ImageImageImageImageImage

Our Projected Depth Chart

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Our Projected Depth Chart 

Post#1 » by closg00 » Sat Jul 2, 2011 12:48 am

I just received this Wiz Examiner email with George Panagakos's projected depth-chart, so why-not keep the hoops discussion going. Big log-jam at SF if we keep both Jeffers & Owen's, & we really could us another Stretch-4, Dray is the only tall shooter we have.

Projected Starters:
C - JaVale McGee
PF - Andray Blatche
SF - Rashard Lewis
SG - Jordan Crawford
PG - John Wall

Reserves:
C - Kevin Seraphin
PF - Trevor Booker
SF - Jan Vesely*, Chris Singleton*
SG - N/A
PG - Shelvin Mack*

*Rookies

Free agents Washington wants back:
C - Hamady N'Diaye
PF - N/A
SF - Othyus Jeffers, Larry Owens
SG - Nick Young
PG - N/A

Free agents unlikely to return:
C - N/A
PF - Yi Jianlian
SF - Josh Howard, Maurice Evans
SG - N/A
PG - Mustafa Shakur

Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/washington-wiza ... z1Qu6VGBFe
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Our Projected Depth Chart 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jul 2, 2011 1:25 am

^ That SF rotation can only work IMO if Lewis' minutes are significantly reduced. They have to find a way to play Vesely so they can develop a top 6 pick, and Singleton's defense is going to make it difficult to keep him off the floor. But there are only 48 minutes at SF to go around. That's why I keep saying that they are going to at least try Vesely at PF so they can get him and Singleton substantial minutes.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#3 » by dangermouse » Sat Jul 2, 2011 4:10 am

Lewis gets around 24 minutes or so split between SF and PF. That leaves some minutes for the rooks. Isnt Lewis a tall shooter too? Having Blatche play C for stretches also frees up some time at PF for Ves.

If the season doesnt lose too many games I wouldnt mind getting a veteran C to backup McGee. If its significantly shortened, screw it, save the cash and just let Seraphin and Blatche play C behind McGee.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#4 » by 7-Day Dray » Sat Jul 2, 2011 12:53 pm

Yeah I think Lewis should start because he's one of our only shooters. We need guys to space the floor. But his minutes should be reduced. So that Vesely and Singleton can develop, but I think Vesely will play some PF, and Ican see Singleton doing the same thing.

And Jeffers and Owens can also play SG.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#5 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 2, 2011 3:05 pm

One of Vesely, Singleton or Booker is going to be squeezed from the rotation. The only way to avoid this is if Blatche bulks up enough to take Seraphin's minutes at backup center. That would free up more forward minutes for Booker and Vesely while providing some offensive skills at center to make up for the lack of skills at forward.
Liverbird
Senior
And1: 12

Post#6 » by Liverbird » Sat Jul 2, 2011 3:50 pm

I'd like to see a minutes breakdown like this:

C - McGee (30) Blatche (10) Seraphin (8)
PF - Blatche (20) Lewis (10) Vesely (10) Booker (8)
SF - Singleton (24) Lewis (12) Vesely (12)
SG - Young (32) Crawford (16)
PG - Wall (32) Crawford (12) Mack (4)

We need to make sure that one of Singleton, McGee, Seraphin or Booker is on the floor at all times.

Rotate Vesely and Lewis at either forward position depending on the matchup.
You'll Never Walk Alone
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#7 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Jul 2, 2011 4:37 pm

Liverbird wrote:I'd like to see a minutes breakdown like this:

We need to make sure that one of Singleton, McGee, Seraphin or Booker is on the floor at all times.

It's actually difficult to make the numbers work with those kinds of breakdowns as we have guys who play two different positions, but, ya' know, they can't ever be on the floor playing both positions at the same time.

:wink:

You actually have to ratchet up the dork level by a notch and put it into a proper flow chart:

Code: Select all

LINEUP
    |      1ST QUARTER       |      2ND QUARTER       |
TIME|2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 |2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 |
PG  |JW----------------------|------------------------|
SG  |NY----------------------|------------------------|
SF  |RL----------------------|------------------------|
PF  |AB----------------------|------------------------|
C   |JM----------------------|------------------------|
MINS: JW-36 NY-30 RL-28 AB-30 JM-30

Then you've got the plug the bench guys in and so forth. For example, here's point guard....

LINEUP
PG  |JW----------------JC----|------JW----------------|
MINS: JW-36 NY-30 RL-28 AB-30 JM-30 JC-12

Simple enough, but now, how many minutes can we get Crawford at shooting guard with him playing the middle of the half and Nick Young presumably finishing the second quarter? That's just an example, but you get the idea.

It's full throttle geekery, but you see that it never quite works out like you want as player X just doesn't quite seem to ever get enough minutes because you can't justify bringing player Y back in for just three minutes and then having him sit again.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 2, 2011 5:36 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:

It's actually difficult to make the numbers work with those kinds of breakdowns as we have guys who play two different positions, but, ya' know, they can't ever be on the floor playing both positions at the same time.

You actually have to ratchet up the dork level by a notch and put it into a proper flow chart:

LINEUP

Then you've got the plug the bench guys in and so forth. For example, here's point guard....

LINEUP

Simple enough, but now, how many minutes can we get Crawford at shooting guard with him playing the middle of the half and Nick Young presumably finishing the second quarter? That's just an example, but you get the idea.

It's full throttle geekery, but you see that it never quite works out like you want as player X just doesn't quite seem to ever get enough minutes because you can't justify bringing player Y back in for just three minutes and then having him sit again.

It's also highly impractical to have an 11 man rotation. The average minutes played could conceivably work out as liverbird wishes, but its not going to happen on a game by game basis. Flip will probably work out an 8-man rotation with about 10 spare minutes available due to foul trouble or match-ups. The players who take those 10 extra minutes will probably vary on a game by game basis.

I figure our core 8-man rotation will involve Wall, Young and Crawford at guard, Lewis, Singleton and Booker at forward, and Mcgee and Blatche at center. (Blatche will start at PF but play a lot of minutes at center.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jul 2, 2011 5:48 pm

nate33 wrote:I figure our core 8-man rotation will involve Wall, Young and Crawford at guard, Lewis, Singleton and Booker at forward, and Mcgee and Blatche at center. (Blatche will start at PF but play a lot of minutes at center.

What, no Vesely?! No way I can believe that our top 6 pick is only going to essentially be an emergency player. Thankfully there's no way that actually happens once Flip sees Vesely outplaying guys like Blatche and Lewis in practice.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#10 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 2, 2011 6:08 pm

With our roster as is...

I actually like Blatche to start at center. I like the idea of going young and uptempo at this time. Energy and uptempo, humble and hungry.

#1 it keeps Blatche down low where he belongs. He's got the most well rounded game of our bigs, and his passing fromthe low post can be a weapon. Mcgee is best served off the bench for momentum boosting highlight plays, dunks and blocks. Seraphin is still green, and well suited for #3 for some toughness and fouls. Ndiaye is basically dleague and depth at this point.

At PF I give Vesely a chance to start, run the floor, defend and dunk with Blatche at C. Booker and Lewis as defensive and offensive backups respectively. Of course Blatche can also go here when Mcgee or Seraphin are at center.

SF I go Singleton. A Blatche, Vesely, Singleton frontline has good overall size, length, scoring, athleticism, rebounding, defense, speed. Lewis primary backup. Young also sees time here.

SG Young starts... Crawford top backup, Jeffers and Mack added depth.

PG Wall of course, backed by Crawford and Mack.

I believe that's 12. I'd love to pickup FAs C Aaron Gray, PG Ben Hansbrough, SF/SG Mo Evans to mix in to what we have as well!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 2, 2011 10:31 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
nate33 wrote:I figure our core 8-man rotation will involve Wall, Young and Crawford at guard, Lewis, Singleton and Booker at forward, and Mcgee and Blatche at center. (Blatche will start at PF but play a lot of minutes at center.

What, no Vesely?! No way I can believe that our top 6 pick is only going to essentially be an emergency player. Thankfully there's no way that actually happens once Flip sees Vesely outplaying guys like Blatche and Lewis in practice.

He may be the #6 pick, but he won't be better than either Blatche or Lewis, not in his rookie year anyhow. I f he cracks the 8 man rotation, it'll be as a reserve, displacing either Booker or Singleton.

Another possibility is that we amnesty Lewis. That'll pit Vesely against Singleton for starting SF..
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#12 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 2, 2011 10:38 pm

I highly doubt Booker is getting 8 minutes off he bench behind all those players while Singleton is starting. To start the season Singleton is going to get scrap minutes here and there amounting to no more then probably 8-10 minutes a game. Vesely may get up to 16 minutes a game. But until either shows some NBA game, I dont see minutes like that being dished out. Booker will probably start at SF until Singleton proves his game. I don't see that happening in less then 15-20 games. Mack will back up at SG also but it will be a game by game thing. I also think Seraphin will get some minutes at PF.

But until we know the final roster, who knows.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#13 » by montestewart » Sat Jul 2, 2011 11:36 pm

I'd be surprised if Booker got only 8 minutes a game too, but Singleton brings defensive skill that serves a teamwide need, and Vesely needs on court time to develop what could be a potent offensive weapon. Maybe a six man rotation upfront: Blatch 30/ McGee 30/ Rashard 24/ Vesely 20/ Singleton 20/ Booker 20. It's not the worst problem in the world to have, trying to find minutes for a lot of young, talented, developing players.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#14 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 3, 2011 7:36 am

I'm more interested in match-ups and line-up synergy than minutes for players. I want to have on court at all times:

One or more playmakers. Bail-out scorers.
One long allpurpose outside defender, to force misses.
One or more tough interior defenders, rebounders, to deter drives and snatch contested boards.

It would be nice if we had a long-range sniper on court at all times, and a luxury to have a high percentage interior strong finisher. But I can compromise. Make do. We're still waiting on next draft, I think, for that 2nd superstar. Until then I'm happy to appreciate a more solid foundation and improved effort all around.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#15 » by MJG » Sun Jul 3, 2011 2:36 pm

You can nitpick on the specifics, but I basically agree with nate. I think our returning rotation players (Wall, Young, Crawford, Lewis, Blatche, Booker, McGee) will regularly sop up 85% of the minutes, and the remaining 15% randomly shuffled about based on matchups, who is playing well recently, who is practicing the best, etc. Some nights, four guys will play 8-10 minutes each. Some nights, one guy might play 25, and a few others don't even get in the game.

Maybe after awhile, Vesely, Singleton, Seraphin, or someone else entirely winds up standing above the rest, but guessing that feels like a crap shoot right now.
Liverbird
Senior
And1: 12

Post#16 » by Liverbird » Sun Jul 3, 2011 2:37 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:

LINEUP

LINEUP

I'm enough of a dork to have considered doing this but also lazy enough not to attempt it.

I understand both the diffculty of having an 11 man rotation and attempting to spread the minutes in a specific fashion. What I was attempting to communicate was really that 1) We should play both Vesely and Lewis minutes at PF and 2) We need to have one of the defensive/energy guys in the lineup at all times 3) Given our current set of players, I think Lewis is better playing with the second unit where we'll need his shooting. There are a couple consolidatioin trades in there someone - or if the new CBA allows the Wiz to amnesty Lewis - it would help the rotation tremendously.

To quote the ex-Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez " We have options"
You'll Never Walk Alone
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 3, 2011 2:54 pm

Well this may all be moot if there's no season.

As is, you'd have to think we start off with McGee, Blatche, Lewis, Young, Wall as the starting 5.

Eventually by seasons end it would be great if Vesely and Singleton emerge and take the starting forward spots.

But however it shakes we have alot of versatility.

C - Mcgee, Blatche, Seraphin, Ndiaye

PF- Blatche, Vesely, Booker, Lewis, Singleton

SF- Lewis, Singleton, Young, Jeffers, Booker, Vesely

SG- Young, Crawford, Jeffers, Mack

PG- Wall, Crawford, Mack
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#18 » by Hoopalotta » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:03 pm

Liverbird wrote:I'm enough of a dork to have considered doing this but also lazy enough not to attempt it.

That rather nicely sums up my position on the matter as well. :D
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:07 pm

Eventually, I think I'd like to see a starting 5 Blatche, Vesely, Singleton, Young, Wall.

I like Blatche's all around game, passing, and offense at C, surround him with the length, defense and energy of Vesely and Singleton at the forwards, with Young's offense at the 2 and Wall pushing and running the show.

Bring McGee off the bench for momentum boosting highlight plays, dunks and blocks at C. Seraphin for toughness and some hard fouls.

PF Blatche can slide down and go big with Mcgee at C. Or Booker off the bench for energy and D, or Lewis for stretch 4 and offense.

SF Lewis off the bench, or slide up Young.

SG Crawford off the bench. More depth with Jeffers or Mack.

PG Crawford off the bench, or Mack.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:10 pm

To break it into 1st & 2nd units, I'd like to see...

Blatche, Vesely, Singleton, Young, Wall

Mcgee, Booker, Lewis, Crawford, Mack

But of course you can mix and match in all sorts of combinations.

Return to Washington Wizards