Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

your thoughts on the other shaun 

Post#1 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Why not Shaun?
August 20th, 2008, 9:39 am · 10 Comments · posted by ART THOMPSON III, OCREGISTER.COM

Going into training camp in October, it would appear that the Lakers’ backcourt is crammed past capacity. Locked in for jobs are Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar and Sasha Vujacic. Battling for jobs will be Coby Karl, Joe Crawford, Dwayne Mitchell and Sun Yue. But as crowded as the guard spot appears to be, it would not hurt the Lakers to take a long look at Shaun Livingston, who has been playing five-on-five, for at least the past week and a half, at fitness trainer Tim Grover’s Attack Athletics facility in Chicago.

Clippers athletic trainer Jasen Powell confirmed Wednesday that Livingston has progressed to playing full-scale, full-court pickup games with the contingent of 20 or so NBA players that work out regularly at Grover’s site. The 22-year old Livingston has spent the bulk of this summer working out there, primarily because the Clippers declined to extend a qualifying offer to him for the 2008-2009 season, then subsequently renounced their rights to him. Livingston is an unrestricted free agent. Livingston was the Clippers’ first-round draft pick in 2004, selected fourth-overall in the NBA draft. His career has been beset by injuries but when he has been healthy, the 6-foot-7 Livingston has shown the skills and potential to be one of the league’s premier floor leaders and an all-defensive team pick. It was nearly 18 months ago, when Livingston suffered a frightening and catastrophic injury to his left knee. He underwent surgery from renowned Alabama-based orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, to repair ruptures to all the major ligaments in his knee, as well as cartilage damage.

Powell and Clippers strength and conditioning coach Rich Williams put in countless hours of implementing, coordinating and monitoring Livingston’s rehabilitation program. The Clippers’ basketball staff tried to hold out for as long as it could, to assess whether Livingston would be able to play this coming season, after he missed the final 26 games of the 2006-2007 season and the entire 2007-2008 season. However, when Livingston still has not progressed past playing one-on-one, the Clippers moved forward to solidify their backcourt. After signing Baron Davis to a five-year, $65 million contract, the Clippers re-acquired guard Jason Hart from the Utah Jazz, in exchange for guard Brevin Knight, and shortly thereafter, signed veteran free agent guard Jason Williams. It would behoove the Lakers to take at least a cursory look at Livingston because, according to several NBA insiders, if healthy he could be one of the NBA’s top backcourt players.

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/08/20/why-not-shaun/

too injury prone? too much money? too many guards already? would light up a fire under Farmars a$$ again like Crittenton did? no shirt, no shoes, no service?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
lakerboy
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: your thoughts on the other shaun 

Post#2 » by lakerboy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:12 pm

darn snaq thats a good idea,but we both know mitch wont do it but even just for as a camp invite might just light that fire under his arse again cuz he played like man on a mission when critt was here
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#3 » by kno » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:26 pm

I didnt read the article Snaq posted (simply because im too lazy and im wathing the USA/ARG game), but whats SHaun's contract status as of right now?
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#4 » by dockingsched » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:47 pm

he's a free agent. he already turned down a guaranteed contract offer from the clips, presumably something near the minimum. shaun should look for a team that is rebuilding and can afford to give him playing time. he should also look for a fast breaking team that will hide his lack of jumpshot and highlight his very good court vision.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#5 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:31 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:

too injury prone? too much money? too many guards already? would light up a fire under Farmars a$$ again like Crittenton did? no shirt, no shoes, no service?

If the general feeling is that Jordan can't be motivated on his own to improve and can only when they sign another guard then something is wrong. That's the whole reason for these interviews and work outs at draft time, to gauge the players motivation.

I like Shaun and wouldn't mind the chance to see what he's got and to give the team a different look at guard. But not just to make Jordan work harder.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#6 » by ShowtimeFan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:05 am

Mark me down as thinking Shaun is worth the risk, and with the Lakers he could stay in LA...
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#7 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:16 pm

Livingston is worth the risk and the $

First off his comeback would be just as feel good as Turiafs story. That was some injury. I played against that guy in HS. Even as a freshman in a national tourney in Vegas he was the baddest guy out there.

But all that aside. Watching him w/ the Clippers when he had a few of those breakout game and looked a lot like Magic was so cool. Hand the man a 1 year deal for a little under 3 mil. He should earn it. He is 6-7, has experience, a work ethic, he is an alter boy, and a great young talent. Guys like that dont come along often. That guy is as clean cut as they come and a class act. His work ethic will make him fit in w/ this team.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
BCLakerFan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by BCLakerFan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:48 pm

I also agree with bringing him in on a 2 yr contract with the 2nd yr a team option. If his knee is healthy and can hold up he brings alot to the table at 6'7" and point gaurd skills and with our roster he would need to earn the spot. Not a bad risk IMO.
Lakers Rule!!!
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#9 » by Dexmor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:31 am

Of course the Lakers should go for him. If he was healthy he would have been completely worthy of going so high in the draft and he is so young and a pg which takes the longest to get out of all the positions and he has got it. He just needs to get healthy. If healthy he is 100x more talented then all of our pg's put together since Magic.
Whether competition makes Farmar work harder or not it doesn't matter, they should still sign him and if was able to play 70 games a year then Jordan Farmar would be a Laker footnote.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#10 » by Erik Eleven » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:33 am

Do it, Mitch! Stockpiling amazing players can never be wrong.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:23 pm

shaun and golden state had reportedly been talking. with the injury to ellis, i wouldn't be surprised if he signed with them pretty soon.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#12 » by Erik Eleven » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Hopefully we can snag him before that happens ^.

Come on, Mitch! Make it happen!
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#13 » by hermes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:15 pm

hurry Mitch, GS must have their own mint the way they are throwing money at people
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by dockingsched » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 pm

mullin interested in livingston:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... -tomorrow/
-Q: Are you interested in Shaun Livingston?

-MULLIN: Going to watch him work out Thursday, as a matter of fact…

-Q: With Monta out, would it be a problem for you to add another point guard who might not be ready right away, also?

-MULLIN: I think Marcus will be ready and C.J. will be ready. I’m just speaking of today, roster-wise. We use Stephen as a playmaker. Anthony, obviously we experimented with him during the summer. There will be some different ways we’ll look at things.

-Q: So Livingston’s status is…

-MULLIN: What Shaun’s status is… His status is what it is. We’re going to watch him work out tomorrow.

-Q: In Chicago?

-MULLIN: Yes.

-Q: Generally, do you like Livingston’s game?

-MULLIN: Yeah, I do.

-Q: Were you scheduled to watch Livingston before Monta’s injury?

-MULLIN: Way before.

as far as the lakers, i don't think it makes any sense. shaun needs a season to prove he's healthy. he's not even going to be ready to go 100% for quite some time. are the lakers, a team that is a title contender and who already has a young pg in need of more and more pt, going to give this kid pt? no. whats the incentive? next offseason, the lakers are back to competing for his services just like anyone else, except they would have been the suckers that invested time in him without anything to show for it. let someone else give him pt, its not like that team gets his bird rights or anything.
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#15 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:32 am

the guys a bum.
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#16 » by ShowtimeFan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:03 pm

As I said I really THOUGHT Livingston (I presume) would have been worth the risk,

but with the signing of Sun, no way the Lakers carry 4 PG's...

NO WAY...
Leonidas
Starter
And1: 2

Post#17 » by Leonidas » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 am

If he works out for Golden St. I would hate that.. Just because they stole to LA playas from us and the Clips. If this kid balls this season and stays injured free, I'm hatin on him and hopin gaurds Kobe to get his ankles broke....lol

Propz to Kno for the sig..
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#18 » by Slava » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:51 am

I've read some article with an NBA scout mentioning that he's just a shell of his former self and the injury has affected him psychologically more than anything else. He goes onto say that Livingston looks haunted by the seriousness of the injury and he's just being too skeptical everytime he goes up for a lay up or a rebound.

I hope he bounces out of it but thats some seriously bad news for the dude.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers