ImageImage

Too Early 2012 Draft Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Too Early 2012 Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:19 am

The board is pretty dead right now and I know that a bunch of us follow the draft year round. This will give us something to discuss as opposed to Brint Farve talk. I know it's way too early and that we haven't seen either the NFL or the college season but the Draft is the far and away #1 way this team was built and I'm interested in getting some guys opinions on some players.

My dream mock at this point:

32: Forston (DT-Miami)

He's the perfect 5-technique for the Packers, who like they're DEs 300+ pounds. He's an amazing run stuffer and would look awesome in front of Clay. He could also slide over and play some NT if the situation called for it. He's freakishly athletic for a dude his size. Not much of a pass rusher but he's got all the skills to become one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NRPuyFrVMw&NR=1[/youtube]

64: Lindsey (OLB-Pittsburgh)

Get Clay a partner in crime. I think the other OLB spot will be a weakness once again. Zombo was ineffective, even when only blocked by one guy. I don't think Ted can ignore OLB anymore after this year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt0rYekzMHo&feature=related[/youtube]

96: Wagner (OG-Wisconsin)

Left Guard is the real weak spot on the offensive line. Colledge will (hopefully) be gone. Somebody to take the job away from Lang who has good value as a utility lineman would be nice. Wagner would also add an element to the running game that hasn't been around for a while.

[youtube]http://forums.realgm.com/boards/posting.php?mode=post&f=161[/youtube]

129: Lindley (QB-SDSU)

I figure that Matt Flynn will be gone next year so a backup QB is now a neccesity. I love Lindley, he's got a great arm and has all the tools to be an elite NFL QB. If he wasn't stuck at San Diego State he would be a 1st round lock.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_ucRw-rZQ[/youtube]

130: Maze (WR-Alabama)

I'm assuming Driver will be hanging up his spikes soon. If that happens we need more receivers. Swain is a #5 for a reason so we could be down to Jennings, Jordy, and Cobb as early as next year. Another receiver with blazing speed is always a welcome additiion to Rodgers' arsenal.

162: Toon (WR-Wisconsin)

See Maze

167: McCray (NT-Memphis)

Raji played an incredible amount of snaps this year and we don't want to wear him out. McCray steps in and takes over the back up Nose Tackle position. An injury to Pickett and we'd be down a starting DE and a back up NT. I'd like more bodies on the Dline.

199: Tinsley (ILB-Minnesota)

Barnett is as good as gone, so having another ILB to backup Hawk and Bishop is nice. Depending on how Chillar and DJ Smith turn out, he might see some snaps early on.

240: Walsh (K-Georgia)

I don't like Crosby
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Re: Too Early 2012 Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:26 am

Ted Thompson is so good we're going to win the Super Bowl and get the #1 pick.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#3 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 am

trwi7 wrote:Ted Thompson is so good we're going to win the Super Bowl and get the #1 pick.

Flynn, Barnett, Walden to the Cards for their #1. 8-)
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#4 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:02 am

This draft is potentially ridiculously deep at running back. I believe this will be Grant's last year here, and I don't think Starks or Green are long term starters, so I wouldn't mind if they snagged one (ducks from chuck and luke)
Do it for Chuck
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#5 » by Newz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:This draft is potentially ridiculously deep at running back. I believe this will be Grant's last year here, and I don't think Starks or Green are long term starters, so I wouldn't mind if they snagged one (ducks from chuck and luke)

I wouldn't mind if we snagged one either... (after the 5th round or in undrafted free agency) :D
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#6 » by emunney » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:01 pm

I really like Manti Te'o and Alshon Jeffrey. No idea where they're expected to go, but my guess would be high.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Two defenders I'm keeping an eye on next season.

The WR class is going to be ridiculous.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#8 » by Wilford Brimley » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Who are the top RBs?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Wilford Brimley wrote:Who are the top RBs?

Trent Richardson is the only first round lock. I actually don't think it's a very good class.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#10 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Trent Richardson (better prospect than teammate Ingram), LaMichael James, Knile Davis, Chris Polk, Montee Ball, Kenjon Barber, Andre Ellington, Lamar Miller, are all draft eligible. Really just overall this draft is stacked, particularily at QB, HB, WR, MLB and CB.

Trent Richardson is probably the only classic every down type guy, but the league is a two back league now anyways. At the top its even better in 2013 with Lattimore and Dyer being eligible.
Do it for Chuck
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#11 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm really steamed they didn't franchise Jenks to get a pick for him in this draft. I think we get a second easily. A second in 2012 is worth a first in 2011.
Do it for Chuck
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#12 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I'm really steamed they didn't franchise Jenks to get a pick for him in this draft. I think we get a second easily. A second in 2012 is worth a first in 2011.

No way in hell would anybody trade for Jenkins making Top 5 DE money.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#13 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:59 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Trent Richardson (better prospect than teammate Ingram), LaMichael James, Knile Davis, Chris Polk, Montee Ball, Kenjon Barber, Andre Ellington, Lamar Miller, are all draft eligible. Really just overall this draft is stacked, particularily at QB, HB, WR, MLB and CB.

Trent Richardson is probably the only classic every down type guy, but the league is a two back league now anyways. At the top its even better in 2013 with Lattimore and Dyer being eligible.

Gray, James, and Davis are the only guys other than Richardson that seem to even have Top 3 round potential.

All the other positions are stacked.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#14 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 pm

emunney wrote:I really like Manti Te'o and Alshon Jeffrey. No idea where they're expected to go, but my guess would be high.

Te'o is probably either the first or second MLB off the board, with Vontaze Burfict as the other and Donta Hightower being a darkhorse as well. Again, MLB has insane depth in this draft, as the guys above as well as Luke Kuechely, Courtney Upshaw, Chris Galippo, and Tank Carder (I think he's better inside at the next level) all being potential studs.

I think Jeffrey and Justin Blackmon are 1 and 1A depending on who likes the other more. I personally like Jeffery more. Both are top 15 locks IMO, and Ryan Broyles and Mohammad Sanu both have a shot at the first round.
Do it for Chuck
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#15 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:I'm really steamed they didn't franchise Jenks to get a pick for him in this draft. I think we get a second easily. A second in 2012 is worth a first in 2011.

Usually when you trade someone who is franchised, it is after they have negotiated a new contract with the other team, a la Corey Williams. Worst case scenario, you slightly overpay for one year, an elite guy at his position, and team leader.
Do it for Chuck
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#16 » by Newz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Assuming the CBA stays the same, we should get a pretty good compensation pick for Jenkins regardless.

I trust TT, he is pretty much the greatest person ever.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#17 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Trent Richardson (better prospect than teammate Ingram), LaMichael James, Knile Davis, Chris Polk, Montee Ball, Kenjon Barber, Andre Ellington, Lamar Miller, are all draft eligible. Really just overall this draft is stacked, particularily at QB, HB, WR, MLB and CB.

Gray, James, and Davis are the only guys other than Richardson that seem to even have Top 3 round potential.

All the other positions are stacked.

While I agree that only a handful of those guys go in the top 3 rounds, I believe the reason will be becasue of the depth, not talent level. For instance, I think I would rank Ingram, a first rounder this year, behind Richardson, James, Davis and Polk.
Do it for Chuck
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#18 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 pm

BTW, mad props to BF1&2 for starting this thread. Never too early for draft talk. It's what I live for! Similar to how fantasy football makes any NFL game watchable, the draft makes any college game watchable.
Do it for Chuck
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#19 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 pm

I really am not impressed with Osemele.

I know he'll be moved down to Guard but he looked awful against Oklahoma.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O2UR_FWqas[/youtube]

Manti Te'o looks really good, and I don't consider ILB that important. I'd be fine with spending a 1st on him. I also hate Notre Dame.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D__w0Jpvx8[/youtube]

Zach Brown (UNC) is a 4-3 OLB not really a fit.

Luke Kuechly (Boston College) doesn't really leap off the tape at me.

Floyd (Notre Dame) has some great tape but some bad tape as well. He's an a great ahlete though.

Uphaw (Alabama) and Jenkins (Florida State) would be awesome picks.

Richardson is a running back 8-)

Not a fan of Devin Taylor (South Carolina)

I'm not high on Travis Lewis (Oklahoma). He looks tiny on tape and he plays like a Safety. He doesn't seem like a 3-4 OLB to me.

Broyles (Oklahoma) and Fuller (Texas A&M) both look great. But as receivers they should look great.

Crick (Nebraska) is a perfect 5 technique for the Packers and I'd love him here.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#20 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Bucksfans1and2 wrote:

Usually when you trade someone who is franchised, it is after they have negotiated a new contract with the other team, a la Corey Williams. Worst case scenario, you slightly overpay for one year, an elite guy at his position, and team leader.

We wouldn't have the money to give him that deal under the old CBA anyway. Especially not with the ridiculous cash the Bears gave Peppers.

Return to Green Bay Packers