ImageImage

OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 pm

The blog of a certain poster on this site got me thinking about exercising/fitness/health. I have everything bought for P90X, and I know it is the new (maybe old now) craze. I have friends doing it, and have read up pretty extensively on the amount of time commitment and work it takes to really be successful on it. I was just wondering who is currently doing it, any tips, how you like the results, etc? Currently, I'd say I'm pretty in shape but nothing eye popping. My level of hitting the gym has gone down since having a child, but I usually still lift twice a week and probably run a total of 6 miles per week while playing in two volleyball leagues.

So is this ridiculously hard the entire way through? Or is it just getting through the initial parts? Any info would be appreciated.

I also thought we could use this thread for people that want to talk about their workouts, health plans, diet, whatever.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,260

Re: OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#2 » by Mags FTW » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:31 pm

I just wrestle wolverines.

But seriously, I cut soda and sugar drinks out of my diet a couple of months ago. And then started walking or running 3 miles a day depending on time and energy. I've lost about 15 lbs. so far.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#3 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 pm

But seriously, I cut soda and sugar drinks out of my diet a couple of months ago. And then started walking or running 3 miles a day depending on time and energy. I've lost about 15 lbs. so far.

I've been trying to cut out soda, but I hate the taste of coffee and I need caffeine, it's been a struggle. I usually just limit it to one per day. But yeah, that is some bad calories for sure.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#4 » by Newz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't know what P90X is, but I just started up dieting again this week to get in shape for upcoming basketball leagues this winter.

I just watch what I eat, lift 2-3 times a week, play ball once or twice a week, do a little cardio on the side and walk golf courses instead of ride them. That works pretty well.

It is pretty much impossible for me to put muscle on though... I get stronger, but I can never get bigger. I tried those damn muscle building drinks and everything... Damn arms stayed small and stomach just got bigger. :P

Being skinny sucks. :D
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#5 » by PedroGrande » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I just wrestle wolverines.

If it isn't indiscretion how much did you Weight and how much did you drink? I'm trying to erase something like that and cutting the liquid sugar that i drink right now would be my first step.
"Hope isn't a plan"
Newz
Banned User

Post#6 » by Newz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

I've been trying to cut out soda, but I hate the taste of coffee and I need caffeine, it's been a struggle. I usually just limit it to one per day. But yeah, that is some bad calories for sure.

Losing soda was the hardest thing for me too when I first started to try dieting stuff a few years ago.

If you just force yourself to drink water when you wake up, for all of your meals, etc. you eventually get used to it. It definitely sucks at first though. :(
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#7 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Newz wrote:I don't know what P90X is, but I just started up dieting again this week to get in shape for upcoming basketball leagues this winter.

I just watch what I eat, lift 2-3 times a week, play ball once or twice a week, do a little cardio on the side and walk golf courses instead of ride them. That works pretty well.

It is pretty much impossible for me to put muscle on though... I get stronger, but I can never get bigger. I tried those damn muscle building drinks and everything... Damn arms stayed small and stomach just got bigger. :P

Being skinny sucks. :D

Well, there is a lot of people who would hate you for saying that (being skinny sucks). I am somewhat the same though. I've had a ridiculous metabolism my entire life, ranging anywhere from 165 to now 185 at 6-4. I've been more focused on adding muscle and staying as toned as possible over losing weight, mainly to stay in shape for volleyball/basketball. That was where my interest in P90X came in. In terms of what it is:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitnes ... 0817193540

It's a combination weight/cardio/yoga and nutrition plan. I know people who have done it and it works with ridiculous results if you stick to it. For me, the time commitment will be the biggest challenge.

Of pro athletes that used it last season, I know Ray Allen and Stackhouse did, among others.
PedroGrande
Analyst

Post#8 » by PedroGrande » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Newz wrote:
Losing soda was the hardest thing for me too when I first started to try dieting stuff a few years ago.

If you just force yourself to drink water when you wake up, for all of your meals, etc. you eventually get used to it. It definitely sucks at first though. :(

Yep, when i eat at home its easy, but every time i go out to eat it will cost me. That and saying no to the beer lol
"Hope isn't a plan"
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#9 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

Today is my first day with no coffee, no soda, no caffeine.

I have a terrible migraine, like **** awful

I might have to drink half a dew just to get rid of my headache.

For caffeine fix, I hit up some green tea from time to time.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#10 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Yep, when i eat at home its easy, but every time i go out to eat it will cost me. That and saying no to the beer lol

Yeah well, there is no way in hell I'm giving that up. :D
Newz
Banned User

Post#11 » by Newz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:40 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Well, there is a lot of people who would hate you for saying that (being skinny sucks). I am somewhat the same though. I've had a ridiculous metabolism my entire life, ranging anywhere from 165 to now 185 at 6-4. I've been more focused on adding muscle and staying as toned as possible over losing weight, mainly to stay in shape for volleyball/basketball. That was where my interest in P90X came in. In terms of what it is:

It's a combination weight/cardio/yoga and nutrition plan. I know people who have done it and it works with ridiculous results if you stick to it. For me, the time commitment will be the biggest challenge.

Of pro athletes that used it last season, I know Ray Allen and Stackhouse did, among others.

I know a lot of people would hate me for saying that. :P I'm about 6'0" and I bounce from anywhere between 150-165. I used to lift 3-4 times a week and tried all different sorts of routines and plans... One I even stuck to for a year and I looked the exact same. My metabolism has just always been so crazy that it is hard to put on weight anywhere but in my stomach. (Mainly done by eating fatty food :P )

Trying to just do ab work and light weights now... Figured if I'm destined to be a stick figure, I might as well not fight it. :P

I'll have to check this thing out though, sounds like it would be interesting to try.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#12 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 pm

I'll have to check this thing out though, sounds like it would be interesting to try.

That is their official site, you can get it cheaper in other places. I burned mine from a friend who already had it, but I think amazon.com has it, among other places.
Newz
Banned User

Post#13 » by Newz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 pm

PedroGrande wrote:Yep, when i eat at home its easy, but every time i go out to eat it will cost me. That and saying no to the beer lol

I tried to drink **** like low cal/fat rum with diet coke and stuff...

Yeah, so I quit doing that after about a week. If you are going to get drunk, just get drunk. Don't look to save calories there. ;)
jamaica3
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#14 » by jamaica3 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:43 pm

I started P90X a few months ago. I was really into it for the first two weeks and felt great after doing it.

The issue is the time commitment like you mentioned. Each day, the videos are about an hour long.

Getting on a program like this is tough because if you miss a day, you feel like everything is in a funk and it's tough to get caught up.

I know for a fact it would have really helped had I pushed out the 90 days, but unless you're on a really consistent routine everyday, I wouldn't bother wasting the time.

Being a college kid made it tough to find that consistent daily routine, and it was tough to actually pump out an hour a day.
PedroGrande
Analyst

Post#15 » by PedroGrande » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Well, there is a lot of people who would hate you for saying that (being skinny sucks). I am somewhat the same though. I've had a ridiculous metabolism my entire life, ranging anywhere from 165 to now 185 at 6-4. I've been more focused on adding muscle and staying as toned as possible over losing weight, mainly to stay in shape for volleyball/basketball. That was where my interest in P90X came in. In terms of what it is:

I'm 6'4 and 203lbs. That is usually my top. I'm in the offseason of indoor soccer, but i need something extra during the year expecially to work on the upper body. Its not the weight that concerns me but the %of body fat.
"Hope isn't a plan"
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,260

Post#16 » by Mags FTW » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:46 pm

PedroGrande wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I just wrestle wolverines.

If it isn't indiscretion how much did you Weight and how much did you drink? I'm trying to erase something like that and cutting the liquid sugar that i drink right now would be my first step.

I didn't know my true starting weight because I stopped weighng myself around 240. Last time I weighed myself a couple of weeks ago I was 219.

Used to drink a 2-liter a day. No joke.
Newz
Banned User

Post#17 » by Newz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:46 pm

My routine isn't very intense like this P90X thing, though I tried something like that before. I just do a couple of lifts now, some pull-up/chin-ups, push-ups and sit-ups.

Do that 3-4 times a week, all I have time for unfortunately. :(
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#18 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:47 pm

I know for a fact it would have really helped had I pushed out the 90 days, but unless you're on a really consistent routine everyday, I wouldn't bother wasting the time.

That is what I've heard. My issue is I work 7:00-5:30 Mon-Thu, then I watch my daughter 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM Friday, so I can't really work out in the morning unless I want to get up ridiculously early (and I can't lift at 5:00 AM, too tired/not enough energy). Will have to really get motivated to work out after dinner if I'm going to do this.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#19 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:50 pm

I have done 2 rounds of P90X and it works great. Lost some weight and am in the best shape of my life. Now I have some of Tony's 1 on 1 workouts that I rotate in to keep things fresh. I Have his "Just Arms", "Diamond Delts", "Medicine Ball Core Cardio", "30-15 (30 various types of pushups, followed by 15 various types of pullups X12. Killer).

The bottom line with workout programs is whatever gets you motivated is the right program. For some it's joining a gym, for some it's a home program like this. What works for one doesn't work for someone else.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jamaica3
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#20 » by jamaica3 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

That is what I've heard. My issue is I work 7:00-5:30 Mon-Thu, then I watch my daughter 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM Friday, so I can't really work out in the morning unless I want to get up ridiculously early (and I can't lift at 5:00 AM, too tired/not enough energy). Will have to really get motivated to work out after dinner if I'm going to do this.

That's exactly it.

If you can find it in you to get up and do it in the morning, you could easily do 90 days.

But unless you're an absolute health nut, there will always be those days where you're just way too tired to come home from a long day and workout for the hour+ it requires to do P90X.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks