ImageImage

Hornets make Collison available

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Hornets make Collison available 

Post#1 » by sabi » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:09 pm

The Hornets are back in luxury tax territory heading into the 2010-11 season and Marc Stein of ESPN.com writes that they will likely be active on the trade market.

Rival teams will try to convince New Orleans to trade Chris Paul, but it's much more likely that they'll part with promising backup point guard Darren Collison.

Stein writes that the Hornets will likely ask any team interested in Collison to also take one of their cap-clogging contracts -- Emeka Okafor, James Posey or Peja Stojakovic.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67150/20100612/hornets_may_make_collison_available/

We can offer something like Rudy, Pryz (exp) and Miller (TO) for Collison and Posey

Our lineup would be

Oden/Camby
LMA/Pende
Batum/Posey
Roy/Web
Collison/Bayless

Do it Paul Allen!
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Re: Hornets make Collison available 

Post#2 » by cucad8 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:25 pm

I thought Miller showed last year that this team benefited greatly from his leadership at times, and more than anything, the presence of a true veteran on the court. I'd move Miller in the right deal, and am all for upgrading still the PG spot, but IMO, replacing Miller with Collison next season is a step back. For me, it's no longer, well, really has never been, but is definitely no longer about finding 5 guys all the same age who will theoretically play together happily for 10 years and form a dynasty for us. I want people on our team who are going to help us win NOW.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,028
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:55 pm

This "wiretap" was speculation by Marc Stein, who is clearly an idiot. How would moving Collison and Peja clear a cap clogging salary? IF Peja is moved, just as much salary has to come back, and Peja is an expiring anyway, so either way, the $$ will be off the books at the same time....

Not that Collison shouldn't be available, but "Hornets may make Collison available" is something we all knew all along.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:55 pm

This "wiretap" was speculation by Marc Stein, who is clearly an idiot. How would moving Collison and Peja clear a cap clogging salary? IF Peja is moved, just as much salary has to come back, and Peja is an expiring anyway, so either way, the $$ will be off the books at the same time....

Not that Collison shouldn't be available, but "Hornets may make Collison available" is something we all knew all along.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
sabi
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by sabi » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Yeah if Peja is an expiring then that deal clearly doesn't make sense but what about getting rid of Posey's contract? Would a deal like one I proposed be attractive to NO with some future first rounders as well?

And cucad8, sure Miller has been good for us so far but he's in his 30s and a chance to grab a young prospect like Collins, due the NO's circumstances doesn't come very often. If Portland isn't contacting NO right now to see if a deal can be done then they're not doing their jobs!
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

Studley
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Studley » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:54 pm

I like Andre, but I do think we need to find a long term PG to grow with our core. Collison is a great prospect - defensive minded with solid offense that would work in Nate's system. Hornet's fans are going to bash Rudy and Pryz as being hurt and Andre as too old, though is does address their lux tax.
Monty might be more receptive but I suspect he'd want to include Jerryd or Martell. There are lots of combos that work with them depending on whether it's Posey or Peja. Okafor is too expensive with a commitment of a LaMarcus type contract going to Oden.

I would include Jerryd and/or Martell for the upgrade at PG. Mike Conley might come cheaper.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#7 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Do the Hornets wanna rid themselves of Okafor? Who would play center for them? What's Okafor's offense like? Portland could add Okafor with Collison and see what happens with Oden. If he's doing fine with no real injuries, they could look to move Camby unless he'd be happy with a few minutes each game? Just thinking out loud... I would think they'd rather move a large contract than Posey's contract which is really not all that huge (2 years and roughly $14 million total. It would require both Przybilla and Miller go out in the deal though... unless we moved Camby in that deal and held on to Miller??? Portland has some options IF they wanna make a play for Collison.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:57 pm

I dunno, I wouldn't mind dumping Posey, but I'd rather just keep him, he is still a contributor, and we could use Collison to bring in real talent, instead of trying to just free up money where we won't be under the cap now.

I still think if Philly takes Evan Turner, what becomes of Iguodala or Thad Young? Collison+ Peja wouldn't be a bad starting place to bring in Iggy IMO. Can anyone think of a better young player along with an expiring that Philly could get back?
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#9 » by farzi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:23 am

But we REALLY want him :(
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#10 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:27 am

sabi wrote:
We can offer something like Rudy, Pryz (exp) and Miller (TO) for Collison and Posey

Our lineup would be

Oden/Camby
LMA/Pende
Batum/Posey
Roy/Web
Collison/Bayless

Do it Paul Allen!

this would be sweet like honey even though i like all three players suggested to swap.
if Peja instead of Posey - full house. unsure if plausible contract wise though with Peja though.
truth is that Miller is serviceable max 1 more year.
sabi
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by sabi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:27 am

Iggy for Collison would be a good deal for NO if they're willing to take on that salary. But if they want some expirirings Portland has plenty. If only Rudy could have built on his rookie year instead of getting injured we'd have a much better chance at pulling off a big trade this summer.
Prodigy73 wrote:

sabi
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by sabi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 am

farzi wrote:But we REALLY want him :(

This
Prodigy73 wrote:

re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#13 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:37 am

cucad8 wrote:I thought Miller showed last year that this team benefited greatly from his leadership at times, and more than anything, the presence of a true veteran on the court. I'd move Miller in the right deal, and am all for upgrading still the PG spot, but IMO, replacing Miller with Collison next season is a step back. For me, it's no longer, well, really has never been, but is definitely no longer about finding 5 guys all the same age who will theoretically play together happily for 10 years and form a dynasty for us. I want people on our team who are going to help us win NOW.

i hear u. but look at OKC. they're a contender starting next season with current squad. we got guys in mid 20's + camby and howard which is fair.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:40 am

sabi wrote:Iggy for Collison would be a good deal for NO if they're willing to take on that salary. But if they want some expirirings Portland has plenty. If only Rudy could have built on his rookie year instead of getting injured we'd have a much better chance at pulling off a big trade this summer.

I don't think the Hornets are ready to blow it up yet, that's the thing.

I'd love to see Paul/Thornton/Iggy/West/Okafor with Posey, Wright, an MLE or something, and our draft picks.
Manuel Calavera
Starter
And1: 307

Post#15 » by Manuel Calavera » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:48 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I dunno, I wouldn't mind dumping Posey, but I'd rather just keep him, he is still a contributor, and we could use Collison to bring in real talent, instead of trying to just free up money where we won't be under the cap now.

I still think if Philly takes Evan Turner, what becomes of Iguodala or Thad Young? Collison+ Peja wouldn't be a bad starting place to bring in Iggy IMO. Can anyone think of a better young player along with an expiring that Philly could get back?

Cunningham =)
Fico King
Senior
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Fico King » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:20 am

I would hope NO would not give away Collison to get under the lux tax. Think No could probably get there just by trading for a TPE. For example NJ has cap room and has a starting PG and Center but needs a PF. NO could trade West and Wright for a future 1st and TPE
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:32 am

I know RealGM is a what have you done for me lately site, but I think what we have and what we did with it is fairly nice. We went 7 games with teh defending champion Spurs a few years back with a fairly unimpressive roster. Since then, we've upgraded massively at C, and if we trade Peja, we can massively upgrade over him, and Thornton is better than any wing we had then, Wright will be better than he was then, Paul and West are better and more seasoned than they were during that run.

Injuries and bad luck have set in recently(I'm sure you all can sympathize) but the Hornets aren't far from being a contender IMO, especially since our superstar PG adds new wrinkles to his game yearly.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 123

Post#18 » by Butter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:40 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I dunno, I wouldn't mind dumping Posey, but I'd rather just keep him, he is still a contributor, and we could use Collison to bring in real talent, instead of trying to just free up money where we won't be under the cap now.

I don't really see the Blazers and Hornets as great trading partners. However, I don't know if the Sixers and Hornets are great trade partners either. The Sixers seem to be in rebuilding mode, so I don't think the Sixers would be excited about taking on big salaries. Also, they just drafted Jrue Holiday, so bringing in Collison might not be the best fit for them.

However, I think that the idea of a three way might be a really good fit with those three teams.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am

True, but a nice 3 way trade could help.

Iggy to New Orleans, Peja and 3rd parties young prospect to Philly, and Collison to third party.

That way they get out of a big contract, and they can get a nice young prospect that isn't a PG.

Dunno how they feel about Holiday though, and if they are high on Collison, they could move Holliday as well.

Anyway, if you guys want Collison, we'll give him to you with Peja, and take some contracts you don't want in exchange for Oden. We'll even throw in West or Okafor if you want :)

But honestly, if it ever came down to being forced to trade Chris Paul, I would want to do it with something involving Oden, that way I could live with the trade and hope for a productive future.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 123

Post#20 » by Butter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:56 am

Here's one option for a 3-way:

Portland Trades:
Joel Pryzbilla
Rudy Fernandez
Martel Webster

Portland Receives:
Darren Collison
James Posey
Morris Peterson
The Blazers give up some potential cap space in Joel Pryzbilla, but make an obvious upgrade at PG. While Posey and Peterson are over payed at this point in their career, they would fill in as veteran role players at positions of need for the Blazers off the bench.

New Orleans Trades:
Darren Collison
James Posey
Morris Peterson

New Orleans Receives:
Andre Iguodala
The Hornets seem to be clear winners in this deal. They do give up a young PG with a lot of upside, but they clear some mediocre players in Posey and Peterson in favor of a star.

Philadelphia Trades:
Andre Iguodala

Phildelphia Receives:
Rudy Fernandez
Joel Pryzbilla
Martel Webster
The Sixers may honestly need more to complete this deal. Maybe the Blazers send them a draft pick? However, Rudy will clearly upgrade their perimeter shooting. Webster may benefit from a different system. Finally, I believe the Sixers will appreciate Joel's cap friendly contract. If it's insured this year they get instant savings, and then they'll have an expiring contract to parlay into improved talent next year.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers