Joe D Q&A

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Joe D Q&A 

Post#1 » by Todd3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 am

I found this on KL's twitter -

"In Thursday's Part II, Joe D on trade talks: "In the last five or six days, the phone calls have picked up." Urgency to trade? "Absolutely"

Three-part conversation to roll out by Friday. Included: Joe D talks about 2 players who teams ask often about in trade." - KL

I hope all this sudden trade talk is true, it just seems fishy, that all of a sudden this is all coming out at the exact time the public was questioned why the Pistons weren't doing anything.

You would think if he did have trades in the balance, he wouldn't be out talking about them until they were completed.

Also, those 2 players he's going to talk about getting the most calls on, why would he announce their names to the media that they might be traded? Usually GM's dont want their players playing with that on their minds.

idk, I hope its true, but we've heard this line before and nothings happened.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Re: Joe D Q&A 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:49 am

Today is December 15. Which is the unofficial "official" start of the trading season. As of today, all newly signed players last summer are allowed to be traded.

This is why the trade chatter has been amped up leaguewide in the last couple days. Now its open season.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,358

Post#3 » by Spider156 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 am

You just raised a little hope in me. I don't like that. I choose to stay patient.
Defense wins championships
Todd3
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Todd3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 am

thesack12 wrote:Today is December 15. Which is the unofficial "official" start of the trading season. As of today, all newly signed players last summer are allowed to be traded.

This is why the trade chatter has been amped up leaguewide in the last couple days. Now its open season.

Great point. I forgot about that. This means Bynum can be traded now. I think the Knicks are looking for a backup PG. Maybe Bynum for Randolph?
motorcity15
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#5 » by motorcity15 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:00 am

Todd3 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Today is December 15. Which is the unofficial "official" start of the trading season. As of today, all newly signed players last summer are allowed to be traded.

Great point. I forgot about that. This means Bynum can be traded now. I think the Knicks are looking for a backup PG. Maybe Bynum for Randolph?

Dnt think they would want Bynum, they got Tony Douglas who is pretty much the same player
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#6 » by dVs33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:10 am

All this "Joe D is close to a trade" talk is getting me slightly excited, and when I get slightly excited when it comes to Pistons, I am continuously let down... sooooooooo I don;t have my hopes up right now..... but I'm still mildly excited. hahaha:D
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#7 » by Liqourish » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I bet the two names everyone is asking about are Tayshaun Prince and Greg Monroe. Tay has a big expiring contract that will help any team needing to shed salary. And Monroe is a young big man with a great skillset on a rookie contract.

I highly doubt anyone is asking about Rip. I just don't see it.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,358

Post#8 » by Spider156 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Guys don't get your hopes up. Dumars is just trying to get the one-two more fans out there. I'm gonna stay pessimistic about this until I see some real work being done. But I just want to say this...Dumars knows the managing too much to go on the media and say we've got a couple of trades on our sides. That causes problems and he hates that. So what I'm thinking is that there really are trades out there. But, there's still the reason of "Nothing out there was going to make us better."
Defense wins championships
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#9 » by Piston Pete » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Liqourish wrote:I bet the two names everyone is asking about are Tayshaun Prince and Greg Monroe. Tay has a big expiring contract that will help any team needing to shed salary. And Monroe is a young big man with a great skillset on a rookie contract.

I highly doubt anyone is asking about Rip. I just don't see it.

I'm thinking Tay and T-Mac.

Can't picture why any team would even bother calling to inquiring on Monroe as this stage....
Sort
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#10 » by Sort » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Monroe? No way. His arc for the year is going to place him as one of the best rookies and most promising bigs in a while. He's not a superstar by any means, but when that's the biggest knock on you, you're doing great as a rookie.

Dumars has to make some moves most likely just to save his own job, because right now, if I was the incoming owner, it's obvious to me that Dumars has done a poor job at not only rebuilding, but making a team that's fun to watch.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#11 » by qm22 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:49 pm

If the phone calls picked up recently than it points to TMac, who just recently showed himself to have his old abilities, which is quite valuable to have on a bench. If I were a contender I would want him immediately... I kind of think trading him may be a wise move for the future but I don't want to give up TMac. I think Ben Wallace is a candidate too... He has been great for 20 mpg, so for the same reasons he would be sought after.

The other candidate is probably Tay--expiring contract and value as a player for one season. After TMac and Tay the only thing other teams would be likely to want are Stuckey and Monroe, which the Pistons probably have off the table unless there is a major upside being offered.
FroJoeNoRip
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#12 » by FroJoeNoRip » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm curious to see what players other teams actually want. if it's one of rip, prince, gordon, max, or CV and joe hasn't pulled the trigger on one i'm gonna flip. we need a shakeup of epic proportions.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#13 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Just about every team that is struggling has fans asking why they haven't done anything. It is alot more complicated than it seems to make changes within an organization. You don't go around firing people and trading assets while encountering adversity. Sometimes, it takes a long time to make those changes, sometimes over a year.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Chaosmonger
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Chaosmonger » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:32 pm

I wonder if some of this wasn't spurred on by Magic's comments on that Homecoming special. He knows Magic could be a possible owner and to hear him call the current team "soft" can't be good for Dumars' future job security.
Todd3
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Todd3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:12 pm

qm22 wrote: After TMac and Tay the only thing other teams would be likely to want are Stuckey and Monroe, which the Pistons probably have off the table unless there is a major upside being offered.

Monroe yes, but as for Stuckey only 1 of 2 things are going to happen with him. He is either going to be re-signed or traded.

Letting him walk for nothing would be an epic disaster.

Right now I would lean more towards him being re-signed then traded, but he certainly hasn't locked up any long term deals yet in my mind. If he doesn't prove he can be consistent by february, trading him might be the only option.

And, IMO, he is the most valuable piece we have to the other teams.

At worst, if we dont re-sign him, we need to get at least a 1st round pick for him.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#16 » by mercury » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#17 » by Joe Berry » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:53 pm

dumba$$ Keith hasn't asked one question about the ownership situation, because i think Dumars is talkin $hit, and isn't allowed to do anything right now
beau
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#18 » by beau » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:07 am

Two players that teams call about the most? Yeah... Rip wont be in that discussion!!

Those two players, obviously, will have positive trade value. I can think of 4 players on our team that have the most positive value.

Tay
Daye
Stuckey
Monroe

The value of each is debatable and depends on many factors. If Rip isnt moved, Stuckey is as good as gone and teams know this. There is NO way Joe is allowed to extend Stuck at market value, 8-10 mill per year, while having 2 other shooting guards making 10+ mill per year on this team. We better move RIp or bg, or Stuck is GONE!
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#19 » by Piston Pete » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:03 pm

Here's part 3; http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/dumars_101217.html

Interesting tidbit:

Charlie is a young guy in his mid 20s. I can say this – without going into a whole lot of detail – he has tremendous value around the league with other teams calling.

MAKE THE DEAL DUMARS!! Make all the vets available!!!
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#20 » by triplet1984 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Let me tell you this... if he has "tremendous value" and Dumars is the one not biting on decent trades for him, because he likes what CV brings to the table, then I don't know what to say.

No defense chuckers who can't rebound are not who we need in the front-court.

About Ben Gordon:

JD: There’s no question to me that he’s a heck of a player. It just manifested itself here at this point, but I don’t doubt the kid at all. He just hasn’t found his niche here in Detroit yet, but in terms of him as a player, the kid’s a heck of a player. Charlie has probably turned the corner a little bit more than him, but Charlie’s at a position where we don’t have a dominant scorer like Rip has been for so long for us here. So the transition is probably a little easier for Charlie than it has been for Ben, but we’ll figure it out – he’ll figure it out. The kid’s still a heck of a good player and another player that has real good value around this league.

Nice sidestep of the real issue here. Rip Hamilton.

And if everyone has such tremendous value....... why haven't we made any moves?

Return to Detroit Pistons