ImageImage

Blazers not looking for a PG after signing Hedo?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Blazers not looking for a PG after signing Hedo? 

Post#1 » by Spykes » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:02 am

That was the latest bit of news from Quick. In his latest interview on 1080 just a few minutes ago, Quick said that Portland may not upgrade their PG spot after signing Hedo. He said he got strong indications from Nate and KP that the Blazers will focus the rest of the summer on signing a backup PF and basically leave the PG position alone. He said KP and Nate like Hedo's ability to handle the ball and run the pick and roll so much that it really mitigates the need for a better PG.

Thoughts on this?
BlazerFanDan
Senior
And1: 1

Re: Blazers not looking for a PG after signing Hedo? 

Post#2 » by BlazerFanDan » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:04 am

Antonio Mcdyess would be nice.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#3 » by Malapropism » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:07 am

I'd say they are fairly justified. I'm sad we can't get a better defender at the point, so I'm really hoping Bayless steps up.

Offensively though, I agree with Nate and KP.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#4 » by CB-Blazer » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:07 am

The question is, how will we sign a back-PF without capspace?
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Spykes » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:08 am

CB-Blazer wrote:The question is, how will we sign a back-PF without capspace?

S&T's are always possibilities.
KHADAFFI
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#6 » by KHADAFFI » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:08 am

BlazerFanDan wrote:Antonio Mcdyess would be nice.

+1 :D
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#7 » by SabasRevenge! » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:10 am

Spykes wrote:That was the latest bit of news from Quick. In his latest interview on 1080 just a few minutes ago, Quick said that Portland may not upgrade their PG spot after signing Hedo. He said he got strong indications from Nate and KP that the Blazers will focus the rest of the summer on signing a backup PF and basically leave the PG position alone. He said KP and Nate like Hedo's ability to handle the ball and run the pick and roll so much that it really mitigates the need for a better PG.

Thoughts on this?

We need a G who can defend PGs and shoot the lights out.
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#8 » by Khazim » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:10 am

I really think we need some defense at the point, but offensively Blake is the perfect fit around Roy/Turk. Hopefully Bayless can continue to grow defensively and get his shot consistent, if he can he'd be much better than Blake.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
BBen
Starter
And1: 0

Post#9 » by BBen » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:11 am

Despite the fact that I'm not a fan of Blake's I'm very OK with this move. If they don't acquire another PG at least that means that Bayless will be getting some minutes. I just hope that Bayless doesn't have a short leash similar to Sergio's. If Hedo means more time for Bayless I'm a huge fan of the Hedo signing.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#10 » by Billy » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:14 am

Where the hell is this backup PF going to play?

I mean at center you have

C:Oden, Joel and a little Aldridge.

PF: Aldridge, Outlaw, Pendergraph, Cunningham

I'll say this, I'm in favor of Turkoglu if Portland is willing to commit to winning now. But if they're serious about winning now they need to look at that PG spot. Turkoglu helps a lot, but Blake is definitely the weak link and was absolutely exposed in the playoffs. He was the weakest link defensively in that starting 5 and Hedo IMO is a step down defensively from Batum (although maybe not as huge as some would like to think).

I just don't know. Getting Hedo shows commitment to winning right now. Keeping Blake as your starter does not.

The West has gotten tougher. Houston has tanked and the freakin' Lakers of all teams are about to reap the benefits. Milwaukee took back scraps for Jefferson and instantly pushed San Antonio back into contention. Hedo put Portland in a great spot to compete with the Lakers of last year. They just raised the bar again, Portland has to meet that--again.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Spykes » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:16 am

SabasRevenge! wrote:
Spykes wrote:That was the latest bit of news from Quick. In his latest interview on 1080 just a few minutes ago, Quick said that Portland may not upgrade their PG spot after signing Hedo. He said he got strong indications from Nate and KP that the Blazers will focus the rest of the summer on signing a backup PF and basically leave the PG position alone. He said KP and Nate like Hedo's ability to handle the ball and run the pick and roll so much that it really mitigates the need for a better PG.

Thoughts on this?

We need a G who can defend PGs and shoot the lights out.

Those guys don't exactly grow on trees, and the teams that do have them usually don't shop them.
LOOSH
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#12 » by LOOSH » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:16 am

They're right running pick and roll won't be a huge issue having Brandon and Hedo, but we need D at the point!

Hopefully Bayless breaks out
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Spykes » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:17 am

Billy wrote:Where the hell is this backup PF going to play?

I mean at center you have

C:Oden, Joel and a little Aldridge.

PF: Aldridge, Outlaw, Pendergraph, Cunningham

I'll say this, I'm in favor of Turkoglu if Portland is willing to commit to winning now. But if they're serious about winning now they need to look at that PG spot. Turkoglu helps a lot, but Blake is definitely the weak link and was absolutely exposed in the playoffs. He was the weakest link defensively in that starting 5 and Hedo IMO is a step down defensively from Batum (although maybe not as huge as some would like to think).

I just don't know. Getting Hedo shows commitment to winning right now. Keeping Blake as your starter does not.

The West has gotten tougher. Houston has tanked and the freakin' Lakers of all teams are about to reap the benefits. Milwaukee took back scraps for Jefferson and instantly pushed San Antonio back into contention. Hedo put Portland in a great spot to compete with the Lakers of last year. They just raised the bar again, Portland has to meet that--again.

It was implied it would be a trade with Outlaw.
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 56

Post#14 » by Telfaire » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:17 am

So Blake stays, while Outlaw and maybe Webster as well (dont forget he's coming off a major injury and could add depth at two positions without whining about minutes, unlike TO) are expendable in a trade for a backup PF.

I'd preffer trading Blake and Outlaw for Hinrich, if possible, then signing Powe or a veteran like Dice.
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#15 » by sabi » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:18 am

hopefully bayless brakes out and this might have to do with also with rudy's PT.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#16 » by SalemStoner » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:19 am

making looking for a traditional backup PF has been a smokescreen from day one... not that we wouldn't like one, but anyone who thinks that was ever above "fix PG rotation" and "fix SF rotation" on KP's list of things to do was either foolish or gullible.
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 56

Post#17 » by Telfaire » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:19 am

Also, I agree that Bayless is our best available option as a PG lockdown defender. Hinrich is better at guarding scorers on the perimeter.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#18 » by Mr Odd » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:22 am

It sounds like they will run it similar to the 90s Bulls.
Where the PG spot is used like a SG (BJ,Kerr) since
Roy & Hedo can handle the ball so well AND both
can create points for themself and others off the
dribble. My next guess would be a trade, and they
could wait on that all the way to the dead line.. .

If the Blazers do get Hedo, I think Kirk now would
be a good fit. But ONLY if Hedo becomes a Blazer.
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,796

Post#19 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:28 am

I would be disappointed if we went into the season with Blake being our starting point guard if Hedo was our starting SF. With the scheme Nate runs on defense this would only mean more foul trouble for Greg.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Spykes » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:30 am

I agree with everyone else that with Hedo, I really like Hinrich for the team. I'm OK with Blake on the offensive end of the floor with Hedo, so I don't have a problem that Hinrich doesn't add much on that side of the ball. The defensive difference between Blake and Hinrich would be a real nice upgrade tho.

That said, Hinrich really seems to be off-the-table now. I'd definitely like a Blake and Outlaw for Hinrich, but I just don't think it'll fly with the Bulls anymore. Actually, I'd LOVE a Blake and Webster for Hinrich deal, but that's far less likely.

Signing Powe could be a really interesting move. After his injury, we might be able to get him for a 1 year vet min deal.

Dice would be great, but it'd have to be a S&T and I don't think they'll have much interest in Outlaw or Webster.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers