ImageImageImageImage

Why the hell didn't Orlando trade their expirings for Gasol?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#61 » by lovehoops01 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:50 pm

Just like the fact that Kevin McHale is a former Boston Celtic and sent his star to the Boston Celtics.....

Jerry West, the former star and GM of the Los Angeles Lakers, never has been the general manager of the Orlando Magic, but he has been the GM of the Memphis Grizzlies and remains friends with the owner. And that's how that deal got done, baby.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#62 » by UCF » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:02 am

This has to be the cheapest Star trade I've seen in a while. I think the only thing I remember close to this bad was the K-Mart trade to Denver... which turned out imo to be a blessing to NJ.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#63 » by magicfan4life05 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:07 am

^
dont forget baron davis to GS for dale davis and speedy claxton, that turned out to be a great trade for hornets only because of their own pick (cp3)

and also dont forget the infamous VC trade...
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
jamlando
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#64 » by jamlando » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:12 am

You guys are talking crap about Otis, let's take a look at Memphis. First, sources have them trading Swift to the Nets for Jason Collins. Not certain if this trade will go thru now because of the Gasol trade. If it does, Memphis will have 3 big stiffs - 2 top 1st round draft busts in Darko & Kwame and Jason Collins. Not exactly a scary front line.

I don't understand the choices made here. Darko has already been such a disappointment for them and then they are looking to pick up 2 more stiffs that are worse than Darko. Good luck Memphis!

I'd take our frontcourt over that garbage any day.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#65 » by N4U|Redux » Sat Feb 2, 2008 12:51 am

We couldnt' top freaking Jason Collins to get Swift?

I don't really like Swift that much, but he's certainly better than any bench PF we've currently got, or likely will get if this is how Otis is going to be.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#66 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:28 am

n0tforyou wrote:We couldnt' top freaking Jason Collins to get Swift?

I don't really like Swift that much, but he's certainly better than any bench PF we've currently got, or likely will get if this is how Otis is going to be.

Why would we want to? NJ is overpaying for that bum.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#67 » by N4U|Redux » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:47 am

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why would we want to? NJ is overpaying for that bum.

For a guy like Collins he's worth the risk.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#68 » by richboy » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:00 am

Memphis is trying to become the top player in a very strong free agent class. They already have some great young players and should have another high pick. This deal is really Gasol for whoever free agent they sign this offseason.

The Magic might been able to match this deal by giving Memphis more expiring contracts and taking on Cardinals contract. Fran V plus JJ might be even better than JC. Fact is Otis is not a pro-active GM. He won't give up any of his precious players for Gasol but I'm sure if Kwame Brown is cut he be the first to call.
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#69 » by MoGrAdY » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:05 am

Not only is the deal horrible for memphis. But JC is no good to them, they have Lowry and Conley at PG already..
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#70 » by N4U|Redux » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:22 am

richboy wrote:The Magic might been able to match this deal by giving Memphis more expiring contracts and taking on Cardinals contract.

I wouldnt' take on his contract for softy Gasol or cannot play in a system Swift.
streetp0et
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#71 » by streetp0et » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:22 am

funny thing is, they had to sign mckie to make the salary match. there's another player out there who can also be sign and trade, PJ Brown, and the Bulls have his bird rights. the reason why this deal is being questioned is because of all the offseason rumors about gasol to the bulls. and with their slow start and uninspired play of gordon and deng, it's hard to believe that the bulls did nothing when it seems like memphis was no longer demanding both of them with their settling for garbage from the lakers. even if they did offer only one 1st round pick, it would still be worth more than two from the lakers who are now perennial champion contender. and both deng and gordon are 'expiring' if they choose not to resign them. all in all, this deal reeks of foul play.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#72 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:13 am

JERRY WEST! JERRY WEST! JERRY WEST! JERRY WEST! JERRY WEST!

You guys underestimate the power of the logo.

If Memphis had made a deal with Orlando, the Lakers would not have gotten better and they might have struggled a little without Andrew Bynum while he's out hurt. Now they have the players to give them a chance at winning big again and getting Kobe a ring without Shaq. I cannot believe you guys cannot see this.
shanks
Rookie

Post#73 » by shanks » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:35 am

did anyone else see this little item at the bottom of sportsline's recap of tonight's game?

"Aaron McKie, who had been a volunteer assistant coach with the Sixers this season, was signed earlier Friday by the Los Angeles Lakers and then traded to the Memphis Grizzlies as part of the deal for F Pau Gasol. A 13-year veteran with Portland, Detroit, Philadelphia and the Lakers, McKie is expected to be released by Memphis. Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski said McKie was signed for a "substantial amount of money."

what the hell is THIS about? you can sign retired players just to be apart of a trade for expirings?!?!? i've never, ever heard of this.

if this report is true, and i haven't heard mckie's name in any other report, it goes along way to discrediting the validity of this trade.
shanks
Rookie

Post#74 » by shanks » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:35 am

Tmac970
Senior
And1: 4

Post#75 » by Tmac970 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 6:51 am

I saw this earlier and was wondering the same thing.
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#76 » by Idunkonyou2 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 8:39 am

How in the hell do the Lakers always come out smelling like roses? That has to be one of the most one sided trades in recent memory. And to think if salary cap relieve is what they wanted, the Magic had 6, yes, 6 expiring contracts to use. UNBELIEVABLE!

Otis can redeem himself by getting Miller back, otherwise I think he should resign.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#77 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:07 am

Idunkonyou2 wrote:How in the hell do the Lakers always come out smelling like roses? That has to be one of the most one sided trades in recent memory. And to think if salary cap relieve is what they wanted, the Magic had 6, yes, 6 expiring contracts to use. UNBELIEVABLE!

Otis can redeem himself by getting Miller back, otherwise I think he should resign.

Why do you say that? What makes you think the Magic ever had a chance to get in on this deal? Jerry West was Lakers GM, then Grizzlies GM and remains friends with Grizzlies owner Mike Heisley, Lakers owner Jerry Buss and Kobe. He still attends Lakers games. Kobe has been screaming, and Bynum got hurt. West obviously greased the wheel to help out both of his former teams to get the things they wanted. Plenty of teams had expiring contracts, but only the Lakers were able to get it done. There's a reason for that. According to Mark Stein, plenty of GMs are not very happy about it.

Oh, and by the way, Chris Sheridan writes that Chris Wallace (Grizz GM) says they are not trading Mike Miller for nothing. It sounds like he meant it that they are NOT going to trade him under any circumstances -- not that they'll trade him but have to get something back. They need at least one vet. Unfortunately for Miller (or maybe he's fine with it), I think he gets to be it.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#78 » by damo[23] » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:31 am

Well seems like 28 other teams dropped the ball aswell...

Good logic.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#79 » by craig01 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:45 pm

damo[23] wrote:Well seems like 28 other teams dropped the ball aswell...

Good logic.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#80 » by OrlandoMagic » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:15 pm

I understand Grizz wanted young and expring... But does anyone ese wonder if they even asked about Bynum??

Return to Orlando Magic