ImageImageImage

Concerns for Phil Jasner

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kevin12
Banned User
And1: 0

Concerns for Phil Jasner 

Post#1 » by Kevin12 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 5:55 pm

Holy siht he looks like he aged 40 years in like 2 months.

Damn I hope he's alright.
smssjp20
Ballboy

Re: Does Phil Jasner have cancer or something? 

Post#2 » by smssjp20 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 7:25 pm

He's very sick, which is a shame.
"Suddenly Moscow is Pro-Rocky!"
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#3 » by Lapinski » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:33 pm

Someone from the Daily News told me last year that he missed all that time due to surgery. I had asked if he had back surgery again and the answer was "no it was for an undisclosed medical condition". This year it is obvious that they are grooming Cooney to replace him and Cooney has done most of the writing in his place this year.

You may have done good reading between the lines. I really hope you are wrong. I haven't seen him lately and I hope he battles whatever ails him.
Kevin12
Banned User

Post#4 » by Kevin12 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:34 pm

Phil is standing right in front of Gilbert Arenas in the interview last night. I seen the video on ESPN.

All Phils hair has turned white and it's real stringy and falling out. And his skin and face looks terrible.

He looks like a corpse. He definitely has something seriously wrong. I'm gonna look for the video.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#5 » by sixers hoops » Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:27 pm

When they signed Iverson, there was a clip of Jasner at the conference, so Barkhan said there is Phil Jasner and then followed with something along the lines of "despite his sickness." I tried doing a google search but couldn't find anything. I then saw him again last night and his hair may have been slightly thinner than last month.
mega montana
General Manager

Post#6 » by mega montana » Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:32 pm

damn shame, i always liked "phillip" as AI once called him
Hates the Sixers' brass
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#7 » by Cru Thik » Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:04 pm

They just ran a snippet of the Arenas interview last night with Phil front and center. It looked like he was going totally bald. Maybe from treatment from his illness? Hopefully Phil can pull through.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#8 » by sec-106 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:02 am

mega montana wrote:damn shame, i always liked "phillip" as AI once called him

Me, too.
IversonsMother
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#9 » by IversonsMother » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:44 am

I was gonna post something about this after we signed AI and he was on DNL. I always liked him as well, there is clearly a serious medical condition with him. I hope he gets well.
Rnd Mnd of Rbnd
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#10 » by Rnd Mnd of Rbnd » Thu Jan 7, 2010 1:23 am

I hadn't even considered any of this, but now that you mentioned it, he has looked different lately. I hope he gets well if there is something seriously wrong.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#11 » by dbodner » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:03 am

I was sitting down in section 121 last night, which is right where the media leaves after the game. he walked right by, and I had an "oh my god" moment. He honestly does like 20 years older than he did two years ago. I was shocked.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
barkley34
Veteran

Post#12 » by barkley34 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:55 am

Here is a pic from November. I know he was battling an undisclosed sickness in April so hopefully he is ok.

http://sct.temple.edu/blogs/news-events ... News-2.jpg
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#13 » by freshie2 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:30 pm

He doesn't look good...some tremors as well. It is a shame if something is seriously wrong. I really enjoyed his work, but besides that, you never want to see anyone with a serious illness.
Kevin12
Banned User

Post#14 » by Kevin12 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 2:56 pm

barkley34 wrote:Here is a pic from November. I know he was battling an undisclosed sickness in April so hopefully he is ok.

http://sct.temple.edu/blogs/news-events ... News-2.jpg

OMG that pic is from November??????????????????

He looks 30 years older than he did 2 months ago.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#15 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jan 8, 2010 3:48 pm

Hopefully, he has something treatable that will allow him to recover.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Lapinski » Fri Jan 8, 2010 4:55 pm

e-mail I sent....

Phil,

I am writing to express my concern reguarding health issues you may be facing. I am not alone in my concern. Lately fans of yours have noticed you don't look yourself. I along with others are wishing you a return to health and prosperity you deserve.

I and many in all parts of the country (and globe) have looked to you for decades as the resident expert at the Daily News on all things 76ers and the NBA. Personally, I remember listening to you on the radio (you were being interviewed) as you came back to work from serious back issues and surgery. That was three decades ago. I was impressed by your courage then and now. That sticks with me still today as I hope to return to work from an extended absence due to leukemia and bone marrow transplant. So, not only do you write inspiring articles you inspire people.

Just letting you know there are alot of people pulling for you if you are still ill. I also want to remind you that you have summoned your courage before and that I am sure you will have the courage to once again perservere if need be.

Sincerely,

Originally he said thanks and he would get back to me later from his laptop and then just sent his message that "we inspire each other". He also mentioned he hoped to be writing for a long time. Even if he did tell me what was wrong I would not post it here, and hope anyone else who may have that knowledge keep it close to the vest. Google his name and this thread is the 5th link listed after Temple inducting him into their Hall of Fame. Someone should contact a Mod and ask that the title be changed to something like "Concerns for Phil Jasner" or something a little softer without mentioning CA.

So I think anyone who really cares should wish him well, not knowing what the issue is nor should you really ask, respecting his privacy. I only mentioned the back issues because at that time he was open with why he had missed some work early in his career. Let him know our thoughts and prayers are with him and we all wish him well.

Phil has been recognized by the Basketball Hall of Fame, has held offices in several professional organizations and honestly the best basketball writer this city has ever had. I predate his career here so I think I can make that judgement.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Re: Concerns for Phil Jasner 

Post#17 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:20 pm

Good stuff, Lapinski. Always liked Phil... I'll be pulling for him.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#18 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:35 pm

+1
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#19 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:09 pm

Can there be something like an honorary post or something? I've never really known Lapinski much or anything but that was deep, real deep. And it reminded us of the bond we share in Philadelphia as fans and beatwriters of our favorite team. That was awesome, Lapis. There's only one you and it's you 8-)
Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Lapinski » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks, I try to pattern my life like George Baily, if you know who that is. Must read below for how much he gives back to the journalism profession.

http://j1111.blogspot.com/2009/10/phil-jasner-its-crazy-lifestyle-and-its.html

Return to Philadelphia 76ers