ImageImageImageImageImage

Grizzlies to offer David Lee $50 million?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Grizzlies to offer David Lee $50 million? 

Post#1 » by Rhettmatic » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:36 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Several league executives say that the Memphis Grizzlies are preparing a $50 million offer for New York Knicks restricted free agent David Lee. “There’s a great deal of interest in him, and a lot of teams are trying to be very creative,” his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Wednesday morning

Gotta figure there's no way the Knicks match that.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Re: Grizzlies to offer David Lee $50 million? 

Post#2 » by totallyr » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:38 pm

Utah going to get a good pick next year, Knicks in the lottery
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#3 » by EventHorizon » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:38 pm

Yeah a little too much I think, but I guess the Grizzlies must do it.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,417

Post#4 » by dagger » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:39 pm

Supposedly, the Knicks are looking to offer him 4/$32 million. Might he take that to stay in NYK? I'd take a cut to stay in NYK, with d'Antoni, than go to Memphis and play in an empty arena.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#5 » by boshjonesford » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:39 pm

it better be more then 5 years
Canuck9
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Canuck9 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:40 pm

EventHorizon wrote:Yeah a little too much I think, but I guess the Grizzlies must do it.

In this economic climate i dont think the grizzlies should do this at all.

Teams like the grizz should be looking to continue to build through the draft and when
they look like they are bound to make the playoffs that is when they should go out
and overpay for that next piece to take them to the next level. David Lee is not this player.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,417

Post#7 » by dagger » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:45 pm

Canuck9 wrote:
EventHorizon wrote:Yeah a little too much I think, but I guess the Grizzlies must do it.

Teams like the grizz should be looking to continue to build through the draft and when
they look like they are bound to make the playoffs that is when they should go out
and overpay for that next piece to take them to the next level. David Lee is not this player.

They also have to sell tickets. While Memphis has a large black population, the region around Memphis, reaching into Arkansas and Mississippi, also has vast number of whites. The racial divide is more pronounced in that region than in almost any other area of the US I have visited. Right now, the Grizz use Gay and Mayo as the faces of the franchise, but with 2,000 attending some games, they aren't a very good sell. Hate to say it but a clean-cut white kid like Lee - the perfect Southern name - might expand the Grizzlies' market.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
bingolong
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#8 » by bingolong » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:48 pm

dagger wrote:
Canuck9 wrote:

They also have to sell tickets. While Memphis has a large black population, the region around Memphis, reaching into Arkansas and Mississippi, also has vast number of whites. The racial divide is more pronounced in that region than in almost any other area of the US I have visited. Right now, the Grizz use Gay and Mayo as the faces of the franchise, but with 2,000 attending some games, they aren't a very good sell. Hate to say it but a clean-cut white kid like Lee - the perfect Southern name - might expand the Grizzlies' market.

As soon as he gets there they'll be calling him "General Lee". New York's offer was apparently 4yrs/$32 mill, but if they add another year, I think Lee stays in NY 5/$40
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#9 » by Dennis P » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:49 pm

dagger wrote:
Canuck9 wrote:

He's not an impact player. You can't market around a guy who is a role player just because he's white...
Canuck9
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by Canuck9 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:50 pm

dagger wrote:
Canuck9 wrote:

Is this why they drafted Hasheem Thabeet?
Lib84
Senior

Post#11 » by Lib84 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:51 pm

I doubt it. They have Thabeet and Gasol with Darrell Arthur also in the mix.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,101

Post#12 » by djsunyc » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:57 pm

dagger wrote:Supposedly, the Knicks are looking to offer him 4/$32 million. Might he take that to stay in NYK? I'd take a cut to stay in NYK, with d'Antoni, than go to Memphis and play in an empty arena.

really? you would pass up $18 mil and lower tax rate? i wouldn't. plus he can always force a trade later. you're 26, you need to make as much coin now so when you have 50+ years of not playing, you can enjoy it more.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,101

Post#13 » by djsunyc » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:58 pm

conley
mayo
gay
lee
gasol/thabeet

that's a nice young core to sell...
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#14 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:05 pm

dagger wrote:Supposedly, the Knicks are looking to offer him 4/$32 million. Might he take that to stay in NYK? I'd take a cut to stay in NYK, with d'Antoni, than go to Memphis and play in an empty arena.

Money is Money, and 4/$32mil living in one of the most expensive cities in North America vs. 5/$50 to live in Memphis is quite a bit more bank at the end of it all.
Air_Surfer
Rookie

Post#15 » by Air_Surfer » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:07 pm

dagger wrote:
Canuck9 wrote:

lol?? winning = fill the seats not what the skin colour of your players are

I've never seen a basketball game filled with majority of the fans being black either (minus high school)
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#16 » by ghuytro » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:10 pm

Dennis P wrote:He's not an impact player. You can't market around a guy who is a role player just because he's white...

A role player who puts up 16/12 on 55% shooting and a 19.1 PER?

He's a highly underrated player.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,463

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:10 pm

Too much for Lee IMO. I'd go after Millsap if I was them personally
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#18 » by Dennis P » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:13 pm

ghuytro wrote:
Dennis P wrote:He's not an impact player. You can't market around a guy who is a role player just because he's white...

A role player who puts up 16/12 on 55% shooting and a 19.1 PER?

He's a highly underrated player.

great numbers but definitely not an impact player do you agree?
ayo_23
Veteran
And1: 164

Post#19 » by ayo_23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:14 pm

totallyr wrote:Utah going to get a good pick next year, Knicks in the lottery

Wow... Can we trade Bosh to Utah for someone and the knicks pick?
Then we'd have 2 lotto picks! John Wall! :lol:
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#20 » by Avenger » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:14 pm

lol, so the Grizzlies dumped their franchise player Pau Gasol to create caproom to sign David **** Lee? How disgraceful is that?

Return to Toronto Raptors