ImageImage

'Short' time till the Draft

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

'Short' time till the Draft 

Post#1 » by TBpup » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:03 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16755/kevin-pritchard-going-out-in-a-blaze-of-glory

Given what Chad Ford had to say about Kevin 'going out in a Blaze of Glory', I thought I'd try and do a little digging, follow up and see what I could find. Most of the people I talked to confirmed what Ford had said and even more...that Pritchard has been VERY active in talks around the league, in discussions around moving up, and potential trades etc.

However, I was also told this by more than one person as well. The other GMs in the league are aware of the situation Pritchard is in....that he is fighting for his job if that even remains a possibility. They believe they have him at a bit of a disadvantage because he is viewed as a bit of a lame duck GM and may be trying to make moves not only to better the team but to save his job. That makes them feel like they have leverage over the Blazers and though there have been a lot of discussions, nothing yet looks like it is anything that you would consider to be in Portland's favor.

Of course there is still more than a week to go but that was the general consensus from the group of people I spoke with. More as it comes in.

:starwars
@TBpup22
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Re: 'Short' time till the Draft 

Post#2 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:27 am

is it bad i let out a school girl like scream in my room when i saw this thread?

these threads are my favorite of the off season
someone sticky this
make it the TBPup officeal offseason thread
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 56

Post#3 » by Telfaire » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 am

Looks like moving ahead a few spots in the draft, yet again to draft a euro and stash him...my shorts will hold themselves.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#4 » by Village Idiot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 am

my gypsy friend is interpreting this as making a play for Collison using Przybilla's contract.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Walton'sBeard! » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Telfaire wrote:Looks like moving ahead a few spots in the draft, yet again to draft a euro and stash him...my shorts will hold themselves.

Other than Seraphin there really are no Euros in this draft. Anyone know his buyout status? I like the idea of drafting him, but not if he is staying in Europe.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#6 » by JD45 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks for the attempt.

This pre-draft has been painfully absent of fun news, rumors and hints.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Walton'sBeard! » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Quick was just on the MSP and had some interesting things to say. He chose his words carefully, like he knew something but didn't want to say too much. But he thinks KP has a big move up his sleeve.
TBpup
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by TBpup » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Walton's Beard.....was listening to the same thing and I'm guessing Quick may be talking about some of the same things I've heard. Kevin is definately making the effort. It's whether or not he can pull it off but it's not for lack of trying. I suspect there will be more details as we get closer to next Thursday.

I applaud Pritchard for aiming high...
:D
@TBpup22
SinceClyde
Pro Prospect
And1: 5

Post#9 » by SinceClyde » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm

What I'm most excited for is a little backwards; I'm psyched at getting a second round steal. I think in this draft you could get it.
Since Clyde The Glide
TBpup
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by TBpup » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Pieces coming in indicate the effort is much more in line with a trade or sign-n-trade. They are also trying to move up in the draft but that is not the the biggest item on the agenda.
@TBpup22
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#11 » by JD45 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:11 pm

KP is going to make a fine GM in Phoenix.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Walton'sBeard! » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Sign and trades (and deals using JPEC) can't happen until July, KP may be fired by then.

It would be awesome if he had a deal in place to land Bosh but got canned before he could complete it.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#13 » by Soulyss » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 pm

TBpup wrote:Pieces coming in indicate the effort is much more in line with a trade or sign-n-trade. They are also trying to move up in the draft but that is not the the biggest item on the agenda.

Obviously you can't get too detailed, but can you give us an idea if it's a Big or a Guard/Wing they are targeting?
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#14 » by SabasRevenge! » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:38 pm

If the sexual harassment allegations are true (seems very likely), I don't agree with the way that Pritchard and mostly his agent handled the Penn matter. It's a huge financial liability for any business as well as an ethical/workplace safety issue.

Still, I applaud the way Pritchard is fighting through this and giving it his all even with his back against the wall. It's a testament to his competitive spirit, work ethic, and character.

It's also something that could save his job. If the head hunters the Blazers have hired find suitable candidates but Pritchard is/has just masterminded a big leap forward into contention for the team, it would be stupid to let him go.

If KP manages to secure a high pick or elite free agent this summer, he should not only be retained, but extended.
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#15 » by Ripcity4life » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:39 pm

TB i have gone on record more then once questioning you as a "insider" but i will not go down that road again but i will say in an odd way your entertaining.

Also at least your a Blazer fan a TRUE one unlike this the Car named member who is a Troll and should be banned.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#16 » by Billy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I was thinking the same thing regarding sign and trades Walton'sBeard. I can only guess a couple of things.

1. KP can put together multiple free agency plans that revolve around acquiring someone via sign and trade and is given a couple of weeks to make it happen.

2. KP provides a detailed plan to Paul Allen and Co and is promptly fired. Someone like Larry Miller attempts to execute the plan.

It would be highly interesting to see if this relationship can be repairable, or even if the two sides want it repaired. This could be Paul Allen trying to squeeze whatever he can out of Pritchard, or maybe it's just an elaborate wake up call.
TBpup
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by TBpup » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:07 pm

TB i have gone on record more then once questioning you as a "insider" but i will not go down that road again but i will say in an odd way your entertaining.

Also at least your a Blazer fan a TRUE one unlike this the Car named member who is a Troll and should be banned.

RC4L...I appreciate your fan endorsement at least. :P It's too bad you couldn't have joined us at the draft parties the last few years. I've never claimed to be an insider but when the OregonLive blogger leaves the media area and comes over to where D69 and I were because we had and were getting info way before any of them were, I bet you would have had a raucous time with the rest of us. Kind of like the 'Rudy Rudy Rudy" chant well before it was reported their might be a deal with Phoenix. You should have seen the look on the broadcasters faces when the pick was announced. :o Same with the Aldridge pick but to be fair, I had no heads up on the Roy trade/pick.

We have just been fortunate enough to have some good sources over the years.
@TBpup22
TBpup
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by TBpup » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Jason Quick was just on 'The Game' and reiterated some of his points from this morning.

I could kind of see the statements Kevin made coming. He desperately wants to keep his job and stay in Portland. He is very invested in the organization. To his credit, for 3 months he has kept mum but there was going to be a time he was going to take a stand and that just kind of came out yesterday. It seems he has wrestled with this for 3 months but now he is determined to fight for his job and try to keep it.

It's mind boggling that we are talking about KP possibly being let go and could go down as one of the worst decisions in the franchises' history. Pulling off the deadline move to get Camby, signing Miller, the two 2nd round picks who were significant contributors at times, the continued development of Batum who seems like a steal....he is coming off what could be his best year as a GM. Losing his job can not be performance related.

"May the best man win" is kind of a reference to what he has done and what he is trying to do at this draft. He feels like he is still being evaluated if not by the Blazers, by other clubs who might hire him. He is just saying, put your candidates track record up against mine.

I believe Pritchard has one more big deal up his sleeve that might be big enough to keep his job. I think he is out there trying to make this team better. Chad Ford commented how he was out there pounding the pavement and my intel says he is trying to pull off a trade. It would be an offer Paul Allen could not refuse.

Turning to other things, Greg Oden is still on schedule to go to training camp. He should be running in July and doing 2-on-2 scrimmages in August. He will train in both Columbus and in Portland. Nate met with Greg and he likes where Greg's head is at...that he is ready to go through the grind of the rehab and ready to tackle this again.

I think they may still start Marcus Camby at the beginning and bring Greg off the bench because Joel won't be ready.

Nate will start on the coaching vacancies in the beginning of July around the time of free agency.

Pretty similar to this morning but just put it up for those who missed it.
@TBpup22
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#19 » by Fitz303 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks TB...Thats been a tough part of moving out to the east coast. I dont get to hear any of the radio stuff anymore

I really hope KP pulls something great off. Its unfortunate how things have all gone down. He clearly loves the city, and love the team. On top of that, he has done a pretty good job. He has had his flaws, and he has had his moments of briliance. But hes better than most GMs, and he truly loves where he is. It would be tough to see him go.

I really hope that if hes making a BIG move, that its PF.. I like Aldridge, but if there is an impact position that could really use a big time player, its that spot. We need a beast down low
TBpup
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by TBpup » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Fitz303...95.5 The Game streams their shows. I listen to 'Wheels at Work' which has a lot of Blazer content on the computer everyday. Hopefully that is an option for you. It is on from 12-3 p.m. Pacific time. 6-9 a.m. (Pacific) also has quite a bit of Blazer talk if anything is brewing.
@TBpup22

Return to Portland Trail Blazers