ImageImageImageImageImage

The Jonas Valanciunas Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Are you happy with the Raptors selection 5th overall?

Yes!
51%
No!
27%
Not sure yet...
22%

Total votes: 594

bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,490

Re: The Jonas Valanciunas Thread 

Post#1341 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 am

I wonder if this maximum buyout stuff will be addressed in a new CBA. I think it hurts the NBA more not being able to bring over these young European prospects sooner. It's a tough decision for a kid to have to give up a significant amount of money towards a buyout just to come over here to play.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,813

Post#1342 » by TheRealDeal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:21 am

Is Val playing in the 2011 European Basketball Championship? Lithuania is hosting the event in August.
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#1343 » by MinnyMo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 am

DG88 wrote:
MinnyMo wrote:
Dr Mufasa wrote:Jonas paying 2 mil of his own money is quite a bit. A few days ago I'd have said 2.5 million means he's not coming for 2 years, thought it had to be 1.5 like Rubio.

Thank you Jonas for paying that cash and wanting to play for us. I bet if a Minny signed him he wouldn't have been so willing

How do you know he paid with his own money?

The raptors could of agreed to play the team in the preseason over in Europe, which would boost their revenue.

or

The Raptors can pay the full amount of the buyout, the only thing then is, everything after 500K counts towards the salary cap.

The Raptors can only pay 500 000 dollars towards the buyout. Jonas pays the rest with his rookie contract

That's wrong, it is a common misconception...

The league allows an NBA team to pay up to 500K to finance a buyout without any charge to their respective salary cap.

However, most people forget/don't realize that teams can actually pay the entire amount of a buyout, where the league will only compensate up to 500K and the rest is charged to that teams salary cap.

Also, the Raptors and his current NBA team can negotiate a contract where the Raptors will play them in the Europe, for X amount of years/games during the preseason, where hopefully it will lessen the Buyout expenses for the Raptors/Valanciunas.
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#1344 » by Yoga » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:25 am

Raptor Nation, vote for Jonas V in this general board thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1122435

Jonas has 19 votes; Enes Kanter has 19.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#1345 » by JYD » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:30 am

Yoga wrote:Raptor Nation, vote for Jonas V in this general board thread:

lol will voting for him make it true? I'd definitely vote for Jonas there, why must we rig opinion polls though?
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#1346 » by sisibilio » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 am

MinnyMo wrote:
DG88 wrote:The Raptors can only pay 500 000 dollars towards the buyout. Jonas pays the rest with his rookie contract

That's wrong, it is a common misconception...

The league allows an NBA team to pay up to 500K to finance a buyout without any charge to their respective salary cap.

However, most people forget/don't realize that teams can actually pay the entire amount of a buyout, where the league will only compensate up to 500K and the rest is charged to that teams salary cap.

Also, the Raptors and his current NBA team can negotiate a contract where the Raptors will play them in the Europe, for X amount of years/games during the preseason, where hopefully it will lessen the Buyout expenses for the Raptors/Valanciunas.

You'd be right if we were talking of an undrafted guy or a player selected in the 2nd round, but you can't offer to the 1st round picks any more than what's stipulated in the rookie scale.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM

Post#1347 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 am

Wham! wrote:

lol will voting for him make it true? I'd definitely vote for Jonas there, why must we rig opinion polls though?

besides maybe the lottery, it's the only thing we can realistically see ourselves winning anytime soon
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#1348 » by sisibilio » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 am

TheRealDeal wrote:Is Val playing in the 2011 European Basketball Championship? Lithuania is hosting the event in August.

He's among the candidates but it's not sure yet.
This is the preliminary list:

Mantas Kalnietis (Zalgiris Kaunas)
Sarunas Jasikevicius (Fenerbahce Istanbul)
Tomas Delininkaitis (Zalgiris Kaunas)
Martynas Pocius (Zalgiris Kaunas)
Rimantas Kaukenas (Montepaschi Siena)
Martynas Gecevicius (Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius)
Renaldas Seibutis (Olin Edirne)
Deivydas Gailius (Virtus Bologna)
Simas Jasaitis (Lietuvos Rytas)
Arturas Jomantas (Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas (Zalgiris Kaunas)
Mindaugas Lukauskis (EWE Baskets Oldenburg)
Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris Kaunas)
Darius Songaila (Philadelphia 76ers)
Donatas Motiejunas (Benetton Treviso)
Ksystof Lavrinovic (Montepaschi Siena)
Darjus Lavrinovic (Fenerbahce Istanbul)
Robertas Javtokas (Zalgiris Kaunas)
Marijonas Petravicius (Armani Jeans Milano)
Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius)

In his favor, he's the only true center besides Javtokas.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Yoga
Banned User

Post#1349 » by Yoga » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:41 am

bboyskinnylegs wrote:
Wham! wrote:

besides maybe the lottery, it's the only thing we can realistically see ourselves winning anytime soon

what bboyskinnylegs said. maybe jonas v is browsing real gm now as we type and seeing that he won a online poll against kanter might give him even more confidence.
Yoga
Banned User

Post#1350 » by Yoga » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:43 am

Wham! wrote:

updated score:

jonas v: 34 votes

anus kanter: 22 votes

the power of raptor nation, ladies and gentleman. it was tied at 19 votes before i posted that.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,456

Post#1351 » by DG88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 am

For the final nail in the coffin on the differences between Val and Bargs from Tim Chisholm
Jonas Valanciunas is NOT Andrea Bargnani.

Sifting through the discontent that riddled the fan base after last night's NBA Draft, it seemed like the associations, direct or implied, tying Valanciunas to Toronto's controversial marquee player was at the root of much of the ire. Valanciunas is not Bargnani, however. In fact, the typical comparisons used to describe Valanciunas are players like Joakim Noah and Tyson Chandler - that should help ease the pain a little, no?

Look, despite their comparable frames (both are seven-footers weighing in at around 245 lbs.) these two players could not be more dissimilar. Andrea Bargnani attempted 15 per cent of his shots from around the rim last season, whereas Valanciunas attempted 82 per cent of his shots from around the rim with Lietuvos Rytas last season. Bargnani likes to pick-and-pop, Valanciunas likes to pick-and-roll (something he's excellent at, by the way). Valanciunas also works hard to set screens all over the court, whereas Bargnani prefers to get the ball in isolation situations, where he uses his quickness and size to get his jumpers off.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=369878
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#1352 » by HSOB SIRHC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 am

Something I didn't know before, JV was only 6'6.5 in 2007 and now he's 6'11 with a 7'6 wingspan. Wow.
Credit to Turbozone
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM

Post#1353 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:43 am

HSOB SIRHC wrote:Something I didn't know before, JV was only 6'6.5 in 2007 and now he's 6'11 with a 7'6 wingspan. Wow.

I believe he measured out with a 7'4" wingspan (7'0" in shoes, 9'3" standing reach, 245lbs). But yes he's grown a lot
predicated1
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#1354 » by predicated1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:59 am

bboyskinnylegs wrote:
HSOB SIRHC wrote:Something I didn't know before, JV was only 6'6.5 in 2007 and now he's 6'11 with a 7'6 wingspan. Wow.

I believe he measured out with a 7'4" wingspan (7'0" in shoes, 9'3" standing reach, 245lbs). But yes he's grown a lot

I wonder if he's done growing. He just turned 19 last month... hmmm Another inch maybe?
yayotube
Pro Prospect
And1: 59

Post#1355 » by yayotube » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:22 am

I love this pick the more and more I think about it.
LOOSH
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#1356 » by LOOSH » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:30 am

I like it for you guys ... you'll suck next year, so what -- would drafting Brandon Knight, Kemba or Bismack change that? Not really.

Grit through this next year, bottom out -- you'll be in the running for the #1 pick in a great draft, say you get Harrison Barnes

PG - ???, Bayless
SG - Derozan
SF - Barnes, JJ
PF - Bargs/ED Davis
C - Jonas

Quality stuff moving forward.
yayotube
Pro Prospect

Post#1357 » by yayotube » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:42 am

Exactly, plus the added bonus of having a gifted center work on his game and improve that much more so he's NBA ready by the time he comes over, all without him affecting our wins or losses. The same group as last year pretty much although I don't know what BC has up his sleeve with FA or trades, but I doubt anything could get us into treadmill territory that fast.

I think we need to focus on getting another lottery pick for next year - not even a top 10 but even a late lottery pick should be good, the draft class looks stacked (as of now).
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1358 » by DG88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:48 am

yayotube wrote:Exactly, plus the added bonus of having a gifted center work on his game and improve that much more so he's NBA ready by the time he comes over, all without him affecting our wins or losses. The same group as last year pretty much although I don't know what BC has up his sleeve with FA or trades, but I doubt anything could get us into treadmill territory that fast.

I think we need to focus on getting another lottery pick for next year - not even a top 10 but even a late lottery pick should be good, the draft class looks stacked (as of now).

I'm calling it now we're getting Kabongo :D
yayotube
Pro Prospect

Post#1359 » by yayotube » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:03 am

DG88 wrote:
yayotube wrote:Exactly, plus the added bonus of having a gifted center work on his game and improve that much more so he's NBA ready by the time he comes over, all without him affecting our wins or losses. The same group as last year pretty much although I don't know what BC has up his sleeve with FA or trades, but I doubt anything could get us into treadmill territory that fast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmkEVjdemMA[/youtube]
8-)
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1360 » by DG88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:20 am

yayotube wrote:
DG88 wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmkEVjdemMA[/youtube]
8-)

DOPE 8-)

Return to Toronto Raptors