Ovechkin vs Crosby

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Ovechkin vs Crosby 

Post#1 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:51 pm

Who would you want on your team if you could only choose one. and why.

(I'll be back after my work meeting to drop my dos centavos)
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#2 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:32 pm

Last year I would have chosen Ovechkin

But now I hafta go with Crosby. Right now I firmly believe he is the best player in the league (don't get that confused with the MVP though). Plus he's only 19 and will only get better.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,785

Post#3 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:57 pm

What good would the player comparison board be without a Crosby vs Ovechkin thread. ;)

I'd take Crosby. Ovechkin is more skilled and is definately a better goal scorer but Crosby posseses that rare ability to be at the right place at the right time on the ice. Crosby may have the highest hockey IQ in the NHL already, at age 19. He makes the teammates around him better by getting them the puck where they are most effective, finding the open space on the ice to allow them an easy pass and when it comes to the powerplay, nobody, and I mean nobody, knows how to utilize the extra space like Crosby. He fakes players out with his mind, and I hate to make the comparison to the Great One but it is his uncanny ability to out think his opponents that makes Crosby an easy comparison to Gretzky. Ovechkin is most effective with the puck in his hands but Crosby is just as effective with or without the puck. He is the best positional player in the NHL and he just knows what it takes to win hockey games. Ovechkin to the casual fan will always be more fun to watch but those true hockey fans out there, Crosby is the most beautiful player I've seen in a long time. I dont think anyone can disagree that if you're building an NHL franchise, there is no other player in the world that you'd want as your 1st line center than Sid the Kid Crosby. Oh, and he's also Canadian, he KNOWS the game of Hockey.
Go Raps!!
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#4 » by timd1218 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:58 pm

Lol, Another one.

Crosby.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by Andrea>Dirk » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:35 pm

Agreed with he huge paragraph.
Crosby for sure, because he does so much more for a team than score
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#6 » by moose man » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:38 pm

Crosby for all the reasons stated above. He makes everyone around him better and he doesn't have to score to do that.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:40 pm

I dont even have to think about this one, Crosby easily.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Post#8 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:08 pm

Crosby but RoyceDa59 I disagree with Crosby having the highest IQ in the league, Lidstrom, Sakic, Thornton, Vinny L, Spezza, Brouder and even Pronger should be considered
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#9 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:51 am

Finally, everybody crosses to the dark side. I'd take Crosby, and did last year as well.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#10 » by Snayr » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:52 am

Crowned wrote:Finally, everybody crosses to the dark side. I'd take Crosby, and did last year as well.

Likewise, I was always a huge Crosby supporter from the get go. Even with a supporting cast of good players, Crosby has shown he can produce and play with the poise of a veteran (but not forgetting his tendency to retaliate at times) Where as Ovechkin has tailed off a bit this year with the presence of Semin. Obviously they are both going to be huge superstars in this league for years to come.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#11 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:55 am

Ovechkin

Look who Crosby is playing with Malkin, Staal, Whitney, Gonchar.

Malkin adn staal are top 2 draft picks. Of course crosby will get points he is playing with people that can score.

Now Ovechkin has Novotny plus Semin. So his 40+ goals by himself. WHich lineup will get mor epoints?
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by timd1218 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:30 am

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:Ovechkin

Look who Crosby is playing with Malkin, Staal, Whitney, Gonchar.

Malkin adn staal are top 2 draft picks. Of course crosby will get points he is playing with people that can score.

Now Ovechkin has Novotny plus Semin. So his 40+ goals by himself. WHich lineup will get mor epoints?

I agree to a certain extent as to who Ovechkin plays with, but did you ever think Crosby is making Staal, Malkin, Gonchar and Whitney better?
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Post#13 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:18 pm

timd1218 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree to a certain extent as to who Ovechkin plays with, but did you ever think Crosby is making Staal, Malkin, Gonchar and Whitney better?

Got to agree here, the best player will make his linmates better then they really are. Look at what Gretzky did for countless others and same could be said for guys like Adam Oates, Yzerman and alot of others.

Crosby is very Gretzky-esque by reading the play before it happens, just has a sick sense for finding teamates, I have to admit I thought he was too small and was going to get pushed around but he has suprised me alot this and last year.

He's is going ot have one hell of a career not taking anything away from Ovechkin in anyway but Crosby is more of a complete player.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#14 » by BROWN » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:16 am

Crosby
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#15 » by Southward1 » Mon Apr 9, 2007 2:41 pm

Ovechkin hasn't played with a single even solid second line centre yet. I'm going to reserve by judgement until next year when Backstrom comes over from Swedan to play with Alex.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#16 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:53 am

Well sure Crosby might help them but Stall had to make it to the Pens lineup in training camp and im pretty sure did not practice wiht Crosby.

There have been many great assits by crosby but some assits he made a nice 2 line pass and have MAlkin or Stall with a sweet finish.

PLus I dont think if you are drafted 2nd overall that you are only supposed to be solid. You are supposed to be elite. SO Crsoby maximizes there potential but Stall and Malkin is like way way way up there and novotny and zubrus are so much farther down.

Its a shame Ovechkin will be remembered as a great player when its all said and done he wont win anything unless its as an old player who does not do much. But he will always been a could have been. If he had a real playmaker I think he can get 60 goals.

Quote me on that one
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by timd1218 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:50 am

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:Well sure Crosby might help them but Stall had to make it to the Pens lineup in training camp and im pretty sure did not practice wiht Crosby.

There have been many great assits by crosby but some assits he made a nice 2 line pass and have MAlkin or Stall with a sweet finish.

PLus I dont think if you are drafted 2nd overall that you are only supposed to be solid. You are supposed to be elite. SO Crsoby maximizes there potential but Stall and Malkin is like way way way up there and novotny and zubrus are so much farther down.

Its a shame Ovechkin will be remembered as a great player when its all said and done he wont win anything unless its as an old player who does not do much. But he will always been a could have been. If he had a real playmaker I think he can get 60 goals.

Quote me on that one

Staal didn't have that good of a training camp. The only reason the Pens kept him was because he was able to play 9 games without hurting his contract situation.

When you have a player like Sidney Crosby and you are just as young, if not younger, he takes all of that pressure off of you. Malkin and Staal would not have had this much success if not for Crosby. You can't prove it, but I would put any money on it.

Ovechkin is on a line with Semin. Next season, he will be playing with Backstrom. When Crosby still has a better season, there should not be any excuse. If Ovechkin is better then Crosby, he should make Backstrom have a better season as a Rookie.
NeverGoingToWin
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#18 » by NeverGoingToWin » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:21 am

Oveckhin is the better gamebreaker and I would want him on my team if I had to pick one.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#19 » by TNBT » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Ovechkin
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#20 » by evilRyu » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:06 pm

Crosby

Return to Player Comparisons