The Miami Heat are just 2 simple adjustments from NBA Title.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Ballamy
Ballboy
And1: 0

The Miami Heat are just 2 simple adjustments from NBA Title. 

Post#1 » by Ballamy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:07 pm

1) Get Tyson Chandler off the court and get that guy into foul trouble. What's amazing is that Chandler always gets into foul trouble through his entire career, he has a big problem with that. What I would do is send Wade into the paint repeatedly in the first quarter and get some fouls on chandler sticking him on the bench !! Without Haywood for the rest of this series the Mavs will be in real trouble at that point and the Heat will win these 2 games handily if they do that..

2) They must make Dirk work on defense !! Mitch Richmond was on WQAM yesterday and I want you guys to listen to his interview here:

http://www.wqam.com/index.php?page=347

^ Listen to Richmond's take there and he is 100% CORRECT. We don't make Dirk work on defense AT ALL and that's why he has so much energy in 4th quarters for his offense, EVEN WHEN HE HAS THE FLU !!

Richmond makes an EXCELLENT POINT !! We must make Dirk run all over the floor when he's on defense because so far he has been getting a FREE PASS in these playoffs because we're not attacking him when we're on offense, and this allows Dirkj to just concentrate on offense himself, and he's killing us because of it. Chandler is a MUCH better defender than Dirk is and what we need to do is make Dirk run around on defense like the Mavs are making LeBron run around making him chase screens and picks through the first 3 quarters, and this is why LeBron gets worn down by the 4th quarter.

Did you guys notice how we were attacking Dirk in the middle of the 4th quarter in Game 5? We were setting Off screens and pick-and-rolls where the Heat got a bunch of easy Haslem and Bosh buckets on Dirk with beautiful passes on screens from Wade and LeBron. But then we were STUPID and STOPPED doing that in the final 4 minutes of the game and went back to our ISO game and stupid long range jumpshots after attacking Dirk relentlessly earlier in the 4th ending in layups and Dunks !! We must do this earlier in games and make Dirk run around and work !! By the 4th quarters he will be tired and won't be able to make those difficult shots he's making late in games !

Mitch Richmond is BANG on !! Why isn't Spoelstra fighting Fire with Fire ?!?! The Mavs are consciously making LeBron run around screens and chasing on defense for the entire first halves of this series, WE NEED TO DO THE SAME TO THEM and PASS the ball around a lot instead of ISO Making Dirk Work HARD on Defense in the 1st halves in Games 6 and 7!! We do this WE WIN !! Dirk is slow laterally and he is not a good shot blocker at all. He is not as good defensively as Chandler and Marion are... SO WE MUST ATTACK Dirk ! That is their weak link.. and then Chandler will come over to support Dirk getting beat down on defense getting Chandler in foul trouble as he needs to extend his defense.

The Mavs are extending our defense lately, WE NEED TO DO THE SAME TO THEM !! and the weak link is using our drives and athletic players down low like Haslem and Bosh to make Dirk move all over the court on defense. I want to see Dirk SCRAMBLING on defense in the 1st halves of games 6 and 7; .. I want to see Dirk stretch all the way to the 3-point line in his covers, then move the ball around getting him to the other side, then for good measure set curls and pick and rolls RIGHT ON Dirk and start getting into his head ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL !! it will GREATLY affect his 4th quarter performance.. TRUST ME. This is what the Mavs are doing to lebron early in games and we MUST FIGHT Fire with Fire and do this to Dirk !! Attack him like we attacked Boozer's terrible defensive ability in the 3rd round in the Bulls series.

Trust me if we do this WE WIN !! Now what's Erik Spoelstra's email address so I can send this to him.?!

If we attacked Dirk's defense starting from Game 1, and made him work really hard on that side of the ball in the first 3 quarters, then right now we have this series already won and are NBA Champions.
NoMoreThrees
Banned User

Re: The Miami Heat are just 2 simple adjustments from NBA Ti 

Post#2 » by NoMoreThrees » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:13 pm

I don't think its about adjustments as the games are close. Its just about finishing. Lebron needs to pull his head out his butt. Heat at home. Easily can win 2 games at home. Can easily lose game 6 or win game 6 and lose game 7. These teams are so very evenly match. Only real difference is it seem Carlisle know how to make the late game adjustment that has his team finishing games and Spolestra doesnt seem to know what to do outside his set gameplan.
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#3 » by CodyB_ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Oh my goodness !! Why hasn't Spoelstra, Bosh, James or Wade thought of this already ?? You're genius !! You shoule be the new coach of the HEAT !! You also show your humble by considering Mitch Richmond's opinion as well !!
Don't be a jerk.
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#4 » by CodyB_ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Oh my goodness !! Why hasn't Spoelstra, Bosh, James or Wade thought of this already ?? You're genius !! You shoule be the new coach of the HEAT !! You also show your humble by considering Mitch Richmond's opinion as well !!
Don't be a jerk.
Tha Juice
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#5 » by Tha Juice » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Ballamy wrote:1) Get Tyson Chandler off the court and get that guy into foul trouble. What's amazing is that Chandler always gets into foul trouble through his entire career, he has a big problem with that. What I would do is send Wade into the paint repeatedly in the first quarter and get some fouls on chandler sticking him on the bench !! Without Haywood for the rest of this series the Mavs will be in real trouble at that point and the Heat will win these 2 games handily if they do that..

I didn't catch game 5 but Wade did that in game 4 and the Heat still lost. Chandler only had 3 fouls.
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#6 » by Chosen01 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:32 pm

It can't just be Wade attacking, Bosh and James BOTH need to attack Chandler.This a guy who is always in foul trouble which is why Mavs fans and Cuban and himself say Haywood is so valuable because he doesn't have to worry about going out because he has another 7footer who is also great defensively.

LeBron for whatever reason is not attacking enough and when does he usually passes it out.I think with the home crowd and energy it'll be better.
Sloopy
Freshman

Post#7 » by Sloopy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:34 pm

CodyB_ wrote:Oh my goodness !! Why hasn't Spoelstra, Bosh, James or Wade thought of this already ?? You're genius !! You shoule be the new coach of the HEAT !! You also show your humble by considering Mitch Richmond's opinion as well !!
Humans are Evil bastards to claim that a god is all knowing - when the queer bastard is too stupid to comprehend that 4 simultaneous corner 24 hour days and 4 Earth rotations occur within a single 24 hour rotation of CubedEarth.
http://www.timecube.com/
ecnirp
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#8 » by ecnirp » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Its simple really.

For some reason Spoelstra gets a "cold". And Pat Riley decides to take over the last two games since Eric is not "well"
Brooklyn_34
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#9 » by Brooklyn_34 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:20 pm

He makes good points. But keep in mind Miami did not just "stop"... WE MADE ADJUSTMENTS TO THEM.

But my question is this: who is going to make Dirk work on defense? Joel Anthony?
That's the problem: Dallas has the advantage in 3 out of the 5 positions.

Keep in mind that Wade also is in the same situation: there is really no one to make him work on defense as well.

Getting Tyson in foul trouble would be a very good idea. But remember, after the Haywood injury, Tyson was not as aggressive defending cutters and played over 40 minutes. You all got a lot of points in the paint. That still resulted in a loss. Cardinal is playing surprisingly well and setting some damned good screens and is getting real physical. With this, Chandler might not have to worry as much.

If anything, this will come down to the benches. Chalmers is the key for Miami, and I believe your most important player IMO. This might be problematic for Miami because our bench is starting to hit shots. Chalmers must win his matchup against Jason Terry and JJ Barea-- he must win it emphatically.

Miami tried to speed up the offensive pace to outgun Dallas-- it didn't work. THEY got outgunned.

The bottom line is this: up to this point, Spolestra has coached well. But Carlisle has been better.
Dallas has been more resilient than people thought they would be. That Wade injury might be very important.
SolidSnake008
Banned User

Post#10 » by SolidSnake008 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:27 pm

All that is easier said than done.....Imo i think coaching and adjustments is going to play a bigger role in these last few games.....But to me at this point Rick Carlisle is playing chess while Spo is playing connect four
Brooklyn_34
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Brooklyn_34 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Also,

Miami has a severe lack of perimeter shooting. There is no inside-outside game.

Chalmers and Haslem have been the only ones to hit perimeter shots.

Dallas can just pack the paint and really not worry about someone hitting an outside shot.

Miami, on the other hand, has to worry about Marion, Chandler, and Dirk down low. And they have shooters who FINALLY started hitting shots in game 5.

If that continues in game 6, regardless of making Dirk work on defense and even challenging Chandler down low, that MIGHT NOT be enough to overcome Dallas.

Food for thought.
Brooklyn_34
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Brooklyn_34 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:29 pm

SolidSnake008 wrote:All that is easier said than done.....Imo i think coaching and adjustments is going to play a bigger role in these last few games.....But to me at this point Rick Carlisle is playing chess while Spo is playing connect four

Beautifully said.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#13 » by Froob » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm

ecnirp wrote:Its simple really.

For some reason Spoelstra gets a "cold". And Pat Riley decides to take over the last two games since Eric is not "well"
LOL, I hope Pat Riley doesn't read realgm. Heat with a competent offensive coach would be very hard to beat.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Hon-essim
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Hon-essim » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:55 pm

You don't outgun the Mavs and yes if Joel Anthony simply tries some moves on Dirk it bothers him.

Dirk is not Wade. With Dirk you can tire him by just having a post presence. That was why Shaq was critical to the Heat despite being horrible in the Finals. I don't care if they sacrifice one shot to make Dirk rise up and block it, at this point the Heat are not even doing the equivalent of putting Jason Kidd on Dirk.

Spoelstra hasn't coached well in the Finals at all. Every other series he has been decent but every other series they were playing with teams who played one side of the court except Boston and Boston no longer has a go to scorer in their prime.

Also everyone likes to bring up small samples but one game where the Heat loses because they attempted a one man attempt at getting Tyson Chandler into foul trouble does not make for a plan revolving around getting Tyson Chandler in foul trouble.

Additional pressure on a guy like Chalmers should not be the key at all. Additional minutes yes but Chalmers is the guy best known for playing great when the pressure isn't on him. "Simple" adjustments are a hyperbole but yes, Miami could increase their chance of beating Dallas by playing this way. Not because it's some new fad thing that Spoelstra didn't think about but simply because this is just good old fundamental playoff basketball tactics that every defensive team utilizes which is what Miami is especially if Lebron disappears. The fact that Spoelstra can't even put in these rudimentary tactics says more against him as a defensive coach than it does for the actual suggestions.
Gerhalt11 wrote:What? He produces better results than he should? Fire that guy!

No coach. No GM. Probably no star. I swear, in my 23 years of following this team, I can't name a stranger time than this moment to be a supporter of the Magic.
brownsmith89
Senior
And1: 120

Post#15 » by brownsmith89 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Ballamy wrote:We were setting Off screens and pick-and-rolls where the Heat got a bunch of easy Haslem and Bosh buckets on Dirk with beautiful passes on screens from Wade and LeBron.
they looked unstoppable in the paint in that stretch.
Ballamy
Ballboy

Post#16 » by Ballamy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:08 pm

brownsmith89 wrote:
Ballamy wrote:We were setting Off screens and pick-and-rolls where the Heat got a bunch of easy Haslem and Bosh buckets on Dirk with beautiful passes on screens from Wade and LeBron.

EXACTLY.

but it wasn't just that stretch, but our offense has been best through this whole series when attacking Dirk's defense and making him move a lot to cover a lot of ground. We need to do a lot more of it, for many reasons.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#17 » by Heat_team02 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Attacking the basket only works when no contact takes place. If contact occurs & the whistle doesn't blow despite attacking time after time after time then in that case Lebron & Wade should not be together on the floor in the 2nd quarter & some of the 3rd quarter. That spot should be designated to an outside threat (Miller) rather than having a 2nd attacker catching the kick-out pass behind the 3pt line.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#18 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:25 pm

brownsmith89 wrote:

that play is the key

i wonder if DAL will look at tape to adjust on that play, b/c they were being EXPOSED
SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#19 » by SadKingsFan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:25 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that Rick Adelman is the perfect coach for this Miami team. It's actually a shame that they got this far, because i doubt Spoelstra will be let go anytime soon.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#20 » by LApwnd » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:33 pm

SolidSnake008 wrote:All that is easier said than done.....Imo i think coaching and adjustments is going to play a bigger role in these last few games.....But to me at this point Rick Carlisle is playing chess while Spo is playing connect four

:lol: ....this was the same thought process I had when LA was facing them.....only Por. seem to be able to do both of these things consistently with LMA, he attacked Dirk and their perimiter guys forced chandler to commit a few illegal screens here and there to get him into foul trouble...even OKC from what I recall only got Chandler into 1 gm with foul trouble

Return to The General Board