ImageImageImageImageImage

Is JO's Injury a Smokescreen?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Is JO's Injury a Smokescreen? 

Post#1 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:01 am

i havent heard anything about his "injury". I havent heard any updates and this comes to me as a surprise because usually he speaks to the media i havent seen him in any post game interviews maybe some of you have but i havent.

I remember when he was injured before he came infront of the media and showed them his knee, now i cant even see him in the arena at our home game. Does anyone else believe something is going down especially since the heat

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Miami HEAT are on the verge of bringing back quasi-retired center Alonzo Mourning. Mourning, who has been counted out more than a few times, is determined to come back one more time. This time he hopes to leave on his own terms, not terms dictated by an injury.

That strikes me as odd, how will a 39 year old centre solve their problems. Maybe as an insurance big but i dont see him keeping up with any centres really. BC has had interest in marion, during the draft, after it and theres been reports the raptors trying to get him. With Bargnani playing as well as he is i think a trade should go down. Doug Smith says a trade will eventually happen this is from his blog.

Yes, it gets them below the tax level but, no, it does not get them far enough below to sign a guy like Carlos Delfino, if he can finagle his way out of his contract in Russia.

Yes, it cuts the roster by one but there are now 13 players under contract, exactly the same number as the start of the season.

No, it does not mean that another deal is imminent just because Adams is gone. Another deal is going to happen – and it could come out of the blue and happen this week – but if it does, it’s because it’s been worked on for a while, not because the 14th man on a 14-man roster was given away.

It seems though that all the pieces are clicking together. Heat get a backup centre because their unsure about JO's Knee and how it will hold up. Raptors get their swingman, and immediate cap space without giving up on Bargnani.

My idea is its something on the lines of:
JO
Moon

For:

Marion
Anthony
Wright(saves miami from going to luxury tax)

Raptors Lineup:
Calderon/Roko/Solomon
Parker/Kapono
Marion/Graham/Wright
Bosh/Hump/Jawai
Bargnani/Anthony/Voskhul

We know moon has been in trade talks, this deal will immediately put us under the cap as we would be at about 66 million. And get about 26 million in (solomon, Marion, Parker, graham, Anthony). This offseason to sign a player. So does anyone else think all these pieces are coming together or has anyone heard the length JO will be out for and what has happened.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
b-rock
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Is JO's Injury a Smokescreen? 

Post#2 » by b-rock » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:08 am

I've been wondering about this too... I'm not just an avid Raps fan but this is the first year I've played fantasy Basketball and I've got JO on my team so I've paid extra attention. His status has been extremely weird to say the least! It started with a cold, ended with a knee injury and there have been absolutely no updates at all regarding his status other than the fan590 report today that he hasn't been participating in any drills at all. Something just seems off about it, especially because it's supposedly not the knee he's injured in the past.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#3 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:08 am

Yes, it's an obvious smokescreen. Every game JO doesn't play due to a faked injury enhances his trade value.

If you read these boards, you know your trade idea isn't exactly fresh. Apart from wondering why Miami would want JO, my concern is that some have observed that Marion isn't able to defend SFs anymore. Why would we give up our primary trade asset for an undersized PF?
doogie88
Junior
And1: 71

Post#4 » by doogie88 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:09 am

we need more new threads like this.
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#5 » by RapsFanInVA » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:10 am

None of us know about JO's injury situation, your guess is as good as mine. Doug Smith's blog should never be used as concrete evidence that a big deal is imminent. My money is on your proposed deal not happening.
TGM
Analyst
And1: 714

Post#6 » by TGM » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:17 am

Damn you beat me to starting this thread.

It has been unusal that JO has been completely under the radar. I was at the Orlando game and didn't see him on the bench. I mean injured guys usually still watch the games. I know he has a bruised knee, but thats one heck of a bruise.

Can anyone confirm if he has even been in Toronto lately? I'm wondering if a few teams are maybe secretly examining his knee.

I could see a thorough testing might take over a week to get back results. Maybe BC has a deal in principle and doesn't want to risk letting JO get injured. Or the team that is trading for him, has requested that he be shelved.

He is not playing tomorrow for sure.

Please be Marion coming to TO. He helps us on the rebounding and defending front. I don't know what people are talking about when they say Marion can't defend the 3. He does fine.
TorontoSF
Senior

Post#7 » by TorontoSF » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:20 am

tecumseh18 wrote:Yes, it's an obvious smokescreen. Every game JO doesn't play due to a faked injury enhances his trade value.

If you read these boards, you know your trade idea isn't exactly fresh. Apart from wondering why Miami would want JO, my concern is that some have observed that Marion isn't able to defend SFs anymore. Why would we give up our primary trade asset for an undersized PF?

? Where did you hear that Marion can't guard SFs. He is much better then what we have to say the least.
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#8 » by RapsFanInVA » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:22 am

TGM wrote:Can anyone confirm if he has even been in Toronto lately? I'm wondering if a few teams are maybe secretly examining his knee.

:lol: no, is that even legal?
alberta_rapsfan
Junior

Post#9 » by alberta_rapsfan » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:30 am

tecumseh18 wrote:Yes, it's an obvious smokescreen. Every game JO doesn't play due to a faked injury enhances his trade value.

We are not making this trade because we want Marion we want his contract :crazy: , and no one else on our team can defend SF so whats the difference.

I really hope this trade goes down, or any JO for capspace trade for that matter.
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#10 » by youngLion » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:32 am

While the Marion trade idea makes sense for both sides, I don't think there's any way they include Joel Anthony. It's a nice idea as he's Canadian, but they need that depth at C, even they get Zo and JO.

Moreover, while he could still get traded, his injury isn't a smokescreen. He's been out for weeks!
decu21
Banned User
And1: 315

Post#11 » by decu21 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:44 am

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:i havent heard anything about his "injury". I havent heard any updates and this comes to me as a surprise because usually he speaks to the media i havent seen him in any post game interviews maybe some of you have but i havent.

I remember when he was injured before he came infront of the media and showed them his knee, now i cant even see him in the arena at our home game. Does anyone else believe something is going down especially since the heat

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Miami HEAT are on the verge of bringing back quasi-retired center Alonzo Mourning. Mourning, who has been counted out more than a few times, is determined to come back one more time. This time he hopes to leave on his own terms, not terms dictated by an injury.

That strikes me as odd, how will a 39 year old centre solve their problems. Maybe as an insurance big but i dont see him keeping up with any centres really. BC has had interest in marion, during the draft, after it and theres been reports the raptors trying to get him. With Bargnani playing as well as he is i think a trade should go down. Doug Smith says a trade will eventually happen this is from his blog.

Yes, it gets them below the tax level but, no, it does not get them far enough below to sign a guy like Carlos Delfino, if he can finagle his way out of his contract in Russia.

Yes, it cuts the roster by one but there are now 13 players under contract, exactly the same number as the start of the season.

No, it does not mean that another deal is imminent just because Adams is gone. Another deal is going to happen – and it could come out of the blue and happen this week – but if it does, it’s because it’s been worked on for a while, not because the 14th man on a 14-man roster was given away.

It seems though that all the pieces are clicking together. Heat get a backup centre because their unsure about JO's Knee and how it will hold up. Raptors get their swingman, and immediate cap space without giving up on Bargnani.

My idea is its something on the lines of:
JO
Moon

For:

Marion
Anthony
Wright(saves miami from going to luxury tax)

Raptors Lineup:
Calderon/Roko/Solomon
Parker/Kapono
Marion/Graham/Wright
Bosh/Hump/Jawai
Bargnani/Anthony/Voskhul

We know moon has been in trade talks, this deal will immediately put us under the cap as we would be at about 66 million. And get about 26 million in (solomon, Marion, Parker, graham, Anthony). This offseason to sign a player. So does anyone else think all these pieces are coming together or has anyone heard the length JO will be out for and what has happened.

this deal is perfect, i always want something like this
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#12 » by dagger » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:45 am

A smokescreen?

No.

A concern? Well, the team is obligated to report on injuries, so if it was serious we'd probably have heard more. JO has become increasingly cautious with his injuries, and he basically sat out half of last season rather than push a return because the Pacers sucked. I'm not suggesting he is doing the same here, because we're playing alright. In fact, he might be taking his time precisely because things are going a bit better. He might be doing BC a favor by not rushing things, but I assume he has to make an appearance by next week or it's going to look like he's stiffing us, too.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#13 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:45 am

TorontoSF wrote:
? Where did you hear that Marion can't guard SFs. He is much better then what we have to say the least.

Looking at his stats 82games, he hasn't played much SF, and he hasn't been that impressive this year generally. See:

http://www.82games.com/0708/07MIA16C.HTM

We have to face the fact that the older players (Nash, Bell, Marion) on those Phoenix teams of a few years ago just aren't'what they used to be.

But I do agree that something seems funny here. It makes sense that a team would do serious testing before trading for JO's big contract. The Raps certainly did before the draft. I just hope that Marion isn't the target.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,554

Post#14 » by VanWest82 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:54 am

This makes a ton of sense. Both teams have clear motivation to make this deal work.

Colangelo gets one of his guys who provides a nice temporary solution to our problem at the three. Miami gets a big man to help them against Orl, Bos, and Cle coupled with the fact that O'Neal and Wade's deals both expire the following year. Cap Flexibility? They could afford to sign Wade and Bosh in 2010 :)
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#15 » by jonny three time » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:56 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
TorontoSF wrote:

Looking at his stats 82games, he hasn't played much SF, and he hasn't been that impressive this year generally. See:

http://www.82games.com/0708/07MIA16C.HTM

He hasn't played the 3 there because they have the worst bigs in the league. Which is why they might be open to trading immediate cap space for JO who's way overpaid next year. Marion might not be everything that he was but he's an expiring contract who can play the style we want to, can rebound fantastically well for a 3, and is still better defensively then the 3s we have right now.
So Clutch
Starter
And1: 178

Post#16 » by So Clutch » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:20 am

You guys are also missing one huge important factor:

Miami's got their eyes on Boozer. They have cap space from Marion's contract this offseason, and judging by the way Utah's salary situation and Millsap's performance, they very well may be looking to woo Boozer. So they come to a decision, they want J.O's shot knees for this season and the next, or Boozer for long term. Me, I'd pass on the senior citizen.
andrew2good4u
Starter
And1: 104

Post#17 » by andrew2good4u » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:22 am

Maybe JO caught something off of superhead!?!

Seriously guys can we stop calling everything a smokescreen. It's getting kinda annoying.

BC says he likes the roster the way it is ... smokescreen
JO has a cold... smokescreen
JO taps superhead's ass... smokescreen
Hassan Adams doesnt have his towel this game... smokescreen
Props to triplemke23
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#18 » by Avenger » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:33 am

andrew2good4u wrote:Maybe JO caught something off of superhead!?!

Seriously guys can we stop calling everything a smokescreen. It's getting kinda annoying.

lol that avatar is becoming legendary
TGM
Analyst
And1: 714

Post#19 » by TGM » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:33 am

RapsFanInVA wrote:
TGM wrote:Can anyone confirm if he has even been in Toronto lately? I'm wondering if a few teams are maybe secretly examining his knee.

:lol: no, is that even legal?

I think you misunderstood my comment. I should have been more clear. When I say secretly, I mean BC has agreed that teams can examine him, because a trade is in place, and they are keeping it on the downlow.
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#20 » by totallyr » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:34 am

andrew2good4u wrote:Maybe JO caught something off of superhead!?!

Well put :D
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon

Return to Toronto Raptors