ImageImageImage

Barnes new contract? whats the deal with Nash?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

diggity_88
Junior
And1: 0

Barnes new contract? whats the deal with Nash? 

Post#1 » by diggity_88 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Hey i'm curious on what you guys are looking to resign barnes to on his new contract, and what is his contract right now. Or if you even look to resign him at all. Also what's the deal with Nash? I heard rumors that you guys were going to buy out his contract? or something that had to do with paying him less next year or something (if someone could explain this to me itd be greatly appreciated)

Also, Jason Richardson. Are you looking to trade him off to get rid of his contract? or do you feel he has a place on this team? Whats the news on him?

If you guys could help me out here and clear this up, thanks.
Austin
Senior

Re: Barnes new contract? whats the deal with Nash? 

Post#2 » by Austin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Barnes is terrible and I would let him walk if I were the Suns head office, but they'll probably offer him another 1 year deal for the minimum just like this past season.

I would say keep Nash as long as you trade shaq for someone who can defend the pick and roll and help trap PG's better, I.E. Tyson Chandler deal that will most likely never happen.

I would try to trade J-Rich for someone like Marcus Camby, or a couple bench players and move Barbosa to starting shooting guard. That's what I would do.
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#3 » by MaryvalesFinest » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:01 pm

I love Matt Barnes (in a non-homosexual way), he has become my favorite Suns player. He's the Suns best defender and gives 110% effort everygame, he strikes fear into the other teams opponents and has been the Suns enforcer you can say.

It would be nice if the Suns could bring him back but I have a feeling he's going to get a better contract somewhere else because of Sarver's cheapness, maybe the Suns could offer a 5 year 3M per year deal but the highest I would offer is the midlevel, a 5 year 25M deal.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#4 » by Sun Scorched » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Barnes will get more than the Min. from another team. We will have Hill back and Dudley at the least. We will look to throw the full MLE at a hard-nosed defender and I don't think we would break that amount up to reach for Barnes.

I'm hoping that Nash negotiates a new 3-4 year contract at a reduced salary. Really and truly, more players should pull that card more often a la Tim Duncan. Nash respects the Spurs FO... he might take a page out of that book. In that scenario, the Suns simply wouldn't pick up his team option this next year.

I do think that Barbosa should be starting, but that is a very weak defensive back-court.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
Austin
Senior

Post#5 » by Austin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 pm

MaryvalesFinest wrote:I love Matt Barnes (in a non-homosexual way), he has become my favorite Suns player. He's the Suns best defender and gives 110% effort everygame, he strikes fear into the other teams opponents and has been the Suns enforcer you can say.

It would be nice if the Suns could bring him back but I have a feeling he's going to get a better contract somewhere else because of Sarver's cheapness, maybe the Suns could offer a 5 year 3M per year deal but the highest I would offer is the midlevel, a 5 year 25M deal.

****... if only there were thumbs down here. haha! there is no way Matt Barnes is the best defender. His inconsistant everything has plagued this team this season... if he comes back, I hope he plays no more than 10 minutes a game...

No insults or name calling

cheers
TASTIC
toucansma
Pro Prospect
And1: 153

Post#6 » by toucansma » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 pm

MaryvalesFinest wrote:I love Matt Barnes (in a non-homosexual way), he has become my favorite Suns player. He's the Suns best defender and gives 110% effort everygame, he strikes fear into the other teams opponents and has been the Suns enforcer you can say.

Haha what?? Grant Hill was the Suns best defender by far. Barnes might strike fear into opponents cause he is crazy, but not because of his play. He also doesn't have the greatest bball smarts as scene with many missed plays and assignments. 5 for 25 is wayyyyyyy too much
tigerblood
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#7 » by tigerblood » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Sun Scorched wrote:Barnes will get more than the Min. from another team. We will have Hill back and Dudley at the least. We will look to throw the full MLE at a hard-nosed defender and I don't think we would break that amount up to reach for Barnes.

I'm hoping that Nash negotiates a new 3-4 year contract at a reduced salary. Really and truly, more players should pull that card more often a la Tim Duncan. Nash respects the Spurs FO... he might take a page out of that book. In that scenario, the Suns simply wouldn't pick up his team option this next year.

I do think that Barbosa should be starting, but that is a very weak defensive back-court.

Kerr already said we won't be spending much money in free agency, therefore, I don't think the Ariza wish comes true. Would be nice though.
eastsidecrossover
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#8 » by eastsidecrossover » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:42 pm

And Mary gave us another reason to scratch our heads about his bone headed comments. Give Barnes the full MLE??? Are you freakn kidding me?? Hes a nice role player and I liked what he brought to this team on some nights, but Sarver would be dumb to spend anything over 1m for him. That is not cheapness, that would be moronic to give him that kind of cash.

Barnes will not get resigned. Talk about Nash is that he will sign a contract extension and I think the suns will try to cut down on salary. You know, next year they have the most money committed to players then any other team?? That is not cheap.

J-rich. I think they would like to unload him but they most likely will not find a trade partner. I think he will remain a sun. I would like to see them unload Shaq, but it will be hard this off-season I think.
diggity_88
Junior

Post#9 » by diggity_88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:17 am

Can someone please explain in detail the Nash situation, and how its possible that they will do this?

Also, if they redo Nash's contract how much do you think you will put up a year? 3-5 mil? or what?
TXSun
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by TXSun » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:54 am

Austin wrote:Barnes is terrible and I would let him walk if I were the Suns head office, but they'll probably offer him another 1 year deal for the minimum just like this past season.

I would say keep Nash as long as you trade shaq for someone who can defend the pick and roll and help trap PG's better, I.E. Tyson Chandler deal that will most likely never happen.

I would try to trade J-Rich for someone like Marcus Camby, or a couple bench players and move Barbosa to starting shooting guard. That's what I would do.

don't throw Barnes to the dogs just like that man. The guy had career numbers for us this year. Even if we wanted to sign Barnes, he's going to walk right into a nice muti-year deal & probably into a contender. Good for him.
"This is some bull $hit"
Austin
Senior

Post#11 » by Austin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:37 pm

when will people realize it's not about the numbers... he has terrible hands and makes horrible decisions... takes way too many 3's and while you're looking at numbers, check his TO's... highest ever. Remember the Utah game Barnes blew? Passed the ball back to grant hill when hill was still out of bounds??? Smart barnes! smart!!!
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Sun Scorched » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:03 pm

diggity_88 wrote:Can someone please explain in detail the Nash situation, and how its possible that they will do this?

Also, if they redo Nash's contract how much do you think you will put up a year? 3-5 mil? or what?

Steve would make $13,125,000 next year which is also a team option. If the Suns did not pick up the option on Nash's contract, technically they could use the Bird Exception to resign him for up to 6 years all the way up to a max contract.

Say they signed Nash to a 4 year deal with a player option on the 4th year. I think Nash would be up for a flat or declining salary scale, something like $8,000,000 in year one, all the way down to $6,500,000 in his final option year. That would save the Suns around $10,000,000 after the luxury tax next season.

You could use the Mid Level Exception (MLE) to acquire an Ariza / Artest type. We used our Bi-Annual Exception to sign Grant two years ago. You only get your Bi-Annual (guess what?) every two years. Use it to sign Grant again.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Sun Scorched » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:11 pm

As a note to the above, Grant could also be signed with the "Early" Bird Exception since he has been with the team for 2 straight years.

This way we could preserve the Bi-Annual for someone else.
On Steve Nash:
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#14 » by Calvin Klein » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 pm

let barnes go. Hill and especially, Dudley need to stay. Trade Richardson and start Barbosa. And don't let Nash go.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,909

Post#15 » by Fo-Real » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:30 pm

Barnes is not our best defender. He is behind both Amundsun and Dudley, in fact i think you could let him walk and next year Dudley can more than fill his role on the team as the first SF off the bench. He had a slow start after the trade but late he seemed to get it. He changed his game to fit exactly what the team needed him to do (not what he considered his agenda to be) he was a wing shooter, rebounder, and dogged defender to frustrate people like Raja did when he was on his game. Let Barnes walk and add someone else because Dudley can be him and then some
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Sun Scorched » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Barnes is not our best defender. He is behind both Amundsun and Dudley, in fact i think you could let him walk and next year Dudley can more than fill his role on the team as the first SF off the bench. He had a slow start after the trade but late he seemed to get it. He changed his game to fit exactly what the team needed him to do (not what he considered his agenda to be) he was a wing shooter, rebounder, and dogged defender to frustrate people like Raja did when he was on his game. Let Barnes walk and add someone else because Dudley can be him and then some

Fantastic post. Completely agree.

That's also why I have reservations about trades that bring back legit rotational SFs, or SF FAs that come our way. I think Dudley can get some solid minutes in for us.
On Steve Nash:
Austin
Senior

Post#17 » by Austin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:18 pm

I loved how towards the end of the Season Gentry kept Dudley in the game in the end of the 4th instead of Barnes... great job Alvin!!!
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#18 » by JohnVancouver » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:35 pm

[quote="Sun Scorched"][quote="Fo-Real"]Barnes is not our best defender. He is behind both Amundsun and Dudley, in fact i think you could let him walk and next year Dudley can more than fill his role on the team as the first SF off the bench.

---+1
Duds ought to start and if he works on his offense this summer he could be a candidate for MIP.
I really like this guy.

And I haven't given up hope on Ariza ... I can see Kerr going to Sarver and making a case to spend the MLE on him.
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#19 » by rsavaj » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm

JohnVancouver wrote:
Sun Scorched wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:Barnes is not our best defender. He is behind both Amundsun and Dudley, in fact i think you could let him walk and next year Dudley can more than fill his role on the team as the first SF off the bench.

---+1
Duds ought to start and if he works on his offense this summer he could be a candidate for MIP.
I really like this guy.

And I haven't given up hope on Ariza ... I can see Kerr going to Sarver and making a case to spend the MLE on him.

LA can offer him the MLE too, so I'm thinking he'd probably just stay there. Really though, w/ the tax, the MLE becomes basically 10 million a year.
tigerblood
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#20 » by tigerblood » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:32 pm

If we went after ariza, hill and barnes won't be back making it pretty much cost neutral. I'm all for it.

Return to Phoenix Suns