ImageImageImageImageImage

Biedrins' Ailment

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Biedrins' Ailment 

Post#1 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:37 am

Osteitis pubis is a medical condition which is prevalent among footballers, runners and other athletes, particularly players of Australian rules football....

Osteitis pubis... is characterised by inflammation of the pubic symphysis, which is the joint at the front of the pelvis between the two ends of the pubic bone. This inflammation leads to sclerosis and bony changes of the pubis symphysis, causing both acute and chronic groin pain. The condition can render sufferers incapable of sustained physical activity. There is no specific treatment for the condition and it can seriously affect the careers of footballers affected by it....

The cause of osteitis pubis is excessive physical strain on the pubic bone, usually caused by the increasing rigorous demands of competitive sport, particularly soccer and football. In such sports, actions such as running, jumping, kicking and rapid changes of direction cause the abdominal and groin muscles to exercise a pulling or traction force on the pubic bone, which in some cases can result in excessive stress and inflammation. In Australian football this risk is increased by repeated jarring of the pelvis caused when players come down from the high leaps required by the game, and also by tackling from other players...

Until recently there was no specific treatment for osteitis pubis. As it frequently causes long-term problems, medication, stretching and strengthening of the stabilising muscles are usually used. Topol, in Argentina, used glucose and lignocaine injections (prolotherapy or regenerative injection therapy) to restart the healing process and generate new connective tissue in 72 elite athletes with chronic groin/abdominal pain who had failed a conservative treatment trial. The treatment consisted of monthly injections to ligament attachments on the pubis. Their pain had lasted an average of 11 months, ranging from 3–60 months. The average number of treatments received was 3, ranging from 1–6. Their pain improved by 82%. Six athletes did not improve, and the remaining 66 returned to unrestricted sport in an average of 3 months.[2] Surgical intervention, such as wedge resection of the pubis symphysis, is sometimes attempted in severe cases[3], but its success rate is not high, and surgery may lead to later pelvic problems.

Uhh... that doesn't sound good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteitis_pubis
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,617

Re: Biedrins' Ailment 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:47 am

We talked about this a few days ago. Sounds serious, hopefully it was caught early on.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=967064&start=210
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#3 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:15 am

Meanwhile, Amare has played every game...
Coxy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Coxy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:19 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Meanwhile, Amare has played every game...

lol, and looking good too. Not max good, but still pretty dominant. My wallet hurts.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#5 » by yehyeh82 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:16 pm

I was pretty worried at first when I read about the condition on wikipedia, but I came across this tidbit from emedicine that eased my worries a bit:

International

A study by Westlin reported that 80% of the athletes that presented to the Sports Medicine Clinic in Malmo, Sweden, had this condition.7

Seems like if you're a professional athlete, you'll probably end up with some symptoms of this ailment. Maybe Biedrins has a worse case than most, but it seems like this could be one of the setbacks of being a pro athlete.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/87420-overview
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,691

Post#6 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm

I gotta laugh at the sig the Suns fan made for you Coxy. I was at that game where Amare posterized Foyle. The Warriors won. :lol:
Coxy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 am

floppymoose wrote:I gotta laugh at the sig the Suns fan made for you Coxy. I was at that game where Amare posterized Foyle. The Warriors won. :lol:

Yeah, cant wait for my next one December 26th. Seems like Im just buying Degrading sigs of the Warriors for $25 each time we play.

If Nellie can pull me a win next game, I'll stay away from the Nellie bashing for 1 week. :)
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Chris Cohan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:48 am

That international competition hernia sure cleared up quick.
Trade talks must be heating up.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#9 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:07 am

Hernia, you may need a medical primer from FNQ...

And quick? I would not say quick. Definitely not quick.

Let's hope he can stay up and not have to get pulled after one half like Turiaf.
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#10 » by Chris Cohan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:17 am

Uh huh.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#11 » by yehyeh82 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Chris Cohan wrote:Uh huh.

Your post count is more stat padded than a pg in a Don Nelson offense....
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
Chris Cohan
Banned User

Post#12 » by Chris Cohan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:44 pm

The trainers were saying Biedrins was a long way away as recently as last week.
Magically ready to go now after Bill Duffy says "boo."

Uh huh.
flooredyas
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by flooredyas » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Any insight on the plan for his useage Saturday vs. Phoenix? Will he be slowly brought back (10-15 min) or will he be thrown into the fray immediately (25+ min)?
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#14 » by turk3d » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:15 pm

10-15 from what I hear. As pointed out, bringing him back could be a smokescreen for a trade. I'm not really sure if he's fully recovered. We should get a better idea on Saturday although I expect to see him in limited minutes.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Head Leader
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#15 » by Head Leader » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Chris Cohan wrote:The trainers were saying Biedrins was a long way away as recently as last week.
Magically ready to go now after Bill Duffy says "boo."

Uh huh.

Carlos Boozer anybody ?

;/
"I am the Head leader, it all starts with me." - Monta Ellis

www.amuseaudio.com

Return to Golden State Warriors