ImageImage

40 minutes and two rebounds

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

ebott
Head Coach
And1: 133

40 minutes and two rebounds 

Post#1 » by ebott » Tue Mar 2, 2010 5:22 pm

I didn't watch last night's game. I'm just looking at the box score. Did LaMarcus really play 40 minutes and only get two rebounds?

He also got 4 steals and had the highest +/- on the team. Nate kept him in for most of the game so he must have been doing something right.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: 40 minutes and two rebounds 

Post#2 » by Soulyss » Tue Mar 2, 2010 5:55 pm

Actually what happened here was that LMA was working incredibly hard at keeping ZBO off of the boards... ZBO had 7 boards, which was well below his AVG, especially considering the Blazers small front line.

Look at the guard's rebounding numbers, this was totally because of the work LMA was doing fighting ZBO.

I am generally not a LMA apologist, and get as frustrated with La-Marsh-mellow as much the next guy, but last night he was definately workin. I would also say over the last month, his effort to play inside and rebound has been much improved.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 133

Post#3 » by ebott » Tue Mar 2, 2010 6:20 pm

That's what I was looking for. I knew there had to be some sort of rational explanation. I did notice the guard rebounding and was hoping someone could validate that this was in part due to Aldridge boxing out.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Mar 2, 2010 6:28 pm

aldridge is never going to be a great rebounder. People expecting that he will are simply being unrealistic.

But he's not as bad as some make out either. I read in O-Live that over the previous 24 games going into last night, Aldridge had been averaging 21 points and 8.8 rebounds on 52% shooting.

The key in the future for the Blazers isn't Aldridge grabbing more rebounds, it's Oden playing more games.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#5 » by Billy » Tue Mar 2, 2010 7:06 pm

Really last night was a perfect example out of what we'd like to see out of Aldridge consistently. I'd like more boards, but he fought for position and got everyone else a decent shot. He was working on boxing out and the guards did a great job of cleaning it up. This really felt like one of, if not the first game (didn't see the Chi one) where Portland really got back into fighting for rebounds. It seems like the first few games since the Camby trade that Portland felt he'd get all of the rebounds and there wasn't any point in boxing out.

There were certainly some times where Aldridge was beat last night--but I think that's expected when you're having to battle a guy like Randolph. But for the most part I think he did well. He also had to ensure that Zach couldn't set up for that 19' jumper, so there were a couple times where he was out of position to get boards anyway.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#6 » by britblazerdude » Tue Mar 2, 2010 8:21 pm

Aldridge was a big contributor to last night's win. Didn't show up on the stat sheet but he was big.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
jakjup216
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by jakjup216 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 9:38 pm

jakjup - I'm getting tired of these types of posts out of you. You need to either clean it up or find another message board. Thanks.
Last edited by Billy on Tue Mar 2, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting/Insulting another poster.
Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 49

Post#8 » by Andre 2999 » Tue Mar 2, 2010 9:54 pm

jakjup216 wrote:jakjup - I'm getting tired of these types of posts out of you. You need to either clean it up or find another message board. Thanks.

Yeah! :rock:......wait....wait, what? :o
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#9 » by mojomarc » Tue Mar 2, 2010 10:25 pm

You don't want to mess with Billy--he's usually the last one of us mods to get upset, so whatever jakjup said you can be assured it was pretty bad...
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Mar 2, 2010 10:31 pm

mojomarc wrote:You don't want to mess with Billy--he's usually the last one of us mods to get upset, so whatever jakjup said you can be assured it was pretty bad...

speaking of mods, did you guys banish Spykes to Siberia or something?
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#11 » by Milkdud » Wed Mar 3, 2010 1:05 am

I never realized he only got 2 reb yesterday. I agree that his rebounding numbers were limited but he put alot of effort of fighting Z-Bo for rebounding position.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#12 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Mar 3, 2010 4:36 am

Wiz, we could tell you, but we'd have to banish you there with him!

Nice stats for Aldridge over the last 24 games. I'd be very happy with those numbers.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Caravaggio
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#13 » by Caravaggio » Wed Mar 3, 2010 7:04 am

ebott wrote:I didn't watch last night's game. I'm just looking at the box score. Did LaMarcus really play 40 minutes and only get two rebounds?

He also got 4 steals and had the highest +/- on the team. Nate kept him in for most of the game so he must have been doing something right.

Eric, I like you. You're a quality poster that adds to this forum.

I am a hater of LMA's rebounding and general physicality.

That said, I think your post is out of place. LMA has been, perhaps, the most consistent offensive player for our beloved team for a number of weeks. Homeboy is shooting lights out. He plays a ton of minutes. Fault him for defensive IQ or whatnot, he's not a slouch.

I HATE when people post (for example) Bargnani was 18/8 for the last 3 months of 2008. Or xxxx baseball player bats 343 against lefties in night games on weekends below the 45th parallel in months with an average temperature below 63.

#12 shot 53% from the field in January with 8.46 rebounds per game.

Yes his rebound rate is average at best, but let us not forget the injuries to the #2 and #5 rebounders in the league(prior to injury).

What I mean by that is when those 2(or 1) come back full strength(hahaha yea right) LMA is the perfect fit.

Also: I like beer.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers