Starter
And1: 473

The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#1 » by Jay81 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 5:17 am

I will delete this thread once he

1) gets rid of the medical staff
2) gets rid of Ernie
3) and gets rid of Flip

until then..he is a bad owner of the Wizards. Enjoy the ketchup though!
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#2 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 5:59 am

I nominate this as the dumbest thread ever.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#3 » by JonathanJoseph » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:58 am

Ridiculous
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#4 » by fishercob » Thu Dec 9, 2010 7:22 am

Ji, have a nice day.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#5 » by TGW » Thu Dec 9, 2010 1:44 pm

fishercob wrote:Ji, eat a dick.

:lol:
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#6 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Dec 9, 2010 2:07 pm

booo this thread
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Post#7 » by Silvie Lysandra » Thu Dec 9, 2010 2:29 pm

it bothers me that tapscott is still in the Wizards organization.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#8 » by DallasShalDune » Thu Dec 9, 2010 3:49 pm

This is insane. Did anyone expect us to be even a .500 year team this year?
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#9 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Dec 9, 2010 4:24 pm

I would have preferred that Ted fire the moron who created the mess we were in last year but the #1 pick bailed out Ernie big time.

Ernie isn't held accountable for his stupid decisions enough. But I'll trust what Leonsis is doing. Eventually he will start to realize how big of a moron his GM is.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#10 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Dec 9, 2010 4:26 pm

OK - we (the mod community here) like to mod gently. So this can stay.

But Ji...this thread is not your finest moment.

(And how about you check into the weather thread to update us on the chances of snow this weekend).
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#11 » by tontoz » Thu Dec 9, 2010 4:40 pm

Wizards2Lottery wrote:I would have preferred that Ted fire the moron who created the mess we were in last year but the #1 pick bailed out Ernie big time.

Ernie isn't held accountable for his stupid decisions enough. But I'll trust what Leonsis is doing. Eventually he will start to realize how big of a moron his GM is.

Now that you mention it i think it would be a good idea to give a call to Kevin Pritchard. He was the best GM in the league during his time in Portland. I have no clue why he got canned.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#12 » by AceDegenerate » Thu Dec 9, 2010 4:42 pm

It seems to make all too much sense that Pritchard is exactly the type of GM for an owner like Leonsis who's entire philosophy is built around stock-piling young talent. I don't know why he was canned either so there is probably way more to it than meets the eye, but Grunfeld is certainly the type of GM I would envision Ted hiring had he not already had the job before the ownership change happened.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#13 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Dec 9, 2010 4:57 pm

tontoz wrote:
Wizards2Lottery wrote:I would have preferred that Ted fire the moron who created the mess we were in last year but the #1 pick bailed out Ernie big time.

Now that you mention it i think it would be a good idea to give a call to Kevin Pritchard. He was the best GM in the league during his time in Portland. I have no clue why he got canned.

As long as it isn't Ernie. The guy has done nothing in his tenure as a GM over here to prove that he is capable of building a team that can be competitive in the playoffs and advance out of the first round. The "best" team that he put together ended up being dismantled half way through the season. He traded a top 5 pick for two guys who aren't even on the roster anymore.

I wish I sucked so bad at my job that I cost my company a fortune but instead of firing me they had me fix that mess with 100% backing.
thinker07
Junior
And1: 75

Post#14 » by thinker07 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 5:22 pm

I don't how anyone can blame Ernie for everything. He works within certain parameters and guidelines. When ownership tells him to keep Gilbert happy and insure that he signs a contract extension, I guess he drafts and signs free agents around that strategy. If the team belonged to Ernie I don't know that he would have decided to build a team around Gilbert and then sign him to his massive contract. Gilbert wants Deshawn - sign him. Gilbert wants Jamison - sign him. And so on. Before last year, Abe was on his last legs and wanted one last run for a championship so he told Ernie to go for that strategy. In that scenario it maybe makes sense to trade the #5 pick for Foye and Miller. Again, if Ernie owned the team I doubt that he would have made that deal. I don't think that it's Ernie's fault that Gilbert did what he did (or got hurt prior to that either). Once adopted Dad Abe says sign him, that deal was done.

And some decisions make sense at the time but just don't work out well. That doesn't make them bad decisions necessarily.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter

Post#15 » by Silvie Lysandra » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:33 am

Bumping this thread, because while it is the first year of a rebuilding effort, there are several things that seriously cause one to question whether this guy is the great hope for this organization. The most troubling thing to me is how Ted has seemingly retained much, if not all of the status quo ante we had with Abe. Same coach. Same GM. Same medical staff. Same "director of player development".

Contrast with what Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen did in Ashburn. Yes, they made some errors. But, the one thing you cannot say they have done is retain a failed status quo - they cut over 10 players (players that might have helped them win a game or two more this season, like ARE who has had a mini-resurgence back in Pittsburgh), they got rid of a QB that may have been a decent transitional guy but represented half a decade of failure, and was a poor leader, they blew up the defense without regard to what we did before, and we held guys like Haynesworth accountable (while refusing to give up on taming him until the very last).

When something does not work, you don't keep going with it in the hopes that they'll get it right THIS time. You get rid of it and bring in something that does not work? How would you have reacted if Shanny had kept Blache as DC, and Smith as OC? Campbell at QB? Vinny in a lower FO capacity? Think about it?

You can't talk about rebuilding with new players without undergoing an organizational rebuild. We still have the same organization we did last year for the most part.

If this continues, Shanahan's Redskins WILL win a Super Bowl before Leonsis's Wizards win an NBA championshp, because Shanahan has come in and not only changed the status quo, he exploded it. Leonsis, for the very most part, has stuck with the status quo.

Now, Leonsis is a good owner, and he has shown he can preside over a quality organization. But he has to be more proactive in making organizational change in order to achieve his goals.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#16 » by WashWiz54 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:10 am

This coming offseason I feel is when Ted is going to make this "his" team. Buying an NBA franchise is a lot of work and with that comes getting a feel of how things run. It was probably his intention from the break to keep things status quo for a full season then evaluate everything at seasons end.

Ted is doing this right and I'd rather it take awhile to be done the right way instead of being rushed and set us back years.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#17 » by verbal8 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:If this continues, Shanahan's Redskins WILL win a Super Bowl before Leonsis's Wizards win an NBA championshp, because Shanahan has come in and not only changed the status quo, he exploded it. Leonsis, for the very most part, has stuck with the status quo.

Now, Leonsis is a good owner, and he has shown he can preside over a quality organization. But he has to be more proactive in making organizational change in order to achieve his goals.

I agree that the Redskins have made more of an "organizational change" than the Wizards. However I think the Wizards are ahead in terms of building a championship team. Both teams suffer from a shortage of talent. However the Wizards talented players are generally the youngest. The best players on the Redskins for the most part are the older vets(McNabb, Fletcher and Moss). Landry, Orkapo, Trent Williams and Banks are the only guys I would count as a "young core" for the Skins.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#18 » by fishercob » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:38 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:Bumping this thread, because while it is the first year of a rebuilding effort, there are several things that seriously cause one to question whether this guy is the great hope for this organization. The most troubling thing to me is how Ted has seemingly retained much, if not all of the status quo ante we had with Abe. Same coach. Same GM. Same medical staff. Same "director of player development".

Contrast with what Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen did in Ashburn. Yes, they made some errors. But, the one thing you cannot say they have done is retain a failed status quo - they cut over 10 players (players that might have helped them win a game or two more this season, like ARE who has had a mini-resurgence back in Pittsburgh), they got rid of a QB that may have been a decent transitional guy but represented half a decade of failure, and was a poor leader, they blew up the defense without regard to what we did before, and we held guys like Haynesworth accountable (while refusing to give up on taming him until the very last).

When something does not work, you don't keep going with it in the hopes that they'll get it right THIS time. You get rid of it and bring in something that does not work? How would you have reacted if Shanny had kept Blache as DC, and Smith as OC? Campbell at QB? Vinny in a lower FO capacity? Think about it?

You can't talk about rebuilding with new players without undergoing an organizational rebuild. We still have the same organization we did last year for the most part.

If this continues, Shanahan's Redskins WILL win a Super Bowl before Leonsis's Wizards win an NBA championshp, because Shanahan has come in and not only changed the status quo, he exploded it. Leonsis, for the very most part, has stuck with the status quo.

Dude, we're 20 friggin games in to his ownership tenure. Give it a little bit of time. I think Ted knows just a wee bit about building successful organizations.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Silvie Lysandra
Starter

Post#19 » by Silvie Lysandra » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:47 pm

The changes that needed to be made are irrelevant to the amount of regular season games we've played.

Shanahan didn't need a *single* regular season game to begin making the major changes needed to win. He got rid of most of the people who failed before, and gave everyone else a chance to succeed under his system.

Probably, EG has acquitted himself well this offseason, but at the very least, Ted could have replaced the **** MEDICAL STAFF.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#20 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:09 pm

This might all be irrelevant if Mr Business of Happiness jumps off the roof of the Phone Booth.

I mean, 13 straight losses for his two franchises... Maybe he chooses an evening at the Kennedy Center instead of courtside seats for the next game. Happiness indeed.

Can someone please email him Kevin Pritchard's contact information?
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards