Image Image Image Image

Darwin Barney DFA!

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Darwin Barney DFA! 

Post#1 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Alcantara looks to be up for good. Baez is playing 2B in AAA and if they trade Emilio it could set up a call-up for him.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Re: Darwin Barney DFA! 

Post#2 » by hermes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 pm

it was nice having you barney but the future is knocking on the door

good for alcantara, i'm glad he gets to stay and we can see more of him
hermes
RealGM

Post#3 » by hermes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 pm

emilio has to be close to coming back right? wonder if there will be enough time for him to get back up to speed before the deadline passes
NW7
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#4 » by NW7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:59 pm

hermes wrote:emilio has to be close to coming back right? wonder if there will be enough time for him to get back up to speed before the deadline passes

He's in the starting lineup for the Cubs tonight actually.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Post#5 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to trade Emilio in the next week. It just depends on if they can get an offer that makes it worth moving him. I could see them bringing him back next year in a utility role. A bench of Emilio, Valbuena, Lake, Ruggiano and Olt after the kids are up in May would be quality depth. If they are going to be serious about contending next year they will need a strong bench not just for when the kids come up, but to play everyday until they arrive.

Opening Day-
1B-Rizzo, 2B- Emilio, 3B- Valbuena, SS- Castro, CF- Alcantara, RF- Soler, LF- Ruggianno, C- Castillo

May-
1B- Rizzo, 2B- Baez, 3B- Bryant, SS- Castro, CF- Alcantara, RF- Soler, LF- Ruggiano, C- Castillo

July-
1B- Rizzo, 2B- Baez, 3B- Castro, SS- Russell, CF- Alcantara, RF- Soler, LF Bryant, C- Castillo

Russell could be up in May with the others depending on how he finishes this year and does in AFL and AAA. I just think holding him back until July and he has had a full year back after the hamstring to completely recover is possible. With Almora and Schwarber finishing next year in AAA ready to come up in 2016 if someone struggles or to be traded if they need to add a missing piece at the deadline or in the off-season. They'll also have Vogelbach, Amaya and others to fill bench roles or as trade bait.

This is going to be a very interesting off-season. Last year we were looking at Tanaka as the only real FA option. This year I expect all the big pitchers to be legitimate possibilities with the prospects all being about as close to ready as they can get. It's really more of a question now if they will stick to FA for pitching or will give up one of their top prospects for a proven top of the rotation pitcher.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
hermes
RealGM

Post#6 » by hermes » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 pm

yeah i'd be alright either way; if we trade him thats more prospects to stock up, and i like him enough plus his great flexibility would be nice to have on hand going forward

Return to Chicago Cubs