ImageImageImageImageImage

Conversation with Lacob

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

cladden
Analyst
And1: 373

Conversation with Lacob 

Post#1 » by cladden » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:18 am

So a friend of mine ran into Joe Lacob Arrillaga gym and apparently had a good conversation with him. Seeing as none of this is very earth-shattering I hope people won't think I made it up.

First email:

I played at the Arrillaga gym in Menlo Park this afternoon -- the one that replaced the Burgess gym.

Joe Lacob was there hanging out! he was going to play pickup but then his son's showed up, they're like early 20's, and he decided to just watch them and talk to me! We talked Warriors for about 40 minutes. He was pretty open about what he wants to do and the issues with the team, etc. Great conversation, I was impressed.

And I fat-finger my iphone response:

Pretty cook. Did he drop any names fr trades?

He then went on to say this:

Said they are going to go hard after Nene and will probably have to overpay, but that's what you have to do because he's one of the few good bigs available. He also said they have about $20 million to play with including expiring contracts. He claims he asked Wyc Grousbeck, co-owner of the Celtics, about Kendrick Perkins a few days before he was traded. And while he thinks Danny Ainge is a brilliant GM, thinks the Celtics made a terrible trade.

He also said he's amazed at how clueless the media is and shocked by how often they seem to just make stuff up if not grossly misinterpret what he and others say. For example, there have been a lot of reports the Warriors would like to get a strong small forward like Andre Iguodola so Dorell Wright can come off the bench. He says that's a really low priority and he's perfectly fine with Wright as a starter. He also said he never said, as was reported, that the Warriors passed on a trade for Gerald Wallace and the fact that it cost Portland two #1's to get him, shows the Warriors weren't in the bidding because they couldn't match anything like that. He also said Wallace is way too expensive and a black hole on offense; he'd only want him if his salary was a lot lower.

I asked him about Al Thornton versus Maggette and he said the fact Thornton is a lot cheaper makes him more valuable to W's. Also he likes that Thornton can come in for Dorell Wright and provide a very different offensive threat, being a slasher instead of a 3 pt. shooter, makes him a nice weapon. Couple of other things, I'll tell you next time I see you.

Wouldn't mind getting Nene even if I've never thought him to be such a great defender or rebounder but he would be the only legit post scoring threat we've had since Damp's contract season and before that I can't even remember.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Re: Conversation with Lacob 

Post#2 » by Quazza » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:34 am

if he thinks we're going to have 20 mill, we're even more **** than any of us could have imagined
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#3 » by Coxy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:07 am

Quazza wrote:if he thinks we're going to have 20 mill, we're even more **** than any of us could have imagined

lol, damn straight. Wh're going to have to overpay for Nene huh? Looking forward to the max deal we offer him this offseason, somehow.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#4 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:31 pm

We are going to have to dump Monta or Biedrins to offer Nene the kind of money it is going to take to pry him away from Denver.

I also think the new CBA will hurt our efforts as well.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#5 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Coxy wrote:
Quazza wrote:if he thinks we're going to have 20 mill, we're even more **** than any of us could have imagined

lol, damn straight. Wh're going to have to overpay for Nene huh? Looking forward to the max deal we offer him this offseason, somehow.

S&T? You are assuming that you can only use money to overpay..

The Warriors should be about 20m under the lux tax line, which I thought we already determined was Lacob's limit..
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#6 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Hopefully Myers has the connection with the Denver front office to swing an S&T and Nene wants to play for Golden State. A lot of selling is going to take place. I like our chances better now than I did with just Riley.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,302

Post#7 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Loose lips sink ships.

I don't need to know this information Lacob. I need you to get a deal done.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
xRapHeadx
Lead Assistant
And1: 124

Post#8 » by xRapHeadx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Nene would be a huge upgrade over Beans, obviously. But he's a step back rebounding wise(not blocking out Perk in what was the back breaking tip in game 1)
Coxy wrote:Well, that is very true indeed. Weed and playstation is like peas and carrotts.
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#9 » by don nelson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:
Coxy wrote:

S&T? You are assuming that you can only use money to overpay..

The Warriors should be about 20m under the lux tax line, which I thought we already determined was Lacob's limit..

That is exactly what Lacob is referring to and Joe has made that same statement in the VIP room at Oracle many times to his season ticket holders since he bought the Warriors.
Hunta
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Hunta » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Im a big fan of an Ellis + Biedrins for Darko + Wes Johnson + #20 deal.

Not that Darko is all so great, but we're covered even if we don't get Nene in FA, as Udoh/Darko is pretty solid tandem at Center. If we did get Nene then we've got a frontcourt of Lee/Udoh and Nene/Darko, which is damned good.

If we picked SG Alec Burks at #11 and PG Nolan Smith at #20 then we'd be pretty good.

PG- Curry-N.Smith-Lin
SG- Burks-R.Williams
SF- Wes Johnson-D.Wright-Thornton
PF- Lee-Udoh
C - Nene-Darko-Nameless Ogre
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#11 » by KR4 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Loose lips sink ships.

Strait outa WW2 propoganda posters.

Nicely done.

Leeeee's Nuts!
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,718

Post#12 » by floppymoose » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:07 pm

cladden wrote:He also said he never said, as was reported, that the Warriors passed on a trade for Gerald Wallace and the fact that it cost Portland two #1's to get him, shows the Warriors weren't in the bidding because they couldn't match anything like that. He also said Wallace is way too expensive and a black hole on offense; he'd only want him if his salary was a lot lower.

This is part of the "poor pitiful me" act that is getting a little tiring.

Here's what his comments have amounted to:
No we didn't pass on a trade for Gerald, because we didn't have anything Charlotte wanted.
But if we had been in the running, we would have passed, because we don't like Gerald's game.

And then he doesn't understand why people who think Wallace could help the Warriors are upset with him. "It's all the media misquoting me!"
KR4
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#13 » by KR4 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 pm

floppymoose wrote:
cladden wrote:He also said he never said, as was reported, that the Warriors passed on a trade for Gerald Wallace and the fact that it cost Portland two #1's to get him, shows the Warriors weren't in the bidding because they couldn't match anything like that. He also said Wallace is way too expensive and a black hole on offense; he'd only want him if his salary was a lot lower.

This is part of the "poor pitiful me" act that is getting a little tiring.

Totes Mcgotes.
Leeeee's Nuts!
Hunta
Banned User

Post#14 » by Hunta » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Why can't both things be true? The trade rumor was false. And he didn't like dealing for Gerald Wallace anyways. Makes sense.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,859

Post#15 » by 510TWSS » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:26 pm

With that being read, Nene would be fine with me. Hopefully no more than 4-61.
Hunta
Banned User

Post#16 » by Hunta » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:49 pm

I think if Randolph is getting 4/$74 that Nene is going to get 5/$98M. He's a Center and he's pretty young.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,718

Post#17 » by floppymoose » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Hunta wrote:Why can't both things be true? The trade rumor was false. And he didn't like dealing for Gerald Wallace anyways. Makes sense.

Who's saying they aren't both true? What he is failing to grasp is that the fans were upset by his comment that Wallace wasn't a good fit. He definitely said that, and he says it again in cladden's story.
Hunta
Banned User

Post#18 » by Hunta » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Yeah, he said he's not a good fit and he has every right to continue to say he was not a good fit when someone brings it up to him. That's his opinion.

I think its great that when a fan comes up to him that he engages the fan in conversation and defends his opinion. That's not him trying to get sympathy in any way. Its him defending his opinion like anyone else would.

And pointing out a false story is his right, too. I'd do the same thing if people came to me and brought up a story that never happened.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#19 » by shazam_guy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Yeah. I don't agree with him about Wallace but I'm willing to accept that he's the one making the decisions. And he'll live with those decisions (as will we all.)

Like I said, rubber meets the road this year. Of course, a lockout might knock all considerations sideways...
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#20 » by timlin500 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:54 pm

I don't know about Nene. I kind of rather have a more defensive, more rebounding Deandre Jordan. That's if we can get him. What else did he say?

Return to Golden State Warriors