Olympics Forum

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Olympics Forum 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 pm

We have noticed a lot of Olympic Threads on various forums.

About a month ago, we created an Olympics Forum in our Other Sports section for everyone to discuss The Beijing Games.

viewforum.php?f=335

We hope to see many of you chatting with RealGM posters from all sports about what has been a great start to the Games.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Re: Olympics Forum 

Post#2 » by MaryvalesFinest » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 pm

Go USA!
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,832

Post#3 » by Dick Tate » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:25 am

Michael Phelps kicks ass!

That said, anyone find it odd that all of these swimming events are setting new world records? There was one race where all three medalists broke the previous record. Makes you wonder... is it improved training? Lotions or caps that reduce drag? Or dare I say it, a new undetectable hormone/steroid?
GreenWithEnvy
Analyst
And1: 163

Post#4 » by GreenWithEnvy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 am

i left some michael phelps in the toilet this morning.
Willie Green Is The Man!
cold5
Veteran
And1: 115

Post#5 » by cold5 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:45 am

Is there a way to just record the USA basketball and baseball on my DVR, for those of us who have Comcast and don't want to stay up all night to watch the games? NBC just dumped both of them in a 10 hour glut of olympic stuff, most of which I could care less about.
PeaceNluv
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by PeaceNluv » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:50 am

Dick Tate wrote:Michael Phelps kicks ass!

That said, anyone find it odd that all of these swimming events are setting new world records? There was one race where all three medalists broke the previous record. Makes you wonder... is it improved training? Lotions or caps that reduce drag? Or dare I say it, a new undetectable hormone/steroid?

The commentators were saying the other day that it's because of the new suits that the athletes have decided to wear, and the pool itself(the water cube) enhances the speed of the athletes.
formally known as VC4real
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#7 » by greenbeans » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:39 am

cold5 wrote:Is there a way to just record the USA basketball and baseball on my DVR, for those of us who have Comcast and don't want to stay up all night to watch the games? NBC just dumped both of them in a 10 hour glut of olympic stuff, most of which I could care less about.

I feel ya man, it sucks. I'm into the whole olympic thing, but i don't actually wanna watch badminton etc. they dont seem to do the greatest job of utilizing the 3 or 4 channels properly. NBC could have done a much better job imo.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#8 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:52 am

My USA basketball is on the USA channel ( HD TOO)

Your DVR should reflect that info.

My recording is set for USA vs. Greece tomorrow at 5 am PST.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#9 » by greenbeans » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:58 am

Phil_2.0 wrote:My USA basketball is on the USA channel ( HD TOO)

Your DVR should reflect that info.

My recording is set for USA vs. Greece tomorrow at 5 am PST.

damn you and your sensible tv. Comcast sucks. its just a block on USA from 2am-noon labeld summer Olympics
Tooshort
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Tooshort » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:55 am

cold5 wrote:Is there a way to just record the USA basketball and baseball on my DVR, for those of us who have Comcast and don't want to stay up all night to watch the games? NBC just dumped both of them in a 10 hour glut of olympic stuff, most of which I could care less about.

Here is the trick:

Go to My DVR then scroll down to "Set a Recording" then scroll to "Manual Recording".
You can then enter in all the info and only record the couple hours of the game....
Yea, Comcast sucks.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#11 » by carrottop12 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:04 pm

Good to see the USA get another medal in Greco Roman wrestling today.

That's three Olympics in a row where the US has showed well.
Cav-Titan-Cub
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by Cav-Titan-Cub » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Howard Mass wrote:We have noticed a lot of Olympic Threads on various forums.

About a month ago, we created an Olympics Forum in our Other Sports section for everyone to discuss The Beijing Games.

viewforum.php?f=335

We hope to see many of you chatting with RealGM posters from all sports about what has been a great start to the Games.

Good to hear...GO USA!
london sonic
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by london sonic » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Do they check the womens chinese gymnasts passports ?
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#14 » by Posey H8er » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm

london sonic wrote:Do they check the womens chinese gymnasts passports ?

The Chinese government provided the documentation for the women gymnasts. That's all the IOC needs.
K1NG
General Manager
And1: 856

Post#15 » by K1NG » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:03 am

Posey H8er wrote:
london sonic wrote:Do they check the womens chinese gymnasts passports ?

The Chinese government provided the documentation for the women gymnasts. That's all the IOC needs.

Come on... it's obvious they all aren't at least 16.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#16 » by sacking123 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:14 am

PeaceNluv wrote:

The commentators were saying the other day that it's because of the new suits that the athletes have decided to wear, and the pool itself(the water cube) enhances the speed of the athletes.

The new swim suits also have some sort of bouyancy thing in the stomach, that is what is helping so much.
word is they may ban them after the olympics (these suits literally came in just before the olympics started).
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Mindflayer
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#17 » by Mindflayer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:08 am

Actually there is a very good reason. The Olympic swimming pools must have 2 or more meters depth. Most Olympic race pools have the 2+ meters depth. The Chinese pools have 3 meters depth. This creates far less in drag when swimming straight as the wave bounce up from the floor is less. This is even bigger on the turn around against the wall as the blow back wave will be slightly less for the swimmers behind the leader. On a final note this may help Phelps as he dives deeper (though slower than others off the block) on his initial jump to start.

The fact that Phelps emulates a dolphin better than anyone else ever under water is still is an impact also. That and pool depth are the biggest reasons Phelps and everyone is breaking records.

Michael Phelps is the Tiger Woods of his sport. Enjoy it while you can.
MaryvalesFinest wrote:
"J-Rich is a better dunker than Kobe and can put up the same stats if he was "the man" of the Lakers, advantage = J-Rich"
YiOF
Sophomore

Post#18 » by YiOF » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:36 am

I have a question for everyone who is from a foreign country. Does your country rank Olympic medals by gold or by total metals like here in US?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#19 » by studcrackers » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:42 am

mr. mass, im a little scared going to the olympic forum all by myself, can you hold my hand and take me there? *extends hand to howard mass*
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#20 » by eyeatoma » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:05 am

YiOF wrote:I have a question for everyone who is from a foreign country. Does your country rank Olympic medals by gold or by total metals like here in US?

Gold, the US is one of the only countries, if not the only country that ranks it by total medals...

Return to Global Announcements