ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors will not be ready for start of regular season

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Raptors will not be ready for start of regular season 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:31 am

Link

So Jay - do you have enough time to blend this all together to your satisfaction?

"You know what? Probably not," said Triano before Thursday night's 124-112 pre-season loss to the Houston Rockets. "But we knew when we brought in nine new faces from training camp last year, it wasn't going to happen in the month of October. This is something that's going to evolve."

Sweet Jesus.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Re: Raptors will not be ready for start of regular season 

Post#2 » by KingstonRaptors » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:53 am

I hope this evolution doesn't take longer than the end of December, it'll be very- heck- near impossible to recover with an irrecoverable losing record.
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
carlosrogers34
Junior
And1: 18

Post#3 » by carlosrogers34 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:55 am

The very next sentence in the article:
He's right, of course - nine new players was going to mean a period of adjustment either way.

And Bosh a bit further down:
"We had very good chemistry [in 2006-07], and that didn't come in the beginning," says Bosh. "But as we got rolling ... we're trying to get to that same chemistry again, or even better."

I don't think anyone expects this team to be at their best to start the season. That'll be when the playoffs roll around.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#4 » by whoknows » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:12 pm

smoke screen... :wink:

no surprise here, but 3 of the 5 starters know each other very well, so they are 3/5 there with starters. Bench, different story, pretty much start from scratch, so yep, no surprise they are a work in progress at least until end of November.
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#5 » by KG1585 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:23 pm

They had a month of training camp and if they still can't be ready for the season is kind of ridiculous. This would have been the perfect year for the team to go to Europe. The big three's first season with the Celtics, they went to Europe, I think that brought them together and they had good chemistry right at the start of the season.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#6 » by RonaldArtest » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Patience grasshoppers, patience. 10 games into the season is a better time to judge....or perhaps a better time to panace.
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#7 » by MinnyMo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:57 pm

I think Triano is talking about building chemistry, not about being in game shape.Who ever thinks that all it takes to create chemistry is four weeks of training camp is delirious, especially when you factor in two starters missed the first half, a key rotational player is likely missing the entire training camp, it only makes it that much harder. Chemistry isn't developed over night.
Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#8 » by Nothingface » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:10 pm

raptormage wrote:
I don't think anyone expects this team to be at their best to start the season. That'll be when the playoffs roll around.

72.9% of this board expects them to be at their best right now!
I do what I feel, not because people ask me to do this,” Bargnani says, holding his hands over his head and doing a strange chicken dance.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,462

Post#9 » by DG88 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:48 pm

I expected the team to start off like the 06/07 team and build up from there
RaptorZz101
Senior
And1: 14

Post#10 » by RaptorZz101 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Everyone start panicing... START PANICKING :lol:
Maybe if they didnt rest Turk for a gajillion years the chemistry for the starting lineup would atleast be somewhat progressed.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#11 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:57 pm

The moment that this team stops using excuses is when they can be successful because at that point the free ride for the players no longer exists. When you say stuff like that it gets into a players' head (or any employee for that matter) you're not really being made accountable and it's not your fault so the effort suffers. To concede they will give up valuable wins in the 1st month of the season which are just as important as those March wins is ridiculous. That's what training camp is for and if it takes an extra effort to get acclimatized to each other then take extra time to do it. When the Lakers acquired Gasol in February which was a drastic change in thier starting lineup and affected the chemistry of thier bench the Lakers didn't whine and say we might crap out the rest of the season. They got the #1 seed and got to the Finals and just did what was expected of them. A sure sign of a winner. The Cavs had a big change with Shaq but somehow I don't think they'll use that as an excuse, they"ll just win. The Celts 2 years ago are also a great example, they just won with a complete overhaul right from the start.

It's like the Blue Jays, it's been drilled into thier heads for years from management that it's almost impossible to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox right from Spring Training and if there are any injuries they have no chance. So when the 1st injury occurs the players subconsciously give up and the intensity goes down even though the Red Sox and Yankess suffer numerous injuries thru the season.

Losers talk, winners just win. If the Raps want to make up a new excuse with saying that everything will be OK if we start 2-10 because this season will parallell the 2006\07 season then we are in for a long season because very few seasons repeat themselves. These same excuses are just really getting old and boring.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#12 » by dacrusha » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:03 pm

whoknows wrote:smoke screen... :wink:

no surprise here, but 3 of the 5 starters know each other very well, so they are 3/5 there with starters. Bench, different story, pretty much start from scratch, so yep, no surprise they are a work in progress at least until end of November.

A bench (with some talented players) starting from scratch is still better than the catastrophe that was last year's bench.

Still, one of the excuses made by Triano/BC regarding Triano's less than stellar coaching debut last year was that he didn't have a full training camp to work with. Well, he's got one this year and now there's more excuses; chemistry, injuries etc etc.

I agree with Yosemite Dan: only once the excuses stop, will this team start to be successful... IOW, the first month may be a write off because of the free-ride given to the coaches and players.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Air Canada
RealGM
And1: 7,556

Post#13 » by Air Canada » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Theres gonna be an adjustment period once the season starts but Im not too concerned. I dont think it will take very long to figure everything out.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#14 » by barrist » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:13 pm

It's just a coach saying coach-like things. Never being satisfied, it's going to be an evolution, blah blah blah. Not that big a deal guys.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#15 » by timdunkit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:15 pm

KG1585 wrote:They had a month of training camp and if they still can't be ready for the season is kind of ridiculous. This would have been the perfect year for the team to go to Europe. The big three's first season with the Celtics, they went to Europe, I think that brought them together and they had good chemistry right at the start of the season.

I don't think that there not ready ... its just there not lubricated and smooth yet. Some teams take time to gel and some teams need more time to gel. Its a learning process no matter what way you spin it. The Mavs took some time to gel with Kidd but the Lakers got along quickly with Gasol.

The Raptors didn't just bring in 9 new faces, they brought in an entire new system. Bosh/Bargs/Jose have as much to learn as the other 9 new guys because they played in the old system for 3 years.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#16 » by barrist » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:16 pm

And wasn't BC skewered for saying this could be a 50 win team, but now tempering early expectations is loser talk?
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#17 » by timdunkit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:17 pm

barrist wrote:It's just a coach saying coach-like things. Never being satisfied, it's going to be an evolution, blah blah blah. Not that big a deal guys.

Actually, by being honest he softens the blow and when people are in panac mode he could remind them that he knew this was going to happen ... it looks like he has been learning from BC ....
ShaqSlamsU
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#18 » by ShaqSlamsU » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't expect the Raps to do much this year, to me it seems other teams got better, all we got is new faces.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#19 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:23 pm

timdunkit wrote:
KG1585 wrote:They had a month of training camp and if they still can't be ready for the season is kind of ridiculous. This would have been the perfect year for the team to go to Europe. The big three's first season with the Celtics, they went to Europe, I think that brought them together and they had good chemistry right at the start of the season.

I don't think that there not ready ... its just there not lubricated and smooth yet. Some teams take time to gel and some teams need more time to gel. Its a learning process no matter what way you spin it. The Mavs took some time to gel with Kidd but the Lakers got along quickly with Gasol.

The Raptors didn't just bring in 9 new faces, they brought in an entire new system. Bosh/Bargs/Jose have as much to learn as the other 9 new guys because they played in the old system for 3 years.

I can almost guarantee when you watch the Raps this year thier offensive system will look exactly the same . High pick and rolls, alot of standing around while Bosh swings the ball with his hands from side to side and alot of 3 pointers in the 4th quarter. In essence the same systme we've had for 3 years because that's the only way the type of players we have can be effective. Remember Turk is another jumpshooter on a starting lineup full of jumpshooters. On defense there will be alot of preaching to the media that we just need to communicate on defense. We just have to talk and we'll be fine.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#20 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:26 pm

I don't know if I like Triano making that public. You put thoughts out in the universe and they start to become real.

All Jay had to say is "we're still building chemistry but I know we'll ge there, these guys seem to genuinely like each other, everyone's anxious but it'll get there"....simple

Return to Toronto Raptors