Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Challenge: With/Without thread 

Post#1 » by tk76 » Tue May 5, 2009 2:12 am

Inspired by a post at depressedfan.com

Derek Bodner has this great widget that lets you compare how the Sixers do under certain circumstances. For example, you can see how the team does when Lou takes less than 8 shots (14W and 8L), or any other permutation you can think of:

http://nba.phillyarena.com/teamstats/ ... you can save your query as a link.

Challenge: Find the most interesting stat that makes the difference between the Sixers being a winner and a loser. Ideally a stat that hints to what the team should do more or less of in the future.

I will start:

http://nba.phillyarena.com/teamstats/savedquery/305/

When Speights scores 8 or more points: 27W 16L
When Speights scores less than 8 points: 16W 29L

Think maybe Speights should play more?

Another basic one: Score 100 or more pts: 27W 7L

...What defining statistic can you come up with?
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Re: Challenge: With/Without thread 

Post#2 » by ITK9 » Tue May 5, 2009 11:09 am

we are 7-2 when Royal Ivey hits at least 2-3 pointers. :D
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by tk76 » Tue May 5, 2009 1:16 pm

http://nba.phillyarena.com/teamstats/savedquery/100/

Speights plays at least 20 minutes: 17W and 7L
Speights plays less than 20 minutes: 26W and 38L
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by tk76 » Tue May 5, 2009 1:33 pm

http://nba.phillyarena.com/teamstats/savedquery/202/

When Thad scores 23 the team is 9W and 2L. Also, in those games the team scores 12 more pts then otherwise (107 vs 95 pts.) So his big scoring nights are not at the expense of others.

I doubt Thad can average 23 pts next year, but when he is on, and the team goes to him it really is a winning formula. In a broader sense, just adding a efficient scorer to take the burden off the Andre's helps immensely.

By contrast, when Miller scores 23+ the team was 8W and 10L and only scored 4 more pts.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue May 5, 2009 2:55 pm

Can I get precise instructions on how to work it I'm lost.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by tk76 » Tue May 5, 2009 3:30 pm

Just use the pull downs to see how the team does in different situations.

the first select the individual player (or entire team.) Then use the other pull downs to pick what stat you want (such as points, FGA, minutes, reb etc.) Then pick a symbol for more, less or equal and the the number.

So you can pull down "Thad", "scores", ">=", "23"
press 'get results'... and it will give you stats for how the team does when Thad scores 23 or more points compared to when Thad scores less than 23.

You can save these stats by hitting "save query."
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#7 » by dilbert719 » Tue May 5, 2009 3:42 pm

Interesting. I just ran one random one, and it came up with something that's almost identical to Speights scoring 8 or more.

When Speights scores 8 or more points: 27W 16L
When Speights scores less than 8 points: 16W 29L

http://nba.phillyarena.com/teamstats/savedquery/443/

When Iguodala turns the ball over 0-2 times: 26-15
When Iguodala turns the ball over 3+ times: 17-30
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by tk76 » Tue May 5, 2009 3:49 pm

Both point to the same thing...

When the Andres have to carry too much of the load the team struggles. When someone (Speights, Thad, Brand) steps up and scores the whole offense runs like it should- and the team win.

So to sum up:
Thad 23+ pts: 9-2
Brand 22+ pts: 5-0
Speights 8+ pts: 27-16

Says a lot about what they need to work on next year.
76ersfan18
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#9 » by 76ersfan18 » Tue May 5, 2009 4:20 pm

When Andre Miller attempts 10 or less shots: 18W 7L
When Andre Miller has 5+ assists: 37W 29L

Basically, when Andre Miller decided to play like a point guard we were a winning team.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#10 » by dbodner » Tue May 5, 2009 4:39 pm

So to sum up:

It also stands to reason that when Speights got enough PT to get 8+ points was in games we were significantly ahead, so it doesn't necessarily point to speights being the cause for those wins.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#11 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue May 5, 2009 4:46 pm

76ersfan18 wrote:When Andre Miller attempts 10 or less shots: 18W 7L

Basically, when Andre Miller decided to play like a point guard we were a winning team.

Exactly why saying bye-bye to Miller will be a + not a -

Addition by subtraction.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#12 » by doctor him » Tue May 5, 2009 5:44 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:
76ersfan18 wrote:When Andre Miller attempts 10 or less shots: 18W 7L

Exactly why saying bye-bye to Miller will be a + not a -

Addition by subtraction.

I don't go that far, but Miller's loss won't be nearly as much of an effect as perceived.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by tk76 » Tue May 5, 2009 6:46 pm

I think Miller was really needed this year because many games they needed someone who can create their own shot. At times the team had no one on the floor who can score- which makes it impossible to be a pass 1st PG. They rarely had a post presence or good shooters on the floor. Hopefully, next year will be a different story.

What some of these numbers suggest is that the team will be much better when they get more scoring from other efficient scorers (Brand, Thad, Speights and maybe a FA.) If they have post scorers and shooters to pass to, Miller's skillset will be less needed. And they can replace him with an upgraded shooter and defender and make up for the lost offense with other players.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#14 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue May 5, 2009 7:44 pm

TK76: We had that scoring THIS YEAR.

A PG's job is to put them in position to suceed, which Miller failed to do. Plus Iggy not showing up.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#15 » by The Sixer Fixer » Tue May 5, 2009 10:42 pm

dbodner wrote:
So to sum up:

It also stands to reason that when Speights got enough PT to get 8+ points was in games we were significantly ahead, so it doesn't necessarily point to speights being the cause for those wins.

That was pretty much my opinion on that too. I don't think you can draw conclusions when you use bench guys who's minutes fluxuate from game to game. With Speights, it can be like you said...the Sixers were ahead so he played more minutes and thus scored more points or it can be that when he came in (regardless of the score) when he played well they left him in and when he came in and didn't play well, they sat him down and he didn't get the minutes/pts. If he came in and didn't produce it hurt the team and when he did produce it helped and we won more.

I think these types of analysis are best when used for guys who play the same amount of minutes regardless of how they perform night to night.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#16 » by The Sixer Fixer » Tue May 5, 2009 11:03 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:TK76: We had that scoring THIS YEAR.

A PG's job is to put them in position to suceed, which Miller failed to do. Plus Iggy not showing up.

Dedicated - I respect your opinion and all, but I think you are dead wrong with your Miller analysis (I have read it in a bunch of threads). You seem to crucify Miller for being more of a scorer here. Miller HAS to be a scorer on this team. We DO NOT have this excess of good scorers on this team. Iguodala is OK, but when he tries to do too much by himself he becomes a turnover machine..he's not a #1 option that's for sure. Lou is trash. Thaddeus is still a better scorer off broken plays than he is at scoring in the half court. Brand missed most of the year so that was a lot of scoring we lost. Sam can't score to save his life and the less shots Willie takes the better. Look at the good teams around the league and tell me how many have less good scoring options than us.

You can't sit and analyze Miller's assist total and determine that he's not doing his job as a PG. Most PG's get assists off catch and shoot type plays or passes into the post. We have virtually no one who is a catch and shoot player. Willie some, Iguodala a little and Thad a little. As for post up players, we have none without Brand. Miller is really the only guy on this team who does that. You can't fault the PG for not getting assists when we have no shooters or post up guys on this team. Miller knows that too which is why he's FORCED to become a scorer in this offense. He has to be the guy who can take advantage of his matchup in the post...he has to be the primary guy (along with Iguodala) to put the ball on the court and try to create something for himself.

This team has extreemly poor ball movement because you need shooters to do that...you need guys to space the floor and force the D to rotate when you penetrate and kick the ball out. We don't even have a guy who tries to run around screens to get an open shot. Maybe Willie does that some, but he's average at best and plays limited minutes. This team needs shooters and they need to put more guys in motion in order to get open shots, until then, no PG is going to average a lot of assists in this offense. To be honest, I'm actually amazed Miller has averaged close to 7 APG since he's been Sixer. I would have expected that totat to much lower.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by tk76 » Wed May 6, 2009 1:27 am

Good breakdown Fixer.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers