screams organizational arm or spot starter, but his control numbers scream ace. So I'm hopeful he can be like James Shields who was a similar prospect with mediocre stuff and great control. I won't be upset or disappointed if he ends up as a AAAA player who spends most of the year in AAA and makes a few spot starts. He also could end up a reliever where he could just go all out for one inning, which would make his stuff a bit better, and with his control his low BB rate would be good in a bullpen.

Basically, he is the type of prospect I love to get a chance. Low expectations because of obvious lacking areas, stuff, but has the right tool, control, that he could surprise and be a quality player. There is nothing sexy about a guy who throws a 92 MPH fastball, but if they can put it where they want it can still be very effective. The exact opposite of Junior Lake who has the flashy tools that people get too excited about, power and speed, with no real shot at being a quality baseball player because he lacks the required baseball skills; the ability to make contract.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Re: kyle hendricks named the 4th starter 

Post#3 » by hermes » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:28 am

wada is getting the start on wednesday

Return to Chicago Cubs