ImageImageImageImageImage

The Doc's Scouting Report - Derrick Favors

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

The Doc's Scouting Report - Derrick Favors 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 10, 2010 6:35 am

Derrick Favors

Position: PF/C
Size - 6'10, 246 pds

College stats (Georgia Tech): 27.5mpg, 12.4ppg, 8.4rpg, 1.0apg, 2.1bpg, 0.9spg, 2.5 TOs, 8.1 FGA (8.1 2s), 61.1 FG%, 62.9 FT%

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHld4VItav0[/youtube]

Scouting Report: Getting a read on Favors took a while because well, there were no videos of his college play on the net. Not that I hadn't seen a little of his play live, but due to his team's inability to get him quality touches, I found it inconclusive. But the above posted video is excellent and shows his ability in many situations.

What I'm most impressed by in Favors is his agility. He is especially quick turning with the ball when he gets it and exploding to the rim under the basket. According to DX he had exceptional efficiency around the rim in college showing great finishing ability, which is helped by huge length and hands. His explosiveness quickness combined with great hands and big frame, shows to me great potential as a face-up pick and roll weapon. Defensively he should be strong and committed.

The recent prospect Favors actually reminds me most of is Tyrus Thomas who had a similar combination of explosiveness and size. Which doesn't sound too hot, but the reason Thomas sucks is while you'd expect him to be a great finisher, he's actually one of the league's worst. Plus he's an idiot. Favors' upside would be what Thomas should've been. Which is essentially Shawn Kemp. Amare wouldn't be a terrible comparison either, but I'd be surprised if Favors moved off the ball as well as Amare or was quite that agile, making Favors not as strong a scoring weapon, but on the other hand Favors should be good defensively. Both of those points favor the Kemp comparison instead of Stoudemire. My middle ground comparison is young Kenyon Martin. He was an explosive PF and great defender but didn't have nearly the touch of Kemp or Amare, plus he took too many jumpshots. Thus instead of super efficient like those players, Kmart was on the inefficient side. Overall I would take Favors over Demarcus Cousins due to his higher upside and superior character

Low end/Middle Ground/High end

Low end: Tyrus Thomas - Outrageously talented enigma who just has you shaking your head

Middle ground: Pre-surgery, Nets era Kenyon Martin - Super explosive PF who loves to dunk, great defender, nice transition weapon, tough as nails. Possible sneak-in all-star on an elite team

High end: Shawn Kemp - Perenniel all-star, one of the most entertaining players in the league. Explosive as hell, deadly pick and roll PF. A super efficient 18-20pts, 10-11 rebounds with great defense

Projected draft slot: 3rd or 4th
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Re: The Doc's Scouting Report - Derrick Favors 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 10, 2010 6:55 am

I'm very intrigued by Favors. On one hand, he looks so raw with not much offensive skill. But, you can tell that he's got the size and athleticism to do well at the next level. One thing that these playoffs have taught me, is that you can never have enough size up front (just look at the freakin' Lakers), and Favors is long and big.

He'd actually be a good fit next to Bargnani. Too bad that he's out of our reach. So if not us, than he would look great next to one of the up-and-coming pick-and-roll PGs in Stephen Curry and the Warriors. Curry + Favors...watchout!
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,490

Post#3 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 am

If we were lucky enough to win #3, I'd love to take Favors. This kid has huge upside, and watching him on Georgia Tech this year, I really love his ability to impact the game defensively. Aside from Whiteside, I don't think there's any big man prospect in this draft with Favors' athletic ability.
FirstInkTDot
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,902

Post#4 » by FirstInkTDot » Mon May 10, 2010 11:11 am

I like Favors but the odd's of that happening are very slim... Like that guys ^^ Sig on top of me...
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#5 » by killerbs » Mon May 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Im with the guy with the Sig ^^ above that says Jose: "CATCH DE TASTE!"
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#6 » by Too Late Crew » Mon May 10, 2010 1:00 pm

I'll be curious to see how he actually measures out. Is he a true 6 10 or is he really 6 foot 8? He simply doesn't look that big.

I question his frame. Not sure how much weight he can add.

I like him. He reminds me a bit of Bosh. He seems a hard worker. Whoever gets him needs to be able to wait at least a couple years for some physical maturity. If he goes to a team that expects big things out him now they will be dissapointed.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,927

Post#7 » by Kevin Willis » Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Is he really as athletic as a Kemp, Stoudemire and Martin? I didn't see him this year so I don't know. How's his defense in comparison with everyone else on the team - can he be a defensive anchor in time?
Ska needs to make a comeback.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Post#8 » by anj » Mon May 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:Is he really as athletic as a Kemp, Stoudemire and Martin?

Not even close. Don't know where the OP is getting that from.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,490

Post#9 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon May 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:Is he really as athletic as a Kemp, Stoudemire and Martin? I didn't see him this year so I don't know. How's his defense in comparison with everyone else on the team - can he be a defensive anchor in time?

He looked very solid defensively in the games I watched him in, and really was an integral part of Georgia Tech's defense. Looked solid staying in front of his man, easily able to switch onto a perimeter guy in pick and roll situations, and looked to have pretty good help D, rotating and blocking shots. He is very, very athletic. With Lawal, he kind of ended up playing like a C a lot of the time, so it will be interesting to see how he transitions to playing in the NBA. I'm not sure how his offensive game will develop, but I think defensively he's going to look great.
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#10 » by cookieman » Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 pm

anj wrote:

He probably got it from watching games because, yeah, he is that athletic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Od-U5IF4s

This draft is deep with athletic bigs - Udoh, Favors, Whiteside, Sanders, Seraphin, etc.
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#11 » by Kevin Willis » Mon May 10, 2010 4:30 pm

cookieman wrote:
anj wrote:

He probably got it from watching games because, yeah, he is that athletic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Od-U5IF4s

This draft is deep with athletic bigs - Udoh, Favors, Whiteside, Sanders, Seraphin, etc.

He's not as explosive nor does he get off the ground that much. But he is a big body - more McDyess before knee surgery maybe?
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,585

Post#12 » by plainballing » Mon May 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Some how...I am not sold on PF from what happened to other PF during last few drafts...unless he is Duncan-ready prospect.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,183

Post#13 » by Hoopstarr » Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm a Tech alum so I see a lot of Tech games, unfortunately. Favors is not even close to as athletic or explosive as Thomas/Kemp/Amare/K-Mart. He does have good hands and post moves. Unfortunately, since Paul Hewitt coaches offense even worse than Mike Woodson, they couldn't get him the ball enough for us to get a good look at what Favors can do.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#14 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Mon May 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:He's not as explosive nor does he get off the ground that much. But he is a big body - more McDyess before knee surgery maybe?

hahaha, McDyess pre-knee problems was an absolute athletic juggernaut at the PF, and yes Favors is in that group of guys athletically (maybe a 1/4 step slower in speed, but strength, hops, length he's right with them).

Favors biggest problem was his choice of College programs. GT did nothing to help his draft stock as they had no guards who could make a competent post pass and they had another player named Lawal that he had to share the exact same role with on the team which cut his PT (in specific matchups) and touches.

IMO, he's going to be one of those players where everyone says: "Wow, I knew this kid would be good, but to be this good right off the bat is a surprise".
Fast_Feets
Starter
And1: 359

Post#15 » by Fast_Feets » Mon May 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Speed is so important in combination with hops. You can jump high and be slow but befast and jump 3/4 as high and be more effective.

I don't see the shawn kemp camparisons at all. Kemp was a beast and look at this guys speed going to the baseket?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVY0UHDT3bI[/youtube]
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#16 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 10, 2010 5:25 pm

For those of you looking for the next Shawn Kemp, there probably will never be a guy with his combination of size and out-of-this world athleticism.

BUT...there is this kid named Patric Young, who played in the McDonald's All-American game a couple of months ago. He'll be attending Florida, and let me tell ya, this guy is chisled and athletic, should be a name to follow next season as a freshman. Probably, Young will enter the 2012 draft.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Post#17 » by anj » Mon May 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Fast_Feets wrote:Speed is so important in combination with hops. You can jump high and be slow but befast and jump 3/4 as high and be more effective.

I don't see the shawn kemp camparisons at all. Kemp was a beast and look at this guys speed going to the baseket?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVY0UHDT3bI[/youtube]

this ^

I was actually impressed by some of Favors' practice footage that someone posted above , but it left me puzzled, because I've seen him in games and none of that really came through. He's much more deliberate than Kemp. Kemp was so fluid (before he somehow doubled in size) and truly had springs for legs.

You might be able to make an argument for Amare or K-Mart (still a stretch), but leave Kemp out of it.
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#18 » by Kevin Willis » Mon May 10, 2010 5:30 pm

So what's a more valid comparison then? I'm not as impressed with Favors as a top 5 pick right now. He'll be good but he seems like a slower Thomas to with me but with more offensive game. That's why I think McDyess.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#19 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Mon May 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:So what's a more valid comparison then? I'm not as impressed with Favors as a top 5 pick right now. He'll be good but he seems like a slower Thomas to with me but with more offensive game. That's why I think McDyess.

Go watch some old McDyess games when he was with Den and Phx, he was just as fast as TT and had just as much hops, he doesn't have TT's wing span though.

The guy I'd compare Favors to is Vin Baker before he learned what an all-you-can-eat buffet was or a taller version of a young Brand. Again, a slight step slower running the floor from the elite athletic PFs but every bit as much in hops, and strength. Plus Favors is long, but I don't think you're that far off with young McDyess other than the speed.

Edit: BTW, I would take Favors over Cousins if I were to be building a frontcourt from scratch. If I'm the Raps and land a top 3 I take Cousins.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#20 » by Raps in 4 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:01 pm

We're getting John Wall. No sense in scouting lesser prospects.

Return to Toronto Raptors