Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Rowell speaks 

Post#1 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Dec 4, 2008 7:08 am

http://media.knbr.com/knbr/1203rowell.mp3

http://www.examiner.com/x-441-Golden-St ... s-Examiner

Rowell: "Basically with respect to Monta, he's started his rehabilitation and we think he's following it and doing a good job of getting back onto the court. We feel he is going to be healthy.

"The only reason that provison is in the document that we gave him was to protect the team long-term. We haven't spent more than the time you and I have spent talking about it now thinking about going forward with that."

We've been talking to Stephen over the last year about an extension and all the basketball guys in the organization were aware of what we were doing.

"They were aware." That's great that Rowell notifies the basketball people about his long-term contract negotiations with players.

"It's important to note, there are 130 players in the NBA that make more money than Stephen does over the next two years. It's not as if we've gone crazy with out extension with Stephen. He's paid for what he's delivered to the team."
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Rowell speaks 

Post#2 » by St.Nick » Thu Dec 4, 2008 7:13 am

Why does he talk about what Stephen is being paid over the next two years? Thats the money from his OLD contract, not the one that Rowell gave him.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#3 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Dec 4, 2008 7:27 am

He's saying Jack is underpaid, so he's making up for it.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#4 » by St.Nick » Thu Dec 4, 2008 7:29 am

Thats what friends are for, I guess.
Tivon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Tivon » Thu Dec 4, 2008 6:01 pm

get that guy out of here. seriously.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#6 » by FNQ » Thu Dec 4, 2008 6:07 pm

He's giving Jack his due.. 3-30 for the only guy outside of AR/Ronny with real fire on the team... someone who actually gets teammates involved... damn you Bobby Rowell... we need more Maggette's and other Nelson ideas to get this thing going.... passing is for losers...
warriortone
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#7 » by warriortone » Thu Dec 4, 2008 6:10 pm

How can you talk salary protection then give Corey, Stephen and Nelson all extensions and then trade for Crawford?

Like Sleepy said, the Rowell era is gonna go down in history.
Sleepy51 wrote: a full blown groupthink brainfart
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#8 » by FNQ » Thu Dec 4, 2008 6:12 pm

They only wanted to protect the salary from certain players... it was just a buzzword to justify losing Baron to the fanboys... "Salary protection" died a week later when we signed Maggette/Turiaf... Rowell and everyone else not named Mullin knew that no team was going to be a consistent winner with Baron in charge...
Khoee
Banned User

Post#9 » by Khoee » Thu Dec 4, 2008 6:14 pm

We don't have a single untradable contract on our roster right now...Rowell for exec of the year!
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#10 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Dec 4, 2008 7:11 pm

Khoee wrote:We don't have a single untradable contract on our roster right now...Rowell for exec of the year!
After he trades Maggs ..Then I'll be a huge R fan
warriortone
Veteran

Post#11 » by warriortone » Thu Dec 4, 2008 7:18 pm

You shouldn't get credit for cleaning up the mess that you made.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Dec 4, 2008 7:29 pm

He also got rid of BoomFizzle for me..We have Crawford and Turiaf..I'd be a HUGE Rowell fan if it wasnt for the Maggs-Horror Story signings
warriortone
Veteran

Post#13 » by warriortone » Thu Dec 4, 2008 8:05 pm

Those are two huge ifs. Not to mention, he would have kept Baron around for the right price. He has no clue about basketball players and he got completely gamed by Nellie. That guy is a world class BS artist. Maybe the best ever.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#14 » by St.Nick » Thu Dec 4, 2008 8:26 pm

Didn't Mullin claim the Maggette signing? Talking about what a leader in the weight room he would be?

I'm just sayin'...its not all about: Mully= Good; Nellie= Demented; Rowell= Evil and dumb.

If its anything, all of them have their pluses and minuses.
Khoee
Banned User

Post#15 » by Khoee » Thu Dec 4, 2008 8:55 pm

the more LeBron talks about NY, the more desperate the Cavs get...they have to win a championship before the summer of 2010...and nothing says NBA Finals like Corey Maggette...
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#16 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Dec 4, 2008 10:50 pm

"Salary protection" is just nice-speak for team option. Five years is a joke. Baron we'll sign you for 20 years, $400 million! But after your first year there is a team option. Gotta protect that salary!
Souvlaki
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#17 » by Souvlaki » Fri Dec 5, 2008 10:36 pm

St.Nick wrote:Didn't Mullin claim the Maggette signing? Talking about what a leader in the weight room he would be?

I'm just sayin'...its not all about: Mully= Good; Nellie= Demented; Rowell= Evil and dumb.

If its anything, all of them have their pluses and minuses.

The average fan here isn't smart enough to have a nuanced take on any coach or player like that. It's either hate or love. Makes for (Please Use More Appropriate Word) conversation.

The front office has been moving in a positive direction. As I said from the get go with Maggette, any contract is tradable and no matter how much you may hate his lack of defense or passing, Corey is an asset that can be parlayed into more substantial talent. Anyone who claims to know whether the signing was good or bad at this point is just spitting in the wind.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
Subaculta
Analyst

Post#18 » by Subaculta » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:23 am

Souvlaki wrote:
The average fan here isn't smart enough to have a nuanced take on any coach or player like that.

...Anyone who claims to know whether the signing was good or bad at this point is just spitting in the wind.

My reason for bashing the signing/and Rowell, is that it was a bad signing just from an organizational standpoint.

The Warriors threw money at Brand... then Arenas... and finally Maggette (this is all fact), so what was the blueprint here? A PF, then a combo guard/PG and finally a pretty one dimensional SF. What was the plan?

Ok, sure the Warriors might have been thinking that they needed to replace the scoring that they were losing in Baron, but then, if they knew Harrington was unhappy, why not set up the Crawford trade early on??

Ok, so they knew that once they resigned Beans/Monta, the cap space that Baron vacated would disappear... so why not use that cap space to help facilitate some early summer trades?? Want some examples?

get involved in the draft day Minnesota/Memphis trade - how about we take Mike Miller, and send off Belinelli? Miller shoots better, rebounds and passes much better then Maggs, and his contract is three years shorter (maybe we even throw in the first we wasted on Marcus Williams and get one of Memphis three point guards back)...

next we use the rest of our cap space and trade a second round pick for Marcus Camby... then at that point we resign Beans/Monta

Monta/Crawford
Jackson/Azu
Miller/Randolph
Camby/Wright
Beidrins

Nelson could still have played a ton with the lineups (Crawford/Monta backcourt... Camby off the bench, etc)

that team would have played better D, and, the best part is Camby becomes valuable as an expiring contract at the break, and Miller is a short contract.

the Maggette signing was stupid because it reflects the intelligence of the man running this organization currently (begins with a R and ends with an owell)

thanks for the sig Boogie!
Souvlaki
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#19 » by Souvlaki » Sat Dec 6, 2008 1:22 am

The Warriors lost "talent" with the departure of Baron. Getting Maggette was just a lateral move and a temporary one at that. I haven't heard anyone in the organization say that he is the future, or that they are looking to build around him. He's a stop gap in a season that wasn't going to amount to much anyway. They knew that. I knew that. So what did you expect out of this season?

At the end of this year, Maggette will have a mid-tier contract for a mid-tier performance player. Very tradable. If Monta comes back, and Randolph can pull his head out of his ass, maybe Maggette goes to the bench, setting up a trade scenario. Until then, don't panic. In the long run, having him on the roster could be a good move.

And also, a lot of what you say is with 20/20 hindsight. It's not really fair to judge the management based on that, unless they possess a crystal ball that no one knows about.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
Subaculta
Analyst

Post#20 » by Subaculta » Sat Dec 6, 2008 4:00 am

Souvlaki wrote:The Warriors lost "talent" with the departure of Baron. Getting Maggette was just a lateral move and a temporary one at that. I haven't heard anyone in the organization say that he is the future, or that they are looking to build around him. He's a stop gap in a season that wasn't going to amount to much anyway. They knew that. I knew that. So what did you expect out of this season?

At the end of this year, Maggette will have a mid-tier contract for a mid-tier performance player. Very tradable. If Monta comes back, and Randolph can pull his head out of his ass, maybe Maggette goes to the bench, setting up a trade scenario. Until then, don't panic. In the long run, having him on the roster could be a good move.

And also, a lot of what you say is with 20/20 hindsight. It's not really fair to judge the management based on that, unless they possess a crystal ball that no one knows about.

of course all the suggestions that I have are going to be hindsight... but if you want I'll give you another 10 current teams that are looking to cut salary and have some desirable pieces. The point is, the Warriors should have a plan, and it's obvious that they don't.

As for Baron being an asset, and Maggette being an asset.... tell me which one has more value - cap space, or a one dimensional (scoring) player with five years remaining? Cap space (or expiring contracts) got the Lakers Gasol and the Warriors Baron Davis... lets revisit this subject when we find out what the Warriors get for Maggette... my guess is that it's not first round picks, expiring contracts or young talent.

thanks for the sig Boogie!

Return to Golden State Warriors