Image ImageImage Image

CBS: Exec of the Year Race

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

CBS: Exec of the Year Race 

Post#1 » by SlimD235 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:55 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1500 ... rontrunner

Securing three of the league's top free agents in the same offseason has Riley neck-and-neck with GM Gar Forman of the Bulls for the trophy awarded annually to the NBA's best executive, according to votes tabulated by CBSSports.com. With 20 of the NBA's 30 general managers responding to the survey, Riley has eight first-place votes compared to seven for Forman. Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri's expert handling of the Carmelo Anthony trade earned him two first-place votes, while Thunder GM Sam Presti received one. Two GMs responded but declined to disclose their votes.

Some GMs who voted for Forman stipulated that John Paxson, who remained the Bulls' executive vice president of basketball operations when Forman was promoted two summers ago, should receive some of the credit. Chicago voters mentioned how the Bulls front office didn't panic after getting shut out in the James-Wade sweepstakes and instead added Carlos Boozer, who was "a very, very good fit" with point guard Derrick Rose, according to one voter. Forman and Paxson also resisted the urge to trade Luol Deng, and one GM who voted for Forman praised his refusal to become entangled in the Anthony trade sweepstakes -- even after it became known in league circles that Chicago was one of the teams Melo would extend his contract with if traded.

"They played well without [Joakim] Noah for 30-something games and without Boozer for 20-something," an executive who voted for the Bulls said. "They didn't make any major moves at the deadline, but they put a team together and had confidence in that team."

It'll be announced early May. So far it looks like only 20 out of 30 have voted.

GO GARPAX!!
Blue Note
Starter
And1: 43

Re: CBS: Exec of the Year Race 

Post#2 » by Blue Note » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am

Praise from fellow GMs for not getting involved in a competition for a big name. What a concept eh?
"Just gotta stand in front of him," Butler said, as if it were simple.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#3 » by SHO'NUFF » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 am

Getting LeBron and Bosh was not the work of Pat Riley. It was decided a while ago by Wade, Bosh, LBJ. Pat Riley just happened to be the GM.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#4 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:28 am

SHO'NUFF wrote:Getting LeBron and Bosh was not the work of Pat Riley. It was decided a while ago by Wade, Bosh, LBJ. Pat Riley just happened to be the GM.

Right - just like George HW Bush took credit for fall of Soviet Union.

He was prez at the time but had nothing really to do with the breakup

but just finishing second to Riley is a moral victory
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
JayT44
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#5 » by JayT44 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:33 am

Boozer's awfulness is going to kill GarPax's chances of winning. :lol:

But still, there's no way Riley doesn't get (and deserve) this award. He's easily the winner in my mind.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#6 » by bullsnewdynasty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:08 am

Riley was still able to clear the cap room though. I think GarPax should win, but just sayin.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,591

Post#7 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:11 am

I've never understood why so many people think Riley deserves it so far ahead of anyone else. How many GMs this summer tried to get 2 or even all 3 of those guys? He deserves just because they all decided beforehand that they would say yes to him? He deserves it for doing the most obvious thing in the world, the thing that any idiot running a team would do if there was a chance in hell of getting a yes? For that he deserves it over the guy that kept his cool when he got three nos and still managed to put a deep team together that won 62 games, by signing Brewer and Korver, by trading a 2nd round pick for CJ Watson, by bringing Omer over, by signing KT, etc? I don't get it. GarPax had to think a lot more to do what they did and they ended up winning more games.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#8 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:29 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:Riley was still able to clear the cap room though. I think GarPax should win, but just sayin.

but if you know for sure that they are coming, it is easy to do it
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
WinCity
Banned User
And1: 1,688

Post#9 » by WinCity » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:20 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:
bullsnewdynasty wrote:Riley was still able to clear the cap room though. I think GarPax should win, but just sayin.

but if you know for sure that they are coming, it is easy to do it

GarPax cleared enough to cap room for 2 and had they known they could definetly get 3 I am sure they could have cleared cap room for 3 max's. I don't think clearing ca proom is worthy of such an award. If so Dolan should be a candidate as well.
Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#10 » by Wont PerDont » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:42 am

Is it really possible that the Bulls could sweep the major awards this year? D Rose for MVP, Thibs for COY, Gar for EOY, D Rose 1st team All-NBA, and Deng on an All-Defense team? How incredible would that be?

Oh, yeah...Almost forgot...A great big, shiny *** ring!
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
BullHeaded
Sixth Man
And1: 195

Post#11 » by BullHeaded » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 am

I don't think Gar should win it. If the EOY is for moves made THIS year, then the big gem was adding Tom Thibadeau.

But when you think about it... as far as the players go our best player is Rose, our second best player this year was Deng, our third best player was Noah... after that you can start talking about acquisitions from this year (Boozer, Brewer, Korver and Big Sexy (who was actually a savvy under-the-radar pick up). I'd imagine to earn EOY, you would have had to acquire one of the top performers on the team or one of the biggest catalysts.
So_Ill
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#12 » by So_Ill » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 am

Any other year Gar would win this for sure. Except for maybe the guy who traded Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol.
I'm a bulls fan.
AntBanks81
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by AntBanks81 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Although Riley was "able" to clear the salary room, GarPax created a championship contender. they chose the right coach for the team. They put the right players in place.

As someone said earlier, the big three had more a say in that. Riley simply released and traded everyone away. If that's all it takes, GarPax should win for dumping Hinrich's salary as well as the 17th pick which gave them the room to make it all happen.

Rose-MVP
Thibs-COTY
GarPax-EOTY
10-11 Bulls- World Champs
anorexorcism
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#14 » by anorexorcism » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:35 pm

The cHeat board thinks this article means Riley already won. LOL.
Flabz
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#15 » by Flabz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I would give the nudge to Riley. Riley made history by getting those three together; I am not saying it may have not been decided before but orchestrating all those deals and clearing all that ca space allowed them to make it happen.

Rose wins MVP, Thibs is COY, Deng def deserves to be on the all nba defense team, and rose is ognna get the all nba first team too. The biggest thing would be that championship and I def do think that we can contend with any team in the East and West to get it. Lets go Bulls!!!!
chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Post#16 » by chifan1798 » Sun May 1, 2011 2:40 pm

I think that Gar Forman is more than deserving of the award. Yes, miami did end up with the big 3, but does anyone here really believe that Riley was the one that sealed the deal? He's going to get credit, but we all know, that even if there wasn't any previous planning between the 3, Wade is the one that sold the idea on the other two guys. If anything, the award should go to him, if you're going to give it to anyone in the heat organization. Yes, Riley cleared cap room, but so did the bulls. Riley could have had all the jive talking he wanted, but those 3 guys weren't going to take pay cuts if Wade didn't do some serious convincing, especially considering the option of playing in Chicago with a team with some talent left to go with that cap space.

Then take a look at how they got all 3, who were relatively healthy for the whole year, yet they still didn't even get the best record in the league? Yes, the heat had a new team, with only a few players returning, but the bulls also had their fair share of new people on the team, yet the pieces fit together......rather early too. The bulls had to go to their plan B, and they got the right players AND the right coach, and everything fit together, and they won despite major injuries, and learning a new system, and new players having to get to know each other......and they won so much that they have the best record in the league........better than the much talked about miami heat.

Riley probably will end up getting the award, simply because he's going to get credit for the 3 amigos, but imo, it doesn't matter who the gm would have been.......the players weren't going to get sold on anything if it weren't for wade.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,727

Post#17 » by Jeffster81 » Sun May 1, 2011 9:38 pm

Riley prolly will get EOY, but the real EOY is GarPax. It's easy to go after the best player and land them because A: You have a beach, B: No state tax, and C loose morales, but it's another thing to take such rejection go after the 3rd best FA on the market (Wade was never on the market so he doesn't count) and still land quality players via trade/FA (Watson/Brewer/Korver/Thomas/Asik).

For the short term you could argued the Bulls had a better summer of 2010 then Miami. Long term........time will tell.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#18 » by kyrv » Sun May 1, 2011 9:41 pm

For this decade it'll probably go to Wade/Riley. But for this season given the records and Bulls improvement, and I didn't feel this way when the Bulls were like 4th or 5th overall, but that improvement is historic and should be rewarded (as Thibs was already). Best record overall from 41 wins.

Really has to be the Bulls winning in my opinion.
RoseAbove
Junior
And1: 7

Post#19 » by RoseAbove » Mon May 2, 2011 2:15 am

So_Ill wrote:Any other year Gar would win this for sure. Except for maybe the guy who traded Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol.

Don't forget Marc Gasol. In hindsight it might not have been so one-sided. Memphis was never going anywhere with that team. They acquired some assets, rebuilt and now look at 'em.
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:If you combine the sheer athletic ability of Lebron with the heart and determination of Jordan you end up with Ditka.

bruta1 wrote:Rose was aw shucks in his post game interview, but that alley oop was a big **** you in New York's face.

Return to Chicago Bulls