Talks of Miller to Portland?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: Talks of Miller to portland? 

Post#61 » by bebopdeluxe » Tue Feb 3, 2009 5:52 pm

Agreed, Sixer Fixer.

Blake/Sergio/Frye for Miller could work for me.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#62 » by tk76 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 6:01 pm

I agree with you guys that Bayless will not be available. Also, although Segio has issues (shooting), he at least fits well in this teams open court style and has upside. Blake is ill suited to run the break and lacks any upside. He can shoot and thats about it.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#63 » by Skates » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:00 pm

tk76 wrote:I agree with you guys that Bayless will not be available. Also, although Segio has issues (shooting), he at least fits well in this teams open court style and has upside. Blake is ill suited to run the break and lacks any upside. He can shoot and thats about it.

I am not sold on Sergio at all. They have tried to get him to earn miutes in Portland and he has never really done so. He reminds me of a poor man's Sebastian Telfair, he can pass and that is about it, I just don't see the upside of a guy who can't beat out Blake, a rookie in bayless, etc. I would much prefer Blake, Outlaw and Frye or Diogu. Outlaw is not a pure shooter, but he is a good athlete who can shoot from distance, something this team needs and something Stefanski prefers over less athletic shooters like Korver. Outlaw > Green, Blake < Miller, talent wise it is more of a wash, and maybe a better fit. Plus there was talk of Outlaw going to Memphis for Conley, although it never went anywhere maybe there is a future deal/three team trade in there somewhere.
geiger
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#64 » by geiger » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:01 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge as to how Koponen is playing in Europe and what his current contract situation is?

I really am not a fan of Sergio Rodriguez. Yes, Miller is not a good defender, but Rodriguez is attrocious. He gives you next to nothing on defense and can't shoot a lick on offense. He's a creative passer, but that too gets greatly diminished if he has to play more than 15 minutes a game because of his other short comings. If they think Williams can be a full time PG, and they want to have as much cap space as possible get LaFrentz and Sergio, that would be fine. But if they want players, I'd rather have Blake and Outlaw or Webster on one year rentals. Blake at least is a serviceable NBA player who can provide something we need - shooting. We are also a poor half court team because we don't have a half court PG. It's not realistic to be a fast break team non stop. That's not how the game is played. It would be good to have a PG who doesn't need the ball, doesn't make mistakes, can shoot, and can play in the half court and the pick and roll. Ideally, he's a good back up PG on a one year contract and Lou establishes himself as the starter next season. With Blake and a healthy Webster, we'd have enough shooting and still retain some flexiblity under the cap long term. We wouldn't be entering the off season totally desperate to keep Miller or be forced into signing a guy like Marbury or someone like Tinsley to get us through the season. That would be total disaster.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#65 » by tk76 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:17 pm

[quote="geiger"]Does anyone have any knowledge as to how Koponen is playing in Europe and what his current contract situation is?

Not exactly tearing it up...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pet ... 273/stats/
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#66 » by ITK9 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:41 pm

If Baylles or at least Webster is in the deal I might be interested but we can't trade Miller for Fryes and Serio Rodrigues.He is too good imo to be traded for those guys.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:41 pm

The deal being talked about is Miller, Rush and Evans for Sergio, Outlaw, LaFrentz and maybe a conditional pick.....he wasnt sure about the pick

That's all I know...but its very much in play at this point from what I am told.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#68 » by bebopdeluxe » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:50 pm

sixerfan:

I do that deal NOW.

We 1) move Evans' contract; 2) get a developmental PG; 3) add an athletic swing guy in Outlaw; and 4) get Raef's contract...

Now that DEFINITELY sounds too good to be true.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#69 » by The Sixer Fixer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:51 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:The deal being talked about is Miller, Rush and Evans for Sergio, Outlaw, LaFrentz and maybe a conditional pick.....he wasnt sure about the pick

That's all I know...but its very much in play at this point from what I am told.

I'd do that deal. Dump Reggie's deal and get 2 guys with some upside along with an expiring. Can't ask for much more than that. I might prefer Webster over Outlaw, but it's close and Webster needs to get healthy first.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#70 » by Philly_King » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:52 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:The deal being talked about is Miller, Rush and Evans for Sergio, Outlaw, LaFrentz and maybe a conditional pick.....he wasnt sure about the pick

That would be an OK I guess. Outlaw is only 24 and is an above average 3pt shooter. Sergio- meh. We'd be saving 5m in 2010 if we don't re-sign Outlaw. Overall the trade is decent if there's no chance of Miller re-signing here. I'd still prefer to get Webster though since he's younger and can play the 2.
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#71 » by underpressure » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:52 pm

I would do this deal in a hurry if your rumour is true. Obviously, we would be getting worse, but we get at least some decent value back. Sergio, I think, would blossom on our team and Outlaw is a very servicable forward.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#72 » by Skates » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:55 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:The deal being talked about is Miller, Rush and Evans for Sergio, Outlaw, LaFrentz and a conditional pick.

Hmm, that would not save us any money for next year since Sergio + Outlaw make slightly more combined than Evans would. The addition of the protected pick might make a second deal for another PG more likely now or this summer (Conley? Sessions?, George Hill? Felton?). Unless there was a second deal I would be very wary of handing the team over to a PG trio of Sergio, Lou and Royal for the rest of the year. I know Sergio is one of those guys people hope will blossom with playing time like an Eric Snow type, but I am not sure I see it.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:56 pm

we'll see.....could go down to trade deadline to do something....i have always liked sergio...we have enough depth at forward to be fine without evans.....I dont think Miller wants to come back...thats a combo of my personal opinion plus what I was told.

Ed knows the team is solid but not great and one round or two in playoffs. Getting Raef's deal and also getting Evans off books makes the contract situation better....I would be fine with Outlaw or Webster..I like Outlaw more but Webster is the bigger need position.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#74 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:57 pm

That's an interesting trade. Our salary for next season stays the same which is a good thing. I don't know who would start for us but it would probably be an even split of playing time between Lou and Sergio. Outlaw should be a nice addition. He's a tweener but he's athletic and at least gives us another option at SF. And he's shooting the three very well this season so that will definitely help us. A lineup of Lou/Iggy/Young/Outlaw/Speights would be very exciting to watch.
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#75 » by Gsraider » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:57 pm

I did a double take when I saw Sixerfan's name come up because it has sure been awhile. Sorry, but this deal does not do a ton for me. If Sergio could shoot at all and Philly wasn't already two deep at SF, I would be more intrigued. I would just hope that if it was a deal that could be made, it would be part one of a two part process. The second being, trading away LaFrentz's contract for some more help.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:04 pm

yeah its been awhile....I been out of the loop for awhile...try to stick around some now as we approach deadline.

It will come down too..can someone give us a deal that keeps us competitive now only rest of year..but also puts us in good shape next year too as far as Miller is concerned. I think this deal does that pretty well.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#77 » by Philly_King » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:06 pm

Another thing- Is there any chance we could then trade or expand the original trade to a 3-way with us sending Raefs expiring + filler/pick for a longer contract, say someone like Mike Miller or Barbosa, Terry, Hinrich etc?
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#78 » by underpressure » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:07 pm

sixerfan, do you know whether Sammy is still being shopped? His recent good play may attract some teams (which I still doubt though). Or did we remove him from the trading block?
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#79 » by Spykes » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:10 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:Now that DEFINITELY sounds too good to be true.

Indeed it does. So much so that I'd be surprised if the Blazers make that deal in it's current form. Evans and his contract is gonna be a sticking point for Portland. Particularly so with how much cap space the Blazers are giving up and the fact that Miller is on an expiring contract with high potential to walk for nothing. It also hurts the Sixers bargaining position with the fact that the Blazers have enough cap space (yes, even with Miles) to sign Miller outright this summer.

I hope Portland holds out a little longer rather than take that deal.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:10 pm

no one is untradeable....but still not alot of interest in Dalembert's contract.

Havent heard anything about a trade for a Mike Miller or anything like that. Only thing I was told about that sounded somewhat active was Portland. If I get more between now and trade deadline I will share.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers