ImageImage

Are Blazers Shooting into the Lottery?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Are Blazers Shooting into the Lottery? 

Post#1 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I ask the question as the season long discussion about the Blazer shooting issues grows louder and the trade rumors swirl

I looked at how the Blazers rank compared to the rest of the league in shooting percentages and where they ranked in the group of the 14 worst teams as far as shooting to see if there is a correlation between poor shooting and losing

FG%

17 Oklahoma City Thunder .454
18 Los Angeles Clippers .454
19 Philadelphia 76ers .454
20 Golden State Warriors .454
21 Charlotte Bobcats .452
22 Detroit Pistons .448
23 Minnesota Timberwolves .441
24 Washington Wizards .439
25 Portland Trail Blazers .437
26 Sacramento Kings .437
27 Indiana Pacers .435
28 New Jersey Nets .434
29 Cleveland Cavaliers .425
30 Milwaukee Bucks .418

3pt%:

17 Indiana Pacers .353
18 Utah Jazz .347
19 Chicago Bulls .347
20 Milwaukee Bucks .344
21 Philadelphia 76ers .344
22 Sacramento Kings .341
23 Washington Wizards .340
24 Memphis Grizzlies .338
25 New Jersey Nets .337
26 Cleveland Cavaliers .334
27 Los Angeles Clippers .330
28 Toronto Raptors .329
29 Oklahoma City Thunder.327
30 Portland Trail Blazers .326

eFG%:

17 New Orleans Hornets .490
18 Charlotte Bobcats .488
19 Detroit Pistons .486
20 Philadelphia 76ers .486
21 Memphis Grizzlies .485
22 Oklahoma City Thunder .485
23 Minnesota Timberwolves .483
24 Indiana Pacers .483
25 Washington Wizards .473
26 Portland Trail Blazers .473
27 Sacramento Kings .470
28 New Jersey Nets .466
29 Cleveland Cavaliers .464
30 Milwaukee Bucks .452

TS%:

17 New Orleans 53.5
18 Charlotte 53.2
19 LA Clippers 53.0
20 Philadelphia 53.0
21 Minnesota 52.7
22 Memphis 52.5
23 Detroit 52.4
24 Indiana 52.3
25 Portland 51.9
26 Washington 51.8
27 New Jersey 51.5
28 Sacramento 50.8
18 Cleveland 50.8
30 Milwaukee 50.3

anybody else see a trend here? What I see is that with very few exceptions, the worst teams, the 14 lottery teams, also rank as the worst shooting teams. The playoff teams are the better shooting teams,

The two aberrations are OKC and Phoenix. We know why the Suns are towards the top of the league in shooting but have a losing record: they are horrible on the boards and horrible defensively, but have a team of good shooters

And OKC has Durant and Westbrook as well as plays good defense. Having a top-10 or top-5 player will offset generally poor team shooting, especially when the team ranks 2nd in FT attempts

The only other playoff team that makes an appearance, barely, at 17, is New Orleans. But again, having the best PG in the game offsets average shooting.

Now, it's possible those rankings are as much effect as cause. The better teams have better talent and better talent likely equals better shooting opportunities.

But the Blazers rank so poorly in all those shooting categories that heading towards the playoffs for them will be like trying to advance against gale-force wind.

(by the way, while portland ranks shamefully last in 3pt percentage, they aren't shy about pulling the trigger: they rank 13th in 3pt attempts. At least OKC has the good sense to jack up 3 less attempts a game)

So, all this makes me wonder if Portland's shooting woes shouldn't be a controlling factor in their trade targets. It's the main reason I have reservations about adding Devin Harris. He's a below average shoooter, even compared to the low Blazer standards. They sure as hell shouldn't give up much for him, but it does make accepting Harrington as the price of adding Harris a little more attractive. Harrington at least is a decent shooter, although I really doubt portland will accept his contract

I also wonder if the desire for adding another big is misplaced, especially one that doesn't come with an offensive game

and finally, I guess you have to question advisability of players like Batum (30.7%) and Mills (31.7%) taking 3 pt shots, even if the offense generates open looks for them. And that in turn leads to the question of it it makes it easier to accept them being traded.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Re: Are Blazers Shooting into the Lottery? 

Post#2 » by PDX MM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm

When talking about our poor shooting % we should mention our ability to offensive rebound and that has been a key in keeping us in so many of these games. Camby really helps to offset the low % and if/when he is traded I do see us heading straight to the bottom part of the league record wise.

One of the reasons I keep harping for a motion style of offense and a more up tempo beat is to get more easy baskets. Even though we are a poor outside shooting team that is where we live and die but even if we did both of those things right now it would not help all that much. The talent on this team is not that good. Too many holes to fill and it will take time to fill them.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#3 » by cucad8 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:59 pm

I wonder if going after Harris is an attempt at finding someone with similar-ish skills to Roy, in penetrating and playmaking, to potentially help the three point shooting. Well, not just for that reason. But partially. Yes, we lost shooters in Outlaw and Blake. But look at Outlaw, he is shooting 31% this year from 3. Is that an anomaly? Or was he greatly aided by wide open corner threes off of penetration? That seems to be a 3 we do not take as often as we used to. I could easily be wrong, but it seems like we get a lot more threes from the angle, or top of the key than we ever used to. Product of the offense, as well as not having Roy, or a play maker like that in the game.

Not to say Miller isn't a playmaker, but just in a different way. Basically not the penetrate and kick. I'd love a hybrid of the two, with great shooting to boot, but really, what team wouldn't. Matthews is a good shooter. So is Batum. So is Rudy. We have 3 point threats. And they get open looks. I would think a lot would be the position of the looks? And maybe Harris helps that some.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#4 » by JD45 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:13 pm

I think the Blazers should not pick up Harris because they need to rebuild, and he is 27, injury prone and relies on quickness. So he likely is only looking at 4 or so more good years.

But, I think Harris would help the Blazers shoot better. His percentages aren't that great, but his TS% is 55.4, which is much better than the Blazers. Better than LMA, Rudy or Miller. I am sure Nate would love him because he is an excellent isolation player. He is so quick with the ball, he doesn't even need a screen to beat his man.

The Blazers would be better with Harris, but still not good enough.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#5 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm

cucad8 wrote:I wonder if going after Harris is an attempt at finding someone with similar-ish skills to Roy, in penetrating and playmaking, to potentially help the three point shooting. Well, not just for that reason. But partially. Yes, we lost shooters in Outlaw and Blake. But look at Outlaw, he is shooting 31% this year from 3. Is that an anomaly? Or was he greatly aided by wide open corner threes off of penetration? That seems to be a 3 we do not take as often as we used to. I could easily be wrong, but it seems like we get a lot more threes from the angle, or top of the key than we ever used to. Product of the offense, as well as not having Roy, or a play maker like that in the game.

Not to say Miller isn't a playmaker, but just in a different way. Basically not the penetrate and kick. I'd love a hybrid of the two, with great shooting to boot, but really, what team wouldn't. Matthews is a good shooter. So is Batum. So is Rudy. We have 3 point threats. And they get open looks. I would think a lot would be the position of the looks? And maybe Harris helps that some.

good points, and that very well may be the thinking if it's actually the case the Blazers are pursuing Harris

I do believe the absence of Roy's game has really affected Batum. His 3pt percentage has really cratered this year. Some of that is very likely do to his shoulder problems, but Roy was excellent at creating opportunities for corner 3's and finding the open players in good rhythm. Those corner 3's are the highest percentage 3pt shots, and in years past, the Blazers were quite good at making those shots. Blake, Outlaw, Batum, and Webster made livings there.

as far as Outlaw, I knew he was going to have a season like this as soon as the Nets started talking about him as a SF. In those last years in portland, the difference in his numbers between playing SF and PF was like night and day. He was always pretty bad as a SF, but posted pretty good numbers as a PF, especially on the offensive end. In 08/09 his PER as a SF was 14.0 while as a PF it was 23.0. In 09/10 the SF PER was 7.6 while the PF PER was 19.1. Even this season in NJ his PER, SF vs PF, is 8.3 vs 18.8. Outlaw is no SF. His only advantages are when he's playing PF
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,399

Post#6 » by Blazinaway » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I ask the question as the season long discussion about the Blazer shooting issues grows louder and the trade rumors swirl

I looked at how the Blazers rank compared to the rest of the league in shooting percentages and where they ranked in the group of the 14 worst teams as far as shooting to see if there is a correlation between poor shooting and losing

FG%

17 Oklahoma City Thunder .454
18 Los Angeles Clippers .454
19 Philadelphia 76ers .454
20 Golden State Warriors .454
21 Charlotte Bobcats .452
22 Detroit Pistons .448
23 Minnesota Timberwolves .441
24 Washington Wizards .439
25 Portland Trail Blazers .437
26 Sacramento Kings .437
27 Indiana Pacers .435
28 New Jersey Nets .434
29 Cleveland Cavaliers .425
30 Milwaukee Bucks .418

3pt%:

17 Indiana Pacers .353
18 Utah Jazz .347
19 Chicago Bulls .347
20 Milwaukee Bucks .344
21 Philadelphia 76ers .344
22 Sacramento Kings .341
23 Washington Wizards .340
24 Memphis Grizzlies .338
25 New Jersey Nets .337
26 Cleveland Cavaliers .334
27 Los Angeles Clippers .330
28 Toronto Raptors .329
29 Oklahoma City Thunder.327
30 Portland Trail Blazers .326

eFG%:

17 New Orleans Hornets .490
18 Charlotte Bobcats .488
19 Detroit Pistons .486
20 Philadelphia 76ers .486
21 Memphis Grizzlies .485
22 Oklahoma City Thunder .485
23 Minnesota Timberwolves .483
24 Indiana Pacers .483
25 Washington Wizards .473
26 Portland Trail Blazers .473
27 Sacramento Kings .470
28 New Jersey Nets .466
29 Cleveland Cavaliers .464
30 Milwaukee Bucks .452

TS%:

17 New Orleans 53.5
18 Charlotte 53.2
19 LA Clippers 53.0
20 Philadelphia 53.0
21 Minnesota 52.7
22 Memphis 52.5
23 Detroit 52.4
24 Indiana 52.3
25 Portland 51.9
26 Washington 51.8
27 New Jersey 51.5
28 Sacramento 50.8
18 Cleveland 50.8
30 Milwaukee 50.3

anybody else see a trend here? What I see is that with very few exceptions, the worst teams, the 14 lottery teams, also rank as the worst shooting teams. The playoff teams are the better shooting teams,

The two aberrations are OKC and Phoenix. We know why the Suns are towards the top of the league in shooting but have a losing record: they are horrible on the boards and horrible defensively, but have a team of good shooters

And OKC has Durant and Westbrook as well as plays good defense. Having a top-10 or top-5 player will offset generally poor team shooting, especially when the team ranks 2nd in FT attempts

The only other playoff team that makes an appearance, barely, at 17, is New Orleans. But again, having the best PG in the game offsets average shooting.

Now, it's possible those rankings are as much effect as cause. The better teams have better talent and better talent likely equals better shooting opportunities.

But the Blazers rank so poorly in all those shooting categories that heading towards the playoffs for them will be like trying to advance against gale-force wind.

(by the way, while portland ranks shamefully last in 3pt percentage, they aren't shy about pulling the trigger: they rank 13th in 3pt attempts. At least OKC has the good sense to jack up 3 less attempts a game)

So, all this makes me wonder if Portland's shooting woes shouldn't be a controlling factor in their trade targets. It's the main reason I have reservations about adding Devin Harris. He's a below average shoooter, even compared to the low Blazer standards. They sure as hell shouldn't give up much for him, but it does make accepting Harrington as the price of adding Harris a little more attractive. Harrington at least is a decent shooter, although I really doubt portland will accept his contract

I also wonder if the desire for adding another big is misplaced, especially one that doesn't come with an offensive game

and finally, I guess you have to question advisability of players like Batum (30.7%) and Mills (31.7%) taking 3 pt shots, even if the offense generates open looks for them. And that in turn leads to the question of it it makes it easier to accept them being traded.

LOL Wiz, many of the points you raise have been reverberating in my brain the past several days, especially as the trade rumors heat up. I just don't have a good clue as to what Blazer mgmt is thinking here, and I'm not sure what I would do either frankly. I do think trading the vets remains a good idea assuming solid pieces can be brought back. I would not ming D Harris, but for perhaps Miller and a pick, nothing more.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#7 » by cucad8 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 pm

I agree with you on Outlaw's positioning. But the game we played there, he seemed about the same to me. Position didn't seem to matter. he floats around the three point line, and looks for that jab step jumper. I think the biggest issue, SF or PF, is not getting those looks from Brandon. Of course, I guess that in a way goes against my previous thoughts, as Harris isn't apparently getting him those looks.

Who knows. I don't know if it pushes us any further to being a title contender. But doing nothing is not going to help any. And at the very least, he's a small upgrade talent wise. If we can continue to make deals like that, we could very well eventually get the right pieces for that title run. Miller to Harris. Harris to X. X to Y. Along those lines. Similar to Dallas continuing to add piece after piece in signings or trades, and looking to continually upgrade those pieces, until the right mix is found.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,399

Post#8 » by Blazinaway » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:28 pm

cucad8 wrote:I agree with you on Outlaw's positioning. But the game we played there, he seemed about the same to me. Position didn't seem to matter. he floats around the three point line, and looks for that jab step jumper. I think the biggest issue, SF or PF, is not getting those looks from Brandon. Of course, I guess that in a way goes against my previous thoughts, as Harris isn't apparently getting him those looks.

Who knows. I don't know if it pushes us any further to being a title contender. But doing nothing is not going to help any. And at the very least, he's a small upgrade talent wise. If we can continue to make deals like that, we could very well eventually get the right pieces for that title run. Miller to Harris. Harris to X. X to Y. Along those lines. Similar to Dallas continuing to add piece after piece in signings or trades, and looking to continually upgrade those pieces, until the right mix is found.

IMO that is the key here, make good trades for good assets and for now don't worry much about the effect on the wins/losses and this season.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#9 » by d-train » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:47 pm

A bad shooting team doesn't necessarily improve by adding good shooters. Some of the players on the Blazers shooting a poor percentage are decent shooters.

The best way for a team to improve shooting is to add a player that can breakdown defenses and force defensive rotations. It's when the defense is rotating to cover threats that an offense can get easy opportunities to score. That is what Roy gave the Blazers but at the same time we had Roy we didn't have good balance. The whole time we had Roy the Blazers were always playing 3 or 4 against 5. To be really good you need Roy plus 4 other players that can command respect from the opponent.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#10 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm

During the pre-season, when we were hot from 3pt land, the team had a bunch of shoot-out contests together, seemed like it was at the end of every practice a group would get together and shoot to see who could make the most 3's in a row.

I really hope the effect this had hasn't been lost. Not only did it give guys a lot more practice shooting, but it remained a friendly but competitive event. It built chemistry and seemed to be a bonding activity. Perhaps they still do it, but with the rigors of the road, with the exhausting chain of events already this season, I could easily see the importance of this getting overlooked and forgotten.

The players need some low-pressure, competitive 3 pt shooting, so that when they are shooting in a game they aren't thinking what their NBA percentages are, but how they made eight 3's in a row last night at practice with everyone watching them. Perhaps I am thinking too much of the mental side of things, but with supposedly good (but apparently streaky) shooters I don't know what else it could be but confidence...
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#11 » by Agenda42 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 pm

d-train wrote:A bad shooting team doesn't necessarily improve by adding good shooters. Some of the players on the Blazers shooting a poor percentage are decent shooters.

The best way for a team to improve shooting is to add a player that can breakdown defenses and force defensive rotations.

Yup. My top priority right now for the Blazers is acquiring a player who can't be covered one on one and has at least some ability to pass the ball. I have every confidence that Rudy, Nic, and Wes can make open threes; and while I'd like a PG who can shoot the ball well too, it's just not as important as adding a player who can generate good looks.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 123

Post#12 » by Butter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Agenda42 wrote:
d-train wrote:A bad shooting team doesn't necessarily improve by adding good shooters. Some of the players on the Blazers shooting a poor percentage are decent shooters.

The best way for a team to improve shooting is to add a player that can breakdown defenses and force defensive rotations.

Yup. My top priority right now for the Blazers is acquiring a player who can't be covered one on one and has at least some ability to pass the ball. I have every confidence that Rudy, Nic, and Wes can make open threes; and while I'd like a PG who can shoot the ball well too, it's just not as important as adding a player who can generate good looks.

This is what I was thinking at the end of the Heat game the other night. The Blazers need a player who can create his own shot and consistently make a shot when the game is on the line. In essense, Brandon Roy. The ideal situation from my opinion would be to have a health Roy (or comparable player) playing within the motion offense. Basically, play team ball, but be prepared to take over the game when the situation dictates.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Tommy Sneakers
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#13 » by Tommy Sneakers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm

The Blazers are the best offensive rebounding team in the league. That masks their awful shooting a bit.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#14 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 am

The Blazers are the worst 3 point shooting team in the league? Wow, that royally blows!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#15 » by Agenda42 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 am

Butter wrote:This is what I was thinking at the end of the Heat game the other night. The Blazers need a player who can create his own shot and consistently make a shot when the game is on the line. In essense, Brandon Roy. The ideal situation from my opinion would be to have a health Roy (or comparable player) playing within the motion offense. Basically, play team ball, but be prepared to take over the game when the situation dictates.

It doesn't need to be his own shot. It can easily be an open look for someone else. It all starts with the threat to generate easy baskets against one on one coverage. The only guys who can make that a realistic claim are Aldridge and Miller, both with their post games. That's just not enough of an individual offensive threat to make the offense go.

Lost in the acclaim for Matthews, and much of it is deserved, is the realization that 70% of his shots are assisted. He's picking up the scoring slack that Roy left quite nicely, but he's an assist sink rather than an assist source -- Roy scored similarly well, but only 28% of his baskets were assisted and he also generated about 3 more assists per game than Matthews.

Let me do a little math to illustrate how big a difference this is for the Blazer offense. The '09-10 Blazers got 5.4 unassisted baskets from Roy plus a net 2.5 (assists out - assists used). The '10-11 Blazers got 1.6 unassisted baskets from Matthews plus a net -2.2 (assists out - assists used). Add that all up, and the Blazers are fishing for 8.5 baskets created per game. At the Blazer shooting rate of 43.7%, they need almost 20 typical shooting opportunities created to generate those 8.5 baskets that are missing in the Roy/Matthews swap.

Of course it's not fair to expect Matthews to produce at a strong all-star's level, but that is the missing link between the very efficient offenses of the past two years and the pretty mediocre offense of this season. 20 shots is about 1/4 of the shots attempted in a game, and the other Blazers have to make up those shooting opportunities somehow. Mostly, they make up for them by adding lower quality shots.

Getting back to the topic, I'm not really buying that Blazer shooters are all simultaneously having a serious shooting slump. I think they need a player who can break down the defense and get them easy looks. How many corner threes did Batum get from Roy? Find him another guy who can generate those looks and he'll be a fantastically efficient shooter again, I'll bet.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#16 » by Mr Odd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 am

The best way for a team to improve shooting is to add a player that can breakdown defenses and force defensive rotations. It's when the defense is rotating to cover threats that an offense can get easy opportunities to score. That is what Roy gave the Blazers but at the same time we had Roy we didn't have good balance. The whole time we had Roy the Blazers were always playing 3 or 4 against 5. To be really good you need Roy plus 4 other players that can command respect from the opponent.

+1
Add spacing to the above.
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
blazers73
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#17 » by blazers73 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:58 pm

2008/2009 With Blake EFG% 51.1
2009-2010 Miller and Blake EFG% 49.9
2010-2011 Miller EFG% 47.5

There are of course many pieces to this puzzle but the biggest piece is Miller. Once he is traded, our shooting will improve.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#18 » by d-train » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:14 pm

The biggest change to the Blazers over the last 2 years is the fade of Brandon Roy.
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Walton'sBeard! » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I should have known that Miller's presence was the cause of Roy's knee problems.

EDIT: dammit dtrain, you beat me
blazers73
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by blazers73 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 pm

I should have known that Miller's presence was the cause of Roy's knee problems

I do believe I said there were many pieces to the puzzle. Let me reread my post....Ah yes there it is

There are of course many pieces to this puzzle

Now I do realize hyperbole is just more fun than reality sometimes. But this was hyperbole squared. :roll:

Return to Portland Trail Blazers