Image Image Image Image

cubs @ rockies 8/5-8/7 baez time!

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Re: cubs @ rockies 8/5-8/7 baez time! 

Post#21 » by karch34 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 11:37 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Hamels at the top of the rotation for the next 5 years would be nice. The problem is that his contract is basically at what he is worth so if the Phillies want the type of packages that were rumored at the deadline there is very little chance the Cubs would work something out for him. If the Phillies are trying to dump the salary and are willing to take 1-3 solid prospects like Candelario, Amaya, Villanueva, Bruno, Vogelbach, etc then I'd do it. Then you have the other issue of Hamels using his veto power to avoid Chicago.

I wouldn't give up Bryant, Russell, Soler, Pierce Johnson, C.J. Edwards or Tseng. Hamels is a 4 fWAR pitcher and a legitimate ace, but his contract prevents any value from being extracted there. Still, there is an advantage to trading for Hamels over trying to sign Lester or Scherzer in that there is no guarantee that either of them want to come to Chicago. I'm just not a fan of giving up big time prospects for a guy who isn't going to be worth his contract, probably coming $10M short over the rest of the deal. Not a significant leak and probably less then you'd have in signing Lester or Scherzer, but still the lack of surplus value means you do not give up any of the prospects you expect to be playing for you next year or be significant pieces in 2016. The best offer I would make is Almora straight up or McKinny, Vogelbach and Amaya.

Great post. Article made it sound like Hamels wasn't opposed to Chicago in 2012, so I guess the bigger concern would be what kind of deal would make it work. Not sure if Philly is really serious or Amaro is saving face by trying to make it look like he was trying to make a deal at the deadline and just ran out of time. He caught a lot of heat.

Curious as to what the Insider article had to say about possible Hamels deals with the Cubs.
NW7
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#22 » by NW7 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 12:31 am

karch34 wrote:so I guess the bigger concern would be what kind of deal would make it work.

When the Dodgers inquired about Hamels at the deadline the Phillies reportedly wanted: Corey Seager, Julio Urias AND Joc Pederson. That's three top 30 prospects in Baseball. Now obviously what the Phillies ask for and what they ultimately accept are two different things. From the sounds of it the Phillies have no intention of moving Hamels unless you want to pay 130 cents on the dollar.

This ultimately makes sense considering who their GM is. Amaro has been stubborn these past few years and refused to sell off and start the rebuild. Not sure why anyone would expect them to trade the player with the most value and continue their inevitable rebuild.
NW7
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#23 » by NW7 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 12:32 am

Can't wait to see Baez live on Tuesday. This team (regardless of how the off-season goes) is going to be one of the funnest to watch next year. The past few years of pain have been totally justified :lol:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#24 » by hermes » Fri Aug 8, 2014 12:52 am

wow great game by baez

hendricks with another great start

its happening man, its happening
IndySports0923
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#25 » by IndySports0923 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:02 am

2 homeruns from Baez, one more from Castro and a web gem in center from Alcantara. The future reared its beautiful head today :)
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by karch34 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:32 am

If Soler gets the expected September call up and does anything it's going to be complete madness with shouts of "Bring up Bryant!" through the fall and winter.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Post#27 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Aug 8, 2014 7:44 am

There is almost no chance Bryant is up before 2-3 weeks into next season. They are not going to blow a year of service time for 2-3 weeks. Soler is already on a major league contract so service time is irrelevant with him. I'm more interested in how fast Russell gets a bump to AAA. Now that he is hitting as expected after recovering from the torn hamstring that cost him a large chunk of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved up soon to finish the season out in AAA.

Right now I think an ideal time frame for everything is:

- Soler up after the AAA playoffs in RF
- Bryant up 2-3 weeks into 2015 after saving the year of service time in LF
- Russell up with Bryant at SS

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Castro moved to 3B in Spring Training and left there when the season starts. That is assuming they do not move any of the prospects between now and next season for pitching. I'd like to see them make a trade for Hamels, but I just don't think it will happen with what the Phillies were rumored to be asking for him at the deadline.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by karch34 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 8:29 pm

I agree. I don't think Bryant comes up any earlier and you probably see Castro at 3B with one of the utility guys manning short the first few weeks.

Return to Chicago Cubs