ImageImage

David Lee to Grizzlies or Thunder?

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

David Lee to Grizzlies or Thunder? 

Post#1 » by I Am Awesome-O » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:59 am

A source told Ken Berger that he believes David Lee's days as with the Knicks are over.

Agent Mark Bartelstein will reportedly have Lee sign an offer sheet with the Grizzlies or Thunder that the Knicks will not be willing to match.

"It's a tough loss for New York, but they don't want to screw up their 2010 plan," the source said.

Via CBSSports

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/ ... r_thunder/

I won't believe it 'til I see it, but one thing's for sure- this is going to be a very exciting free agent period.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: David Lee to Grizzlies or Thunder? 

Post#2 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:02 am

Detroit signs Gordon and trades for a PF
OKC signs Millsap
Memphis signs Lee

All is well in the world.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#3 » by It_Was_Typed » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:53 am

I'd rather have Millsap, but Lee isn't a bad option.
#JuiceIsFree
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#4 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:00 am

The funny thing is that Detroit, OKC, and Memphis all want a power forward and all have the money to make it happen. It will be interesting if a bidding war develops, or they lay off and let teams match offers.

I think Milsap is the most coveted, followed by Lee. For me I like Big Baby and he might be the cheapest although they still need to offer enough so Boston doesn't match. Having Varejao opt out now gives them one more to consider.

The biggest concern is making the wrong offer, waiting for the matching period, having other free agents snapped up while they wait, and then having the team of the one they sign to an offer sheet match. That would be a big blow. The Grizzlies need to play it right.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:23 am

You're right on that DT. The Grizz need to play this smart and carefully. If they overblow their money on their player of choice and he turns out to be a dud. They are stuck with him for a while. I guess with the options in FA right now. Try out David Lee and see what happens.
drunkskunk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by drunkskunk » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:13 am

I hope that if the Grizzlies do pick up FA PF that they don't over pay.The Grizzlies are years away from being a true contender and the FO needs to just build on their roster with quality players with reasonable contracts.That being said I think David Lee would fit in well with the current Grizzlies .
Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Knicksick » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:00 pm

Hey guys Knick fan here. Just thought I'll give you my two cents on the Lee situation.

First off let me say that the latest rumours in NY have Walsh offering 6years/42mill. or 4years/32mill. meaning we are in the 7-8mill. range. IMO and pretty much 90% of knick fans believe that this is what Lee is worth at the moment.
Most knick fans , including me, believe that if you offer a 5year contract worth 50mill. (10mill. per year)he is gonna be yours and that there is no way Walsh would match such a contract.

As for the player David Lee:

Pros:

1)Very good rebounder (both ends of the court)
2)Very good at finishing around the basket. Dunks the ball whenever he can but has also very good hands and touch around the basket
3)Very decent passer (although sometimes a little sloppy)
4)Good free throw shooter for a big man (75-80% range)
5)Good athleticism and ability to run the floor
6)throws nice outlet passes in case you wanna run)
7)Very good teammate and locker room guy, also off the court no scandals etc.
8)Has improved on the offensive end every year adding something. Came into the league strictly as a garbage basket type of guy but added a little post moves,driving ability,flip shots,can hit the midrange shot
9)Hustles and plays with decent intensity

Weaknesses:

1)Defense,defense,defense---in contrast to the offensive end he has shown almost no improvement on the defensive end--his man to man defense is pretty poor but not terrible
2)help defense is non existant---whenever an opposing guard drive Lee won't even TRY to contest the shot
3)struggles against stronger Forwards
4)hasn't led the Knicks to a singular decent season---Knicks finished alwas around 30wins

Most Knick fans including me feel that on a real good team contending for a title Lee is a 6th man rather than a starting PF simply due to his defensive problems.
BUT in case you guys end up paying him 9mill. or 10mill. per year it won't be the end of the world. If you can somehow turn him into a decent defender than he is gonna be worth every penny you pay him. If not than he'll probably still be movable although it's gonna be a bad contract type of signing.

Anyways good luck....
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#8 » by dark-child » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:57 pm

Lee or Milsap if these are the choices, I don't have a problem with either. Like what was previously stated it is more important to not over pay either. It would seem with recent developments in Utah that the easier signing would be Milsap and probably for a lot less. Detroit has priortized Villanueva ahead of him and they would also like to sign Ben Gordon and they have roughly 18 million to do both so they could not exceed 9 million for Milsap or Lee.

Oklahoma City while having the space they are not going to blow it on someone who is going to be fourth on the pecking order so big bucks seem highly unlikely. Memphis pay attention as this is the case for us as well. Granted we need a power forward but should we pay in excess of 10 million for what will eventually be our fourth best starter? Internally this is why the Randolph to Memphis noise will not die and does make some sense. If we were talking about a superstar at the position then we do what is necessary but we can't lose sight that Gay this year, Mayo in three years, and Gasol in two, and Thabeet in four will command huge jack. Now the one saving grace is that with either signing we should front load the deal descending down to 8 million from 9.5 or 10 on the first year with an insane trade kicker that prevents them from having the ability to move the player later a la Josh Smith.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#9 » by I Am Awesome-O » Wed Jul 1, 2009 6:28 pm

What makes Lee and Milsap even more attractive is that they will both be very tradable assets down the line. So, say Memphis signs Lee to a 5 year $50m contract this summer, then drafts another PF (Favors, Monroe, Davis, Henson, etc) in next year's draft. They can keep Lee for a couple of years and groom the new PF behind him. Then, when the new PF is ready, they can trade Lee and get back some quality assets and let the new PF take over long term.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#10 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 10:49 pm

I read where Detroit is preparing to offer Villineuva a contract. If so that leaves Milsap and Lee to OKC and Memphis, with Utah and New York in position to match. Is it worth it or would Bass, Davis, or Varejao suffice at less money and be more attainable targets?

The latest story has Heisley nixing an offer to Lee. Somehow I don't think it tells the whole story. My guess is that he nixed it because they're waiting on something else,not because they don't want him and if that falls through they might still try to sign him. But they are stupid if they think they can take their time.

They needed to have their ducks in a row right after the draft and should have their battle plan drawn up and ready to go with any situation that may arise ready to be overcome. If they're flying by the seat of their pants and go with whatever fancy they see on a day to day basis they'll make the wrong move, no doubt.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies