ImageImageImage

Poll :franchise to leave (then get expansion, keep name)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

"Sixers" expansion franchise and have the "old Sixers" relocate?

Yes. Send the Ed's to inflict NBA basketball on a new city. Leave us with the Sixer name and a promised expansion team
50%
No, these are our beloved 76ers.
50%

Total votes: 18

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Poll :franchise to leave (then get expansion, keep name) 

Post#1 » by tk76 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 pm

If you had the choice, would you want this current team to move to Vegas- they take ownership, management and players... leave name for expansion franchise to start after the next CBA is signed (2 years.)
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Poll :franchise to leave (then get expansion, keep name) 

Post#2 » by tk76 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 pm

To be clear, I have never been so down on the Sixers that I actually wanted them to leave the city. But looking at the past 5 years and what I expect from the next five... there is no other franchise I'd least be rather rooting for then this one.

The Sixers used to be defined by superstars and characters. Wilt, Dr. J, Moses, Barkley, AI. All not only great but captivating.

Then Mr. Snider proclaimed no more "character issues." No more superstars who will be seen as more imprortant than the rest of the team. So he got what he wanted. A vanilla GM committing long term money to Brand... I mean bland second level stars. No Barkley's, but Brand. No AI, but Andre Iguodala. No players, just a system and a genius P.O. coach.

...not saying the Sixers have access to a superstar right now. But I'm not sure they even want to try and get one. At least not try hard enough in a way that deviates from their current model of building a team towards mediocrity.
Phastbreak91
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Phastbreak91 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Is this even possible?
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#4 » by dilbert719 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:28 am

Phastbreak91 wrote:Is this even possible?

It's been done in the NFL, when the Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens, and an expansion team was placed in Cleveland with the Browns name, and the NBA's reserving the Seattle Supersonics name and history for the next couple years, in the event a team decides to move to Seattle. (Though that only goes for a while, and eventually OKC will get the rights back.)

If the plan was to move this franchise to Seattle, lock stock and barrel, and give us a new expansion Sixers franchise... Sure, why not?
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
Phastbreak91
Senior

Post#5 » by Phastbreak91 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 am

Oh, in that case I would rather just fire eddie jordan and keep everything else to put it simply. We still havent seen what this team can do with real coaching and I like the players we have right now. I also think Stefanski is a good GM and has had major bad luck with his moves so far.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#6 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 am

Now you've gone too far.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by tk76 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:58 am

I'm just searching for a way to adequately express my frustration with the "retooling" direction of the team.

A small (unrealistic) part of me thinks that it will get back to someone at Comcast that fans are so frustrated they'd rather see the team move than continue with the status quo. And what I suggested is only a small step beyond wanting new ownership :) Its a perfectly "reasonable proposal."
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#8 » by 83SixersRocked » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:04 am

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. And I almost don't care.
Welfare Fraud
Starter
And1: 13

Post#9 » by Welfare Fraud » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:04 am

I'd love to start over with an expansion team but there are already too many teams in the NBA. If they contract some of the other miserable franchises so we can start over with our own miserable franchise, then sign me up.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#10 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:21 am

The last thing this league needs is another NBA team to dilute the talent.
Sixersfan87
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Sixersfan87 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 am

Wow this is a colossally bad idea. No matter how frustrating our team mire by mediocrity has become, to openly say that no basketball team might be better?

Why do you ask the people over at SaveOurSonics how life without their team is. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else but we are not even close to the bottom of the barrel in the league. The Clippers are for all intents and purposes cursed, the Wolves own GM has stated on record they won't be in the playoffs, not contending, playoffs, and let's not even get started on the woeful Nets who are quickly approaching the wrong kind of historical season.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by tk76 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Sixersfan87 wrote:Wow this is a colossally bad idea. No matter how frustrating our team mire by mediocrity has become, to openly say that no basketball team might be better?

I was trying this type of approach to vent frustration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

I don't actually want the team to leave... although the notion of "contracting" them out of existence and then replacing them with new ownership sounds fitting :)
is1531
Banned User

Post#13 » by is1531 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Send this franchise packing and bring in a new team called the Philadelphia Hounds. :D

Return to Philadelphia 76ers