Image ImageImage Image

Luol Deng ready to defy trainer by fulfilling national duty

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,205

Post#1 » by fleet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 am

From The TimesMarch 16, 2009

Ian Whittell

Luol Deng will fly in the face of advice from his personal coach and, most likely, his club, the Chicago Bulls, to play for Great Britain in the European Championship finals this summer.

The 6ft 9in forward is at present sidelined with a stress fracture of his right leg that may require minor surgery, the latest in a series of niggling injuries that have plagued Deng since his international debut.

The 23-year-old missed only four games out of 164 in the two seasons before his first game for the Britain team in the summer of 2007. But fitness problems forced him to sit out 19 games last season and 18 in this, with Deng widely expected not to play again for the Bulls this campaign, less than one year after he signed a six- season, $72million (about £51million) contract extension with the club.

As is common in the NBA, Deng works with a personal coach during the summer, in his case David Thorpe, the respected media pundit. Thorpe echoed the Bulls' concerns about Deng playing in internationals and advised him to take a summer off to recuperate fully.

However, the suggestion was rejected by Deng, who is adamant that he will be in Chris Finch's squad when they play their EuroBasket group games against Spain, Serbia and Slovenia in Poland in September.

“I recommended to him that he take the whole summer off and not even train with me,” Thorpe said. “But Luol told me that was not acceptable.
There is no way he is not going to help GB in some capacity. He will maybe not play as many friendlies. He will maybe adjust his schedule after consulting with Coach Finch and coming up with a plan that makes sense for everybody.

“Luol feels a sense of duty as far as GB is concerned but he also loves playing for the team and in the style that Coach Finch plays. That's what's driving Lu on and as soon as he is healthy, we will sit down with doctors from the Bulls and from GB to come up with a plan.”

Deng's concession of playing fewer warm-up games could potentially disappoint GB fans who had hoped to see him play in a tournament planned for London in August.

And GB will still have to negotiate the Bulls' understandable dissatisfaction that their highly-priced asset is about to spend two
months of the close season on internatonal service.

However, as long as the British federation covers the insurance for the $62 million remaining on Deng's contract, the Bulls will be
powerless to prevent Deng from playing for his country.

:( :roll:
so whats Dengs priority again?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Re: Luol Deng ready to defy trainer by fulfilling national duty 

Post#2 » by sonny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:52 am

And boom goes the dynamite.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#3 » by SportsWorld » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:53 am

:roll:
cocktailswith_2short
Head Coach
And1: 78

Post#4 » by cocktailswith_2short » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:53 am

Ha. Maybe a trade can be worked out. Let his physical limitations be someone elses problem .
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#5 » by sonny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:55 am

Travis Outlaw is from Mississippi.
NoSkyy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#6 » by NoSkyy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:58 am

Fail. Just..epic fail.

Honestly, I probably would have done the same though.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#7 » by The Explorer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:00 am

“Luol feels a sense of duty as far as GB is concerned but he also loves playing for the team and in the style that Coach Finch plays. That's what's driving Lu on and as soon as he is healthy, we will sit down with doctors from the Bulls and from GB to come up with a plan.”

Sense of duty, wow. I can understand wanting to play for your country, but your duty is to do what your employer who gave you 71 million asks you to do.

I agree with coldfish's suggestion that he might have attitude issues. I guess the good thing is that he will pi$s off Paxdorf enough so that they ship his ass out.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#8 » by SportsWorld » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 am

NoSkyy wrote:Fail. Just..epic fail.

Honestly, I probably would have done the same though.

Screwed over the guys that just gave you 71 million dollars? Doubt it.
Mapelgleaf
Assistant Coach
And1: 280

Post#9 » by Mapelgleaf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:02 am

F to the No.

I like Luol, I really do, but this is pure $#!&.

So if he opts for surgery now can he still play for GB?? I take it no...?

Really pissing in the face of the franchise that took care of his financial security for life. It'd be one thing if he had a good year and this happened - I can almost understand that- but he didn't. I don't understand why he wouldn't have pride as a professional and try his best for the Bulls and really make up for this lackluster year......
Websites • SEO • Graphic Design
http://www.AstuteWebGroup.com
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#10 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:04 am

I hate defending Deng so much on the board and because I personally hope he doesn't play, but I can't fault someone who wants to play for their country. I would NEVER ask someone to be more loyal to their employer than to their country, no matter the job or pay and why everyone thinks Deng has too be more loyal to Chicago than England here is beyond me. No one here can probably relate to Deng's childhood (being forced to flee Sudan and being given asylum in GB) and I think as the face of Great Britain basketball, Deng feels he has to play for them whenever he can and whether he is healthy or not. He is trying to do more than just collect a paycheck with the Bulls and wants to spread basketball throughout England.

I mean sure Deng is hurt and this REALLY won't help him with anyone on the team or front office, but I think Luol's desires are bigger than just being a Chicago Bull.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#11 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:05 am

charity stripe wrote:

Sense of duty, wow. I can understand wanting to play for your country, but your duty is to do what your employer who gave you 71 million asks you to do.

I agree with coldfish's suggestion that he might have attitude issues. I guess the good thing is that he will pi$s off Paxdorf enough so that they ship his ass out.

So just to make sure, you consider yourself more part of a company than more American (or whatever country you hail from)?
bdiddy04
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#12 » by bdiddy04 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:09 am

There's only one way to feel about this.
Luol Deng's contract is a cancer eating at the Bulls.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,205

Post#13 » by fleet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:18 am

DanTown8587 wrote:I hate defending Deng so much on the board and because I personally hope he doesn't play, but I can't fault someone who wants to play for their country. I would NEVER ask someone to be more loyal to their employer than to their country, no matter the job or pay and why everyone thinks Deng has too be more loyal to Chicago than England here is beyond me.

must be the monaaayyyyyy!

No one here can probably relate to Deng's childhood (being forced to flee Sudan and being given asylum in GB) and I think as the face of Great Britain basketball, Deng feels he has to play for them whenever he can and whether he is healthy or not. He is trying to do more than just collect a paycheck with the Bulls and wants to spread basketball throughout England.

I mean sure Deng is hurt and this REALLY won't help him with anyone on the team or front office, but I think Luol's desires are bigger than just being a Chicago Bull.

whats playing on a bulging herniated disk and a stress fracture in consecutive summers between friends?

that being the case, would have been fair for Luol to let the Bulls know they were second fiddle during contract negotiations. That being the case. Every time he cashes his check he pretty much defrauds them when he puts his deliberately puts his health at risk in the summer playing on injury. That being the case.

anyrate, for those who pointed out there was no evidence Deng has Great Britain as his priority can now rest assured
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
chicagobull
Senior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by chicagobull » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:22 am

Dan you make a good point, but he's just playing basketball. It's not like he's joining the British army or anything. It'd be like a dude slips and falls while working at McDonalds, and while getting disability pay from McDonalds the dude goes over and works at Burger King for free because he likes their food more.

I loved Deng in 06-07, supported him while he had a terrible last season, but now I'm fed up and want him out. Salmons > Deng.
PippenAintEasy
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#15 » by PippenAintEasy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:23 am

DanTown8587 wrote:I hate defending Deng so much on the board and because I personally hope he doesn't play, but I can't fault someone who wants to play for their country. I would NEVER ask someone to be more loyal to their employer than to their country, no matter the job or pay and why everyone thinks Deng has too be more loyal to Chicago than England here is beyond me. No one here can probably relate to Deng's childhood (being forced to flee Sudan and being given asylum in GB) and I think as the face of Great Britain basketball, Deng feels he has to play for them whenever he can and whether he is healthy or not. He is trying to do more than just collect a paycheck with the Bulls and wants to spread basketball throughout England.

Eh, leave it at the door. Especially after you sign a 71 million dollar contract.
From the "Story behind certain jersey numbers" thread...
C'mon Cavs wrote:Larry Hughes wears #32 because he sucks.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#16 » by Rerisen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:26 am

Deng willing to defy trainer to play for the Bulls?! Oh wait... More like Deng wants to shut it down for the Bulls to be perfectly ready to give his all for Queen and country.

Well at least this won't be a boring offseason.
clancy
Senior
And1: 1

Post#17 » by clancy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:29 am

charity stripe wrote:

I kind of found that part the most interesting. He sure hasn't looked like he enjoys playing for the Bulls, or the style that Coach Del Negro plays this year.... Duty makes it sound almost like he's uncomfortable playing but feels an obligation that trumps that. But the second part sounds more like he's just not willing to give up something he loves even at a personal health risk. I'd say it sounds more like the Bulls are the duty part to him.

I'm really not one to think he should play through injury - I mean, stress fractures are injuries of overuse and there's really no cure outside of rest - but I can't help wondering how willingly he'd play through pain for GB....
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,792

Post#18 » by t-time » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:32 am

How is he english again? Lived in London a few years and supported Arsenal?

Ship his overpaid ass out of Chicago.
JOHN
General Manager
And1: 90

Post#19 » by JOHN » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:32 am

I can understand the thing about national pride.But here Deng is pissing in front of the Cows faces.And rightfully so.He put a deadline on them about signing a deal.The Cows front office budged.They love Luol for his charity his smile and his soft talk.

This is all on Reinsdorf.You wonder why most of the people hate Deng?

Ship his ass out of Chicago like there's no tomorrow PAxdorf!
Remember remember the 1st of April.......
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#20 » by bullzman23 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:35 am

“Luol feels a sense of duty as far as GB is concerned

That's great and all, but it'd be nice if we got the sense that Loul felt a sense of duty for the Bulls.

I don't blame him for saying he'll play for Britain. If I was in his position, I'd act the same way with that regard. Still, you don't see an ounce of fire in him when it comes to the NBA or the Chicago Bulls. It's pretty disheartening that he comes off as so disinterested in taking his game to the next level and helping this team win too. You can only give a guy the benefit of the doubt so many times...
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com

Return to Chicago Bulls