SF76 Deadline Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

SF76 Deadline Thread 

Post#1 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... trade-talk

The Sixers are only growing more determined to make a deal before the deadline. I’ve heard that in strong terms from three different sources this week already.

Which tells me we should expect to keep hearing more trade scenarios that include Andre Iguodala’s name.

Foiled in its longstanding attempts to move Samuel Dalembert and/or Elton Brand, Philly has apparently come to realize that its best shot at a shake-it-up move is convincing one of the risk-taking/big-spending teams out there – such Houston, Dallas and Cleveland – to absorb the four years and $56.3 million remaining on Iguodala’s contract after this season.

Not that I’d give the Sixers great hope of hooking Cleveland.

The Cavs are still chasing a big man that can stretch the floor with 3-point range and continue to hope they can get one by peddling Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ expiring contract.

Washington’s Antawn Jamison and Indiana’s Troy Murphy remain Cleveland’s top targets – with the further hope that Big Z will be released by his new team and thus eligible to be re-signed after a 30-day wait like Antonio McDyess in Detroit last season -- as opposed to pursuing the likes of Iguodala or Golden State’s highly available Corey Maggette.

Iguodala and Maggette have both been known to masquerade at the 4 spot in a small-ball setup but can’t really be classified as power forwards.

Regardless of contract, Iguodala must be attractive to teams. Also, Dalembert has turned it on. Should be wanted on the market.

Where is sixerfan when we need him?
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Re: Marc Stein on ESPN.com: 6ers determined to deal 

Post#2 » by sixerfan1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 pm

i think we will consider a salary dump situation as long as we dont have to move Thad, Speights or jrue. If it were my team..no one would be untradeable except Jrue.

Teams have been asking for Iguodala.....if we include Brand or Dalembert..they want a young inexpensive piece too. I would move Lou though. Hand the keys over to Jrue at the point now. Let him grow rest of season.

McGrady is possible.....but I wouldnt say probable. Do you have any confidence if we had 12-14 million in cap room ths summer that we would use it on the right player? I dont with this regime.

We need a good coach..and a good GM.....If you fire Jordan now..you gotta use Ayers probably teh rest of the year. I think Jordan lasts the season.....but doesnt come back next year.

I dont expect anything to happen until after the all star break..but I do expect us to move salary somehow if possible. They are losing money big time. Could even be as small as a Willie Green trade. Its definitely a very bleak moment in the history of this franchise.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#3 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:32 pm

1. Mahorn, you should edit your post to add SF76 to the thread title.

2. SF, I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly. Is there interest of some other team actually taking both Iguodala and Brand? Is there interest by the Sixers to move BOTH players?

3. Rate the Sixers desire to make these moves:

-Move Brand for talent
-Move Brand for cap relief
-Move Iguodala for talent or cap relief
-Move Sam to escape the tax this summer? And if so, how much are they willing to give away to achieve this?
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by sixerfan1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:36 pm

we want to move brand or dalembert with iguodala. teams like houston are saying..ok to do that we need a young piece like speights or young in the deal. We are balking at that.

sixers would move anyone except jrue, thad or speights from my understanding.

I personally would move anyone but Jrue.

no one wants brand by himself. no one seems to want sam for an expiring right now.

we are exploring all options to cut salary......there isnt anything imminent. there is a desire to move one or more of our big salary guys..you know who they are.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,859

Post#5 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:43 pm

sf:

If EFJ is not long for this team, then why the f would we be making ANY major player moves until we give a REAL coach the opportunity to work with this roster?

Trading Iguodala, Thad or any of our young resources - without getting rid of Jordan first and figuring out if this roster can work - would only cement this team as the biggest laughingstock this city has seen in 50 years.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by sixerfan1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 pm

bebo,
I agree....team already is a laughing stock tho.

jordan or not..the team has high salaries and no one goes to the games so they are losing money.

if tehy can salary dump..they will...that has nothing to do with jordan's failures.

These are two seperate issues.

How can you be in luxury tax land and make money when no one goes to teh games.

if we had no money issues..I definitely see your point.
76ers76ers
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#7 » by 76ers76ers » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks sf for the updates...........Seems to me that they are back in the rebuilding mode.
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#8 » by underpressure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Who on earth aren't we willed to trade two talented but flawed players in Young and Speights? They have shown nothing to be considered unmoveable.

In fact, I would be much more willed to package Brand and Young for cap relief than including Iguodala in any similar fashion. Young is due for a extension next summer and given his poor play and intangibles we shall not overpay him.

We will be screwed for years if Speights and Young are our key building blocks for the future. And I will be done for a few years with this team (as many should be) if the managment blows up this team.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,520

Post#9 » by Slacktard » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:51 pm

I really really hope that article isn't saying the Sixers would move Iguodala by himself in a deal as a way of getting cap relief.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by sixerfan1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:52 pm

underpressure wrote:Who on earth aren't we willed to trade two talented but flawed players in Young and Speights? They have shown nothing to be considered unmoveable.

In fact, I would be much more willed to package Brand and Young for cap relief than including Iguodala in any similar fashion. Young is due for a extension next summer and given his poor play and intangibles we shall not overpay him.

We will be screwed for years if Speights and Young are our key building blocks for the future. And I will be done for a few years with this team (as many should be) if the managment blows up this team.

I agree...speights cant rebound..Thad..I dont know what happened to him. These are guys i would move......

I know we tried to get houston to do Lou, Dalembert and Iguodala for McGrady, Cook and Lowry but they declined.

Like i said..nothing is imminent but we are at least contemplating starting over. My opinion is the start over should include GM and coach as well.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by sixerfan1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Slacktard wrote:I really really hope that article isn't saying the Sixers would move Iguodala by himself in a deal as a way of getting cap relief.

I dont think so......everything I heard is he is available if we package him with another contract
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#12 » by underpressure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:54 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:I know we tried to get houston to do Lou, Dalembert and Iguodala for McGrady, Cook and Lowry but they declined.

You are joking, aren't you? :o
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 pm

I wonder if they moved Iguodala + Brand + Young could they get back much in the way of young talent or picks? I realize they must get out form under those big contracts, but if all three were traded that would basically be fielding a college team and it would take 3 or more good drafts just to field a competitive roster.
steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Post#14 » by steveb21 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Is Stefanski 'determined' to deal or is he 'desperate' to deal? That's two different things from where I sit and I think it could be the latter. He's the one that put this thing together and right now it's crashing down all around him. His seat's got to be real hot about now.

SF, do you get any sense the Lukko will pull the plug on this regime?

I agree with bebop in the sens that we really shouldn't make any move until we have a coach who has a clue. Anything else is just desperation and that's a path that could set this franchise back for years.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by sixerfan1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:58 pm

underpressure wrote:
sixerfan1976 wrote:I know we tried to get houston to do Lou, Dalembert and Iguodala for McGrady, Cook and Lowry but they declined.

nope......
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm

underpressure wrote:

That would be a horrible move. Basically sacrificing Iguodala and Lou to save one measly year of Sam's contract. You have to think Iguodala and Lou have some value. they have long contracts, but are both young and talented. They need to be traded for some value, or at least as a part of a deal that moves Brand.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by sixerfan1976 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:00 pm

steveb21 wrote:Is Stefanski 'determined' to deal or is he 'desperate' to deal? That's two different things from where I sit and I think it could be the latter. He's the one that put this thing together and right now it's crashing down all around him. His seat's got to be real hot about now.

SF, do you get any sense the Lukko will pull the plug on this regime?

I agree with bebop in the sens that we really shouldn't make any move until we have a coach who has a clue. Anything else is just desperation and that's a path that could set this franchise back for years.

Havent we already been set back for years?

I havent gotten the feeling that Eddie J wont finish the season...but Ed S is definitely feeling the heat.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Sixerfan back re:Stein on ESPN.com: 6ers determined to deal 

Post#18 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm

But will Stefanski finish the season?
Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Post#19 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Sixerfan,

Has there been any talk about Iguodala with Dallas?

I could see Cuban taking Dalembert and Brand in order to get Iguodala. They have the expirings to get it done. This would also put Dallas in a much stronger position to win during the Dirk era. Plus, Cuban has the cash, that's for sure.
steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Post#20 » by steveb21 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Havent we already been set back for years?

Well...yes, but I think a good coach still gets this squad into the playoffs. Despite all its flaws there's too much talent on this roster to be playing this poorly night in and night out.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers