Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2) 

Post#1 » by Captain Erv » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:37 pm

From David Aldridge at NBA.com:

And forward Josh Childress, who started the trend of NBA players going overseas last season by signing with Greek power Olympiacos for three years and $20 million, will visit the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday, according to his agent, Jim Tanner. Childress can return to the NBA, but his rights would still be owned by the Atlanta Hawks, who drafted him in 2004, as a restricted free agent -- meaning the Hawks could match any offer from other teams for Childress. But Childress has not yet decided whether to stay in Greece for a second season or come back to the NBA.

Childress does not want to return to the Hawks, however.

The Bucks, who drafted point guard Brandon Jennings last week, are in desperate need of making another splash after trading Richard Jefferson to the Spurs last week and not tendering free agent forward Charlie Villanueva, who was in Detroit Wednesday talking with the Pistons.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2) 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:38 pm

Ha ha. Europa has a great source.......

This is pretty cool.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Fight the Tank » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:39 pm

I would hope we can sign and trade here.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,519

Post#4 » by Frank Nova » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:40 pm

So he is under contract for 2 more seasons in Greece and the Hawks can match any offer from a NBA team... what are the chances he plays in Milwaukee next season? probably not very good...

Inspiring news none the less, nice to see Hammond is bringin him in, he could be another nice young asset to the team we are trying to build.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#5 » by Newz » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:42 pm

I think we might see a Sessions for Childress sign and trade, if this is true.
buckaroo
Senior

Post#6 » by buckaroo » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:43 pm

Captain Erv wrote:From David Aldridge at NBA.com:

And forward Josh Childress, who started the trend of NBA players going overseas last season by signing with Greek power Olympiacos for three years and $20 million, will visit the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday, according to his agent, Jim Tanner. Childress can return to the NBA, but his rights would still be owned by the Atlanta Hawks, who drafted him in 2004, as a restricted free agent -- meaning the Hawks could match any offer from other teams for Childress. But Childress has not yet decided whether to stay in Greece for a second season or come back to the NBA.

Childress does not want to return to the Hawks, however.

The Bucks, who drafted point guard Brandon Jennings last week, are in desperate need of making another splash after trading Richard Jefferson to the Spurs last week and not tendering free agent forward Charlie Villanueva, who was in Detroit Wednesday talking with the Pistons.

Interesting no other team visits mentioned. That could mean he has genuine interest in playing for MIL and not just about coming back to the NBA.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#7 » by crkone » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:43 pm

This past season Childress was god awful at shooting. If the Bucks do sign him, I hope it was just a down year for him but he is 26 so I don't see any more upside with him.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#8 » by rrravenred » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:44 pm

Would be chuffed to land Childress. A really good defender and glue player on both ends. The fact that he's visiting may pressage that something's been in the works for a while. Whose spot does he take? Although we're thin at SG after Redd, the SF position has a bit of a glut, with two combo players better suited (IMO) for the 3 in LRMAM and Alexander. I've not heard anything indicating that Childress wants to return to the NBA at all costs, so we'd have to offer him a decent package.

Max should be feeling quite nervous right now.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#9 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:44 pm

:D Nice to hear, good call europa.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:45 pm

I'd love to have him. Not sure why he'd pick Mil over other teams that could offer him the same cash.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#11 » by Newz » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:48 pm

Bogut - Elson - Gadzuric
Luc - Johnson - Thomas - Allen
Childress - Alexander
Redd - Bell - Meeks - Stoudamire
Ridnour - Jennings

Could easily see that being the Buck's squad next year... Maybe a few minor deals with our expirings and/or a cheap free agent.

If we could get a reasonable power forward by packaging any of Elson, Gadzuric, Thomas, Allen, Alexander, Bell, Ridnour... I believe we could be a very solid team.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#12 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:49 pm

I would be a fan of this. I was pretty high on him 2 years ago with the Hawks.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#13 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:51 pm

LukePliska wrote:I think we might see a Sessions for Childress sign and trade, if this is true.

Doubt it. My guess would be that Childress isn't in the Hawks immediate plans at this point. They just traded for Crawford, still need to extend Marvin Williams, decide what to do with ZaZa (whom they supposedly want to keep) and sign a starting PG (probably not Bibby I would guess).. I think they let him walk because they have a guy who is giving them decent minutes at tha same position already (Maurice Evans).
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
buckaroo
Senior

Post#14 » by buckaroo » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:52 pm

LukePliska wrote:Bogut - Elson - Gadzuric
Luc - Johnson - Thomas - Allen
Childress - Alexander
Redd - Bell - Meeks - Stoudamire
Ridnour - Jennings

Could easily see that being the Buck's squad next year... Maybe a few minor deals with our expirings and/or a cheap free agent.

If we could get a reasonable power forward by packaging any of Elson, Gadzuric, Thomas, Allen, Alexander, Bell, Ridnour... I believe we could be a very solid team.

No Ersan? No Sessions?

I wonder if we are taking on a bit of the ORL model. No real PF, just a bunch a longer guys (LRMAM, Childress, JA, Ersan) a C and a PG.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#15 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:54 pm

rrravenred wrote:Would be chuffed to land Childress. A really good defender and glue player on both ends. The fact that he's visiting may pressage that something's been in the works for a while. Whose spot does he take? Although we're thin at SG after Redd, the SF position has a bit of a glut, with two combo players better suited (IMO) for the 3 in LRMAM and Alexander. I've not heard anything indicating that Childress wants to return to the NBA at all costs, so we'd have to offer him a decent package.

Max should be feeling quite nervous right now.

Childress would be the starting SF.. nothing really for Redd to be nervous about at this point.

Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#16 » by Joana » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:55 pm

Childress is overrated. His biggest strength is that he knows his limitations - and that's a frequently underappreciated skill and one I generally like a lot. But he doesn't have the quality to be a starter in a good team. And he can't shoot; if the Bucks were to add another perimeter player, it should be a better shooter than Childress.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#17 » by midranger » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:55 pm

I've been saying that we'll use the MLE money that we cleared under the tax on someone rather than Sessions or CV for months. Childress and Bass were my two biggest targets, so I'm happy with this. Bye, bye Ramon.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#18 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:56 pm

Geez, if this isn't proof that europa is Hammond, I don't know what is. :D
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#19 » by Max Green » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:56 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote::D Nice to hear, good call europa.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#20 » by cam2win » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:58 pm

Hmm interesting, definitely a guy with some talent. I agree it seems odd and random that he's coming here with no mention of other interest. Given he has 2 years left in Europe you have to think there is something to this. Curious to see who is moved to make room for him.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks