ImageImageImage

Poll: Realistic scenario where the Sixers contend in 3 yrs?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Is there a realistic scenario where the Sixers contend in 3 yrs?

Yes, building around current young core + Brand
17%
Yes, but only with bold trades/picks/hire?
28%
If they are lucky (eg Thad a superstar)
22%
There is no way. Best case good team but not a contender
33%

Total votes: 18

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Poll: Realistic scenario where the Sixers contend in 3 yrs? 

Post#1 » by tk76 » Thu May 7, 2009 7:40 pm

Ed and the Sixers played their hand last year by re-signing Lou and Iguodala and acquiring Brand. The continued building with youth, but set the goal to contend during Brand's tenure under the 'Philly-max.'

This summer they have more big decisions regarding PG, coach and whether to break up the young core in exchange for more established pieces (like a SG with a pure stroke.) They also have the Sam distraction to mitigate.

Assuming the pieces are all supposed to come together in another 2-3 years, I'm having a tough time imagining how they get from point A -> contending. I can see some ways to become a good team and maybe get out of the 1st round- but I'm unsure how they can really get to contender level. What do you think?

2-3 years is a short window, and Young, Iguodala, Speights, Lou, Smith and their #1 will all be in their prime in 4-6 years. So it is risky to start dealing away young for old if you are not going to be a contender anyway... but by signing Brand DiLeo lost any chance he might have to buold slowly. He has to win in the next 2-3 years or he will be gone.
rswknight
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Poll: Realistic scenario where the Sixers contend in 3 yrs? 

Post#2 » by rswknight » Thu May 7, 2009 8:19 pm

I think they can make it three years if they attack this going forward in the right way. IMO, Iggy, Thad and Brand are the core with M16 potentially making this into a Big 4. IMO, to become a contender within the next 3 years, Ed and the new coach need to focus on making this team into an Elite defensive unit with shooters surrounding the developing core. Every piece that does not complement that core needs to be moved for pieces that do. Dala, Thad and Brand all play from inside-out, so every other piece needs to function in the opposite way. If this team is flat-out nasty on defense, then that will trigger more open-court opportunities for the team. The half-court offensive philosophy would be geared around exploiting the mismatch on the floor and allowing the offense to flow from there. The shooters will keep the opposition more honest on defense.

This summer, they can take the steps necessary by using Miller to acquire a shooter and bringing a taskmaster for a coach(Either Doug Collins or Eddie Jordan(with a Def. Guru as his chief LT). I'd prefer Collins right now as a guy whose attention to detail and defensive approach will be an asset to the team moving forward.

Eventually, the albatross contracts of Sam, Green and Evans will be expiring deals, so that is a time frame that those assets can be used to deepen the bench and improve the team. Plus, when you get close to contending status, you can get some vets cheap who can help your depth. I do think 2-3 years is very possible.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#3 » by Cru Thik » Thu May 7, 2009 9:59 pm

No chance......... No chance in hell........

Yeah I don't see it these player would have to take leaps and bounds and I really didn't see that potential in them this year. We need to act now and sell what are still assets before we are stuck with players no one will trade for. Our best chance for a quick turnaround is to do what the Celtics did trade Iggy and Thad for two vets and pair them with Brand and make a run for 2-4 yrs and maybe get a championship. If we just stick with this group we will never be real contenders.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Thu May 7, 2009 10:24 pm

rswknight wrote:I think they can make it three years if they attack this going forward in the right way. IMO, Iggy, Thad and Brand are the core with M16 potentially making this into a Big 4. IMO, to become a contender within the next 3 years, Ed and the new coach need to focus on making this team into an Elite defensive unit with shooters surrounding the developing core. Every piece that does not complement that core needs to be moved for pieces that do. Dala, Thad and Brand all play from inside-out, so every other piece needs to function in the opposite way. If this team is flat-out nasty on defense, then that will trigger more open-court opportunities for the team. The half-court offensive philosophy would be geared around exploiting the mismatch on the floor and allowing the offense to flow from there. The shooters will keep the opposition more honest on defense.

This summer, they can take the steps necessary by using Miller to acquire a shooter and bringing a taskmaster for a coach(Either Doug Collins or Eddie Jordan(with a Def. Guru as his chief LT). I'd prefer Collins right now as a guy whose attention to detail and defensive approach will be an asset to the team moving forward.

Quoted for emphsis.

We need MOAR DEPTH, not an overhaul Cassidy

You act like we're the Knicks.

Eventually, the albatross contracts of Sam, Green and Evans will be expiring deals, so that is a time frame that those assets can be used to deepen the bench and improve the team. Plus, when you get close to contending status, you can get some vets cheap who can help your depth. I do think 2-3 years is very possible.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#5 » by sixerswillrule » Fri May 8, 2009 12:50 am

We can win 50+ games next season and a couple years after that with the right moves. I am sure of it. Good for at least 4th place in the East, possibly higher. Don't know if you would call that a contender, but I think being in that position for a few consecutive years would give us good opportunities...
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#6 » by ITK9 » Fri May 8, 2009 10:29 am

No.Nobody will be able to win the East as long as Lebron James is in his prime and is playing in East.
PowerElite
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by PowerElite » Fri May 8, 2009 11:32 am

ITK9 wrote:No.Nobody will be able to win the East as long as Lebron James is in his prime and is playing in East.

That's not 100% true. All that needs to happen is another "Gasol trade" or a late draft pick for a talented team in the East rapidly develops into an All Star/All NBA/Team USA caliber player. Z is a very underrated part of the Cavs team. He's approaching the end of his effectiveness. Skilled low post players are a hold over from the NBA's past. They are rarely replaceable. The Knicks certainly don't have that player on the roster.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#8 » by doctor him » Fri May 8, 2009 3:31 pm

There is a chance, but it really all rests on Thad's slender shoulders. To a smaller extent Speights and whatever "young" lead guard we get as well, but this is all up to Thad now.

IF Thad becomes what we all hope he becomes...a 22 ppg scorer with a superior all around game and the focal point of the team then there is no reason why the Sixers can't contend. If he tops out at good or just below very good then heaven help us.

Iguodala is what he is. I don't see much more improvement coming from him. Lou Williams has about another 9 months to show me something more. Despite his age he's been in the game for a while now and I'm not convinced if he has much more to his potential.

Speights has a high ceiling as well and I'll be interested to see how he returns in October. I'm also curious to see how Smith makes it back from surgery and if he can be an NBA starter.

And...whatever point guard they get in the draft needs to be a hit. Maybe not a Rondo level hit, but close. No Acie Law's are going to cut it.

But it's all up to Thad. A desparate fanbase turns its eyes to you.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#9 » by dbodner » Fri May 8, 2009 4:29 pm

I agree. it's up to thad.

If Thad can turn into the star, then you can start looking for role players. If Thad can be the 22+ ppg focal point of an offense, a guy capable of scoring even with the opponents defensive attention, with the defensive potential of Iguodala/Young/Brand at the 2-4, then we don't have to find a Deron Williams to man the point. Maybe someone of a Calderon level would suffice.

If Thad doesn't improve, we need to look for a top 5 level PG to contend IMO. which I don't see how we acquire with the pieces we have. If he does, then it becomes slightly easier.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#10 » by tk76 » Fri May 8, 2009 8:05 pm

Thad had that stretch when he was dropinng 20+ every night.

And per Derek's site, when Thad scored 23 or more the team was 11-2 and scored 12 more pts per game then their average.

13 games is a tiny sample size, but in those high scoring games for Thad the team had elite level success. I'm grasping at straws, but that could bode well for the future. Its certainly within the realm of possibility that Thad averages 22/gm sometime in the next 2 years.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#11 » by freshie2 » Sat May 9, 2009 2:59 am

Thad is huge if this core is going to be successful. I still think a deal where you move Sammy/Lou for Calderon and Bargnani significantly upgrades this roster. Lose a little defense, but take huge strides offensively. If you add those two to the 2-4 rotation you mentioned, and add a solid draft pick, you should take some big steps forward.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#12 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat May 9, 2009 3:08 am

I don't know. It actually scares me thinking about it. I really think this team needs to hit rock bottom and get a lottery pick. Maybe a lottery pick 2 years in a row. We need some superstars, not stars... SUPERstars.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#13 » by sixerswillrule » Sat May 9, 2009 4:49 am

freshie2 wrote:Thad is huge if this core is going to be successful. I still think a deal where you move Sammy/Lou for Calderon and Bargnani significantly upgrades this roster. Lose a little defense, but take huge strides offensively. If you add those two to the 2-4 rotation you mentioned, and add a solid draft pick, you should take some big steps forward.

A frontcourt of Brand, Bargnani, and Speights would not work. But regardless, that's not even close to being fair value for Toronto. If salaries matched, I don't think they would even do Sam and Lou for Bargnani alone. But I am interested in Calderon...
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat May 9, 2009 10:26 am

sixerswillrule wrote:
freshie2 wrote:Thad is huge if this core is going to be successful. I still think a deal where you move Sammy/Lou for Calderon and Bargnani significantly upgrades this roster. Lose a little defense, but take huge strides offensively. If you add those two to the 2-4 rotation you mentioned, and add a solid draft pick, you should take some big steps forward.

A frontcourt of Brand, Bargnani, and Speights would not work. But regardless, that's not even close to being fair value for Toronto. If salaries matched, I don't think they would even do Sam and Lou for Bargnani alone. But I am interested in Calderon...

Bargnani was one of the worst players last year, a one-dimensional offensive bust does not deserve to be a Sixer.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers