Jeremy Lin signs with Golden State (Page 26)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Re: Jeremy Lin should make the NBA 

Post#461 » by Hangtime84 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:25 pm

tofu_camby wrote:The Raptors Off-Topic post about Lin got locked down by the mods because of supposed racism ... will this thread survive? :lol:

I have to admit that as an Asian, my interest in Lin stems solely from his ethnicity. I mean the kid has some game no doubt but really its about race for me. Not sure if that would offend anyone. To me it's like Canadian fans who like Joel Anthony because he hails from Montreal -- really, it's not about his game.

All jokes aside, this is an interesting cultural phenomenon and worth talking about. I'm sure most Asian-Americans basketball fans had a higher than average level of interest when Yao came to the league. But imagine if Lin had that level of talent. Would Lin's popularity in America amongst Asian-Americans beat the interest Yao received from Asian-Americans? Would Asians living in Asia care about Lin making the league?

I'm black and i would love to see another Asian star besides Yao Ming...
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
ylvn8
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#462 » by ylvn8 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Here is an example.
Parents' nationality: Singapore. Parents' ethinicity: Chinese
If their child's nationality is American, this child is Chinese American, or American Born Chinese. Sorry, he is not know as Singaporean American. It just does not work that way.

I understand some posters here born in Taiwan try really hard to differentiate their nationality from those born in Mainland China. But there is simply no way to deny your ethnicity, unless like the other poster pointed out, you are descendants of the aboriginal clans.
teamny1
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#463 » by teamny1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Man if someone wants to be Taiwanese, just let them consider themself Taiwanese. Geez can't believe there are 20+ pages about this, and not Jeremy Lin. Obviously there are tensions between Taiwanese and Chinese people. Just like there are tensions between Scottish and Irish and English people. If they don't want to be associated with whatever their ethnic origin is because of religious/political reasons, then let them be.

I just find it funny that Taiwanese and Chinese people are bickering about it, when in all honesty the rest of the world considers all Asians the same thing, right or wrong.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#464 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:56 pm

teamny1 wrote:Man if someone wants to be Taiwanese, just let them consider themself Taiwanese. Geez can't believe there are 20+ pages about this, and not Jeremy Lin. Obviously there are tensions between Taiwanese and Chinese people. Just like there are tensions between Scottish and Irish and English people. If they don't want to be associated with whatever their ethnic origin is because of religious/political reasons, then let them be.

I just find it funny that Taiwanese and Chinese people are bickering about it, when in all honesty the rest of the world considers all Asians the same thing, right or wrong.

We all look the same anyway.

But yeah, I agree with you. When people say, "I am -----", I don't think it specifically must mean ethnicity or citizenship, it's more or less general to what the person sees himself as. Just let it be, we're not going to end racism in this world in a Jeremy Lin RGM thread.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#465 » by hayden » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 pm

teamny1 wrote:Man if someone wants to be Taiwanese, just let them consider themself Taiwanese. Geez can't believe there are 20+ pages about this, and not Jeremy Lin. Obviously there are tensions between Taiwanese and Chinese people. Just like there are tensions between Scottish and Irish and English people. If they don't want to be associated with whatever their ethnic origin is because of religious/political reasons, then let them be.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

You can be ethnically Chinese and still claim to be Taiwanese. There is a distinction. In Lin's case, his parent's were born in Taiwan, so it is only natural for him to identify more with Taiwanese culture, thus it makes sense that he is being labeled by many as Taiwanese American. Of course, he is also Chinese by blood, but to pretend there is no difference is absurd.

However, that absurdity makes total sense once you understand how mainland China views itself and its relationship with Tibet and Taiwan... and to some extent, Hong Kong and even its own people.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#466 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:42 pm

You don't know that Lin identifies more with Taiwanese culture. He's never said anything about Taiwan or China, that's all speculation.

It's absurd that you think Chinese-Americans are 'commies' because we take pride in our nation, if not the government, or that we are somehow a proxy for the CCCP's policies and beliefs because we realize that 'Taiwanese-American' makes as much sense as calling someone a "South-Korean-American" or a "Northern-Irish-American."
Kariya
Rookie
And1: 13

Post#467 » by Kariya » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:44 pm

wtf, stop with this garbage... talk ball or gtfo.
Before I walked through life, now I frolic.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#468 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:45 pm

hayden wrote:...you are undoubtedly a "one China" commie who claims Taiwan, despite Taiwan maintaining a functional independence. What a joke. But I don't blame your type, who wouldn't want to claim Taiwan.

Remember this? XFD
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#469 » by mid-post » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm

IBTL
Reflexx
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#470 » by Reflexx » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Kariya wrote:wtf, stop with this garbage... talk ball or gtfo.

Agreed.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Warriors sign Jeremy Lin 

Post#471 » by NOODLESTYLE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 pm

He made the front page of the Warriors website and has his own interview.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/warrio ... multimedia
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Warriors sign Jeremy Lin? 

Post#472 » by ahonui06 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 pm

i_killed_kenny wrote:
ahonui06 wrote:You're right, although I'm not sure what "Hawaii is not about Pacific Islands + Asians against not them" means. People born and raised in Hawai'i tend to dislike "outsiders" as you put it when they bring a mainland mentality to Hawai'i. That being said, Asians here would love Lin.

I am born and raised from O'ahu and can tell you people in Hawaii don't like Californians.

what about midwesterners? i've been to hawaii a couple times and fell in love with the place. mainlanders say it gets boring fast because you cant just drive to another state but honestly... if you lived in hawaii why would you want to go anywhere else?

Honestly, local people here in Hawaii don't have a problem with anyone except for Californians.
ahonui06
Banned User

Post#473 » by ahonui06 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 pm

MigrainePatrol wrote:
ahonui06 wrote:You're right, although I'm not sure what "Hawaii is not about Pacific Islands + Asians against not them" means. People born and raised in Hawai'i tend to dislike "outsiders" as you put it when they bring a mainland mentality to Hawai'i. That being said, Asians here would love Lin.

I am born and raised from O'ahu and can tell you people in Hawaii don't like Californians.

Last time I checked East Palo Alto is in California. So what you said about Lin playing for a Hawaii NBA team kinds of contradicts itself when concerning fan reaction. I think most Asians in Hawaii do not concern themselves as being Chinese, Filipino, Samoan etc... So I don't think most would care about Lin the way mainland Asians would for the most part.

If you read my earlier post you would understand that I mentioned that if Hawaii had an NBA team, Lin would be in Heaven.

And yes, people in Hawaii use ethnicities to classify themselves. They don't identify themselves as a group such as Asian or White. They distinguish by ethnicities. And, I am sure the ethnic Chinese here would support Lin fully.

Btw Samoans aren't Asian.
AnDrOiDKing4
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#474 » by AnDrOiDKing4 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Lol at anyone thinking this is a basketball move.

All about sales and money for the Warriors.
Lamak wrote:His playstyle is very similar to Derrick Rose, but asian.
ahonui06
Banned User

Post#475 » by ahonui06 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Promezclan wrote:
ahonui06 wrote:
If Hawaii had a basketball team, Lin would be in Heaven.

Asian population of Bay Area: 1.53 million
Total population of Hawaii: 1.29 million
Asian population of Hawaii: 0.50 million

Touche. But, as a percentage, Asians are the majority in Hawaii. But, yes, after going to college in the Bay Area, Lin should get tons of support from the Asian community.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#476 » by 2011Champs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Does Don Nelson still hate rookies?
Good luck Jeremy Lin. Hope Big Nellie has changed.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#477 » by Joel Embust » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:05 pm

[quote="NOODLESTYLE"][/quote]

Another Lin thread from Chicken Noodles, are you his lover?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#478 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:08 pm

It's amazing how everyone hates on him even though I guarantee 99% of you have never seen him play 1 second of basketball.
ahonui06
Banned User

Post#479 » by ahonui06 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:It's amazing how everyone hates on him even though I guarantee 99% of you have never seen him play 1 second of basketball.

I think he can excel in the Warriors system. Maybe he can instill some defense in the Warrior guards. (Not just racking up steals numbers). Hopefully, Nelson will allow Lin some playing time, but we all know how much he hates playing rookies.
YounG_A
Starter
And1: 161

Post#480 » by YounG_A » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:11 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:It's amazing how everyone hates on him even though I guarantee 99% of you have never seen him play 1 second of basketball.

I've never seen him play so that's why I asked who he was :wink:

Return to The General Board