Image Image Image Image

2016-17 off-season thread - fire up that stove!

stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Re: 2016-17 off-season thread - fire up that stove! 

Post#21 » by stl705 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 pm

I'm not interested in Archer at all for that price. If I'm the Cubs, I keep Schwarber in the OF, and move Javy to 2B full time. I just think his glove is too good to have as a utility, put him at 2B and call it a day with a gold glove middle infield. At pitcher, I like Montgomery in the pen unless we get desperate in-season.

Pick-up two more bottom level starters that can eat innings via FA or small trade. Make another trade before deadline to bolster pen if need be. At this point, any and every non-pitching prospect is a trading chip to win a championship each of the next 5 years.

C - Contreras, Montero
1B - Rizzo
2B - Baez
3B - Bryant
SS - Russell
LF - Schwarber (4/5), Zobrist (1/5)
CF - Heyward/Jay/Almora - Spring training can dictate who gets what share, likely howard with majority due to the $$.
RF - Zobrist (3/5), Heyward (2/5)
P - Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks, Lackey, Cheap FA/trade, Cheap FA/trade.
RP - Davis, Strop, Montgomery, Edwards, Rondon,

IMO, this is the best route to give Schwarber & Zobrist 400+ ABs with above avg defense in Center and/or Right, while also still putting Javy's glove at 2B everyday.

We all like to look the other way, but injury will happen. Hopefully it will not be an issue, however I wouldn't make a rash trade now when we may not need it during a 162+ grind.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,565

Post#22 » by hermes » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:05 am

what about schwarber leading off? to unorthodox? or is some order of rizzo/bryant/schwarber in the middle set in stone more or less?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#23 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:43 pm

hermes wrote:what about schwarber leading off? to unorthodox? or is some order of rizzo/bryant/schwarber in the middle set in stone more or less?

If Schwarber could run the bases decent then sure, but he can't. Rizzo at leadoff would good or even Bryant. Both Rizzo and Bryant can bring you a .380 OBP along with quality base running. Bryant would probably be the best option if you are going to go with an unorthodox leadoff guy. I've always like the idea of the best hitters being at the top of the lineup and ignoring the power hitter batting 4th and best hitter batting 3rd stuff. It just doesn't make sense to want your best hitter coming up 3rd when they could be sitting there with 2 outs. Why not have your best hitter come up first and have your best chance of putting pressure on the opposing pitcher.

Zobrist is the only high OBP guy left that isn't a "power hitter" or "run producer" so I expect him to hit leadoff. This means you are starting Zobrist over Baez, which might not be optimal overall. They could also put Heyward in CF and Zobrist in RF to keep Baez at 2B, but then you are sticking Almora in AAA when he's proven everything he has to prove there and hit .321/.345/.571 in September when he got called back up. The only thing that really makes sense is a move for another young starter that the Cubs can control for years, like Archer. This clears out some of the logjam and they would still have near ready prospects that they will call up in bench roles as needed.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#24 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:49 pm

stl705 wrote:I'm not interested in Archer at all for that price. If I'm the Cubs, I keep Schwarber in the OF, and move Javy to 2B full time. I just think his glove is too good to have as a utility, put him at 2B and call it a day with a gold glove middle infield. At pitcher, I like Montgomery in the pen unless we get desperate in-season.

Pick-up two more bottom level starters that can eat innings via FA or small trade. Make another trade before deadline to bolster pen if need be. At this point, any and every non-pitching prospect is a trading chip to win a championship each of the next 5 years.

Almora is a better defensive CF than Baez is a defensive 2B. That is even with my belief that Baez is the best 2B in the NL. That is just how good Almora is in CF. Almora will win a gold glove this year if he is the starter. If Baez has to play for his glove then Almora has to play for his. Montgomery is your 5th starter unless the Cubs pick up someone better. There is no one better on the FA market. So the only way Montgomery goes back to the bullpen is trading for Archer, Sonny Gray or someone else that will cost Schwarber in trade. The good news is that giving up Schwarber now is maximizing his trade value and he'll be in the AL playing DH, the only position he is an average fielder at, for a team that will miss the playoffs where he won't hurt the Cubs.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,565

Post#25 » by hermes » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:11 am

1 year, $6 million for koji uehara

Return to Chicago Cubs