Which is the better Route?

Moderator: Crowned

If it were you, which would you rather play in?

Total votes: 0

moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Which is the better Route? 

Post#1 » by moose man » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:26 am

In Canada many kids are faced with a difficult choice. One option is to take the major junior route and play in the CHL. The other option is to play tier two junior in the CJAHL. Many kids face this decision when coming out of midget and many people have different stances. Both ways have their pros and cons.

As soon as you step onto a CHL ice surface and play in a game you lose all eligibility to gain an NCAA scholarship. However more kids are drafted to the NHL out of the CHL then the CJAHL. So if you are a phenom this is the most likely route unless you want to be smart and gain an education for nothing while you play. CHL teams do offer schooling but the fact is more kids actually pass and graduate in the NCAA. Failing comes at a result of long travel distances on buses and missing classes to go on road trips. Road trips can last up to 4 or 5 games away from home. Also the schools they are put in usually aren't the best institutions unless you are in a big market such as a Calgary or a Vancouver or a Ottawa. The CHL also offers bigger crowds and television time. They are usually the talk of their cities unless they are in big markets with NHL franchises.

In tier two junior travel is limited to within your own province which cuts down on time on the bus. Most road trips are 2-3 day trips which usually only occur on weekends. There are the drive in for the game leave after road trips during the week. But most times you're home at a reasonable hour. You have the chance to gain an NCAA scholarship. However not everybody gets one, but there is a decent conversion percentage. CJAHL teams are usually in small towns and have peak crowds of two to three thousand, although it varies from town to town and from league to league. Not many kids have been drafter straight out of tier two junior but some have made it, such as Danny Heatley.

So if you had the choice which would you prefer. Me personally I would want an education out of it and take my chances going further from there. To get a top education for basically nothing is what I would want. I would take that chance. The big crowds don't really do it for me although it is nice to have support. I'd be more worried about my future. The fact is the percentage of kids drafted out of the CHL is less then the percentage of kids that get scholarships out of the CJAHL.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#2 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:57 am

If you have a great chance in being successful in the CHL, and possibly get drafted...then I'd pick that route. However, if you'd be a marginal CHL player...then I'd go with the NCAA. I think it depends on your situation and talent. I've played with guys that have absolutely dominated during Minor hockey, and completely struggle in the OHL.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#3 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:58 am

I'd also like to add that at the moment, quite a few NCAA players are gaining a significant amount of attention in the league....so there's still a chance to get noticed in college.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#4 » by moose man » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:13 am

Very true Crowned. It's not like if you do go the NCAA route you wont be noticed. I have also played with a lot of guys who were amazing back in minor hockey that went to the CHL when they were 15 or 16. They didn't develop and were never the players that many of us thought they could be. Personally Im glad I went the tier two junior route.
ctabaczy
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#5 » by ctabaczy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:42 pm

being a student at a CCHA school for the last 5 years and growing up in a hockey rich area, seeing college players producing in the NHL is great, i think if more quality hockey players took the college route and did like they do in college basketball..which is play one or two years and then jump would enhance the sport even more on the collegiate level, as well as provide at least a little bit of an education would be a win win situation for everyone.
jayme2008
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by jayme2008 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:04 pm

ctabaczy wrote:being a student at a CCHA school for the last 5 years and growing up in a hockey rich area, seeing college players producing in the NHL is great, i think if more quality hockey players took the college route and did like they do in college basketball..which is play one or two years and then jump would enhance the sport even more on the collegiate level, as well as provide at least a little bit of an education would be a win win situation for everyone.

I just don't see that happening.There is alot of history in the chl players are not just going to give that up.Most chl players do go to school.

Return to Junior and International Hockey