ImageImageImageImageImage

MLB/Mets Offseason Thread.

NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Re: MLB Offseason Thread. 

Post#21 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:37 am

"There is a possibility that the Marlins will make a run at Rays right-hander James Shields this winter.

Florida is a natural trade partner for Tampa Bay because they can dangle outfielder Logan Morrison in a package for the starting pitcher.

Via Buster Olney/ESPN.com "

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1befooLZq

Shields is a very good pitcher and I'd hate to see him end up on the Marlins. I'd love to see the Mets make a run at him, though. He had a great year for Tampa Bay.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#22 » by treiz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:50 pm

If Reyes leaves and as much as I love Reyes, we don't have to consider trading Wright mainly because we still have some good pieces to work around with. Ike Davis is coming back, Wright was not healthy for pretty much the whole year last year, Jason Bay is due for a big year, Duda has provided us with some solid power in the year. Our infield D is pretty good especially with Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy stepping up, and we still have Ruben Tejada who is a great defensive SS and of course Pagan who has been a terrific CF for the past 2 seasons.

Our pitching needs work though, I'm not a big fan of Pelfrey but I think Gee could have a solid season as a number 3/4. We have an ace in Johan, Chris Young pitched very well before he got injured and Niese I think showed flashes of his potential last year as a very good number 2, however there was inconsistencies. I do agree that we should go for Shields, he had a great year last year with I believe 4 CGs. But my problem is what can we offer trade-wise? Or is he a FA? If we can get a closer (Broxton would be preferable due to price) and Darren Oliver as the set up man as well as a couple more in the bullpen, I think we can make a decent push for wild card next year. We also have Mejia coming back who before his TJS was pitching very well.

I really hope Reyes considers these factors, as I think we can convince him to stay with the current crop we have. With Terry Collins having a full year under his belt and we saw how much the players loved playing for him I think next year is a good year to be optimistic and it's mainly because we have an identity now, teams understand now that on game days the Mets will come at you 100% and that was all because of Collins.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#23 » by NYman15 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:13 pm

I definitely agree that this team has a bright future. I'm not sure if they're gonna really compete down the stretch next year, although it's possible. I agree that you don't have to trade Wright if Reyes leaves, but I think it's more likely that they trade him if Reyes does leave and they do a total rebuild than if Reyes stays. I think if Reyes stays, I think there's a better chance Wright stays.

I like this lineup when they're all healthy. If you bring back Reyes and you add him to a healthy Wright and Ike along with Bay and Duda added to that, you could have a very good lineup. The pitching does need a lot of work. However, I think the rotation pretty much stays the same except Johan will probably be back. I think Pelfrey is back as well. The bullpen needs a ton of work and they do need a closer. I think we'll see Sandy go after guys like Brad Lidge or Joe Nathan or Johnathan Broxton. Players who have high upside, but probably won't make a lot of money.

Mejia still isn't ready to pitch. He just started to throw, at least that was the plan, and Sandy has said he won't be ready for spring training. However, I think there's a good chance he's back pitching sometime this year, although I think he'll be back in AAA starting. However, the Mets have a nice group of young, high potential starters in the minors lead by Matt Harvey who could be up in the majors next year.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#24 » by NYman15 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 pm

"The Twins announced today that they've declined their club option on reliever Joe Nathan. The option was worth $12.5MM, but the team will pay a $2MM buyout. GM Bill Smith said, "I spoke with Joe and his agent this morning, and expressed our interest in re-signing Joe. We will remain in contact with them as we move forward into the free agent process."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/t ... athan.html

I expect the Mets to be interested in Nathan. He's probably not gonna sign for a lot of money, but he has been a dominant closer in the past, something the Mets need, and if he can regain that form, it'll help the Mets fill a need and it'll help Nathan get another big contract. He's looking like that low risk, high potential type of player this offseason, in my opinion.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#25 » by treiz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 pm

Really hope Reyes does stay and maybe a healthy unit next year and we can make some noise, if not. It's understandable, we do have to rebuild, but I don't think there is an urgency for a complete rebuild yet. Even if Reyes leaves.

What's the recovery time on TJS normally? I thought it was a year.

If Joe Nathan's available we need to make a run at him, our bullpen is quite bad and if we do plan to compete we need to upgrade on set-up man and closer. Like you said low risk-high potential. Really hope our starting 5 rotation next year goes:

Santana
Niese
Pelfrey
Dickey
Gee

Or interchange Dickey/Gee if need be.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#26 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:31 am

Recovery time for tommy john surgery I believe is around 12-18 months. I believe it varies from player to player. I'm hopeful that Mejia will pitch sometime next year in the minors, but they have to see how his progress goes. He could possibly be back pitching in May or it could be in August. It's still too early to tell, but the fact that Sandy said he would start throwing I think is a good sign.

I agree on Joe Nathan. I could definitely see the Mets interested in him. I think he's a good fit for them. I'm sure they'd talk to other players like Brad Lidge and Johnathan Broxton as well.

I could definitely see that being the starting rotation on opening day. I would have Dickey behind Johan and Niese 3rd, but that doesn't really matter, but I think that's probably the rotation we see on opening day.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#27 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:43 pm

"In a post to Twitter, Jon Heyman says the Reds are expected to pick up the option for 2B Brandon Phillips if they cannot work out an extension.

The 30-year-old Phillips has a $12 million option for 2012.

Heyman also says it’s a “closer call” as to whether or not Cincinnati will pick up Francisco Cordero‘s $12 million option, or buy him out for $1 million."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/26/heym ... dero-iffy/

Phillips has always been rumored to the Mets, but it's never happened and I don't see it happening this year. However, Cordero, if released, could be an option for the Mets closer position. However, he might want too much money and too many years, but he could be an option.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#28 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:49 pm

"In a report for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Paul Hoynes says the Indians recently spoke with the agent for OF Grady Sizemore about restructuring his $8.5 million option for 2012 into a long term extension, but, “that’s not going to happen.”

Per Sizemore’s contract, the Indians have three days after the conclusion of the World Series to pick up his option for next season or he will become a free agent.

Sizemore has played in just 210 games since 2009 and hit just .234 with 28 home runs and 109 RBI over that span. He had micro-fracture surgery on his left knee in 2010, which required him to miss half of the 2010 and 2011 season. He recently underwent arthroscopic surgery on that same knee, but is expected to be ready for Spring Training."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/26/indi ... on-for-12/

There's a very realistic chance Angel Pagan won't be back next year so the CF position could be open and Sizemore would be an interesting option. He's been hurt a lot the past few years, but when healthy he's been one of best centerfielders in all of baseball. Depending on how many years and how much money he wants, he could be a fit for the Mets, assuming he becomes a free agent.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#29 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:03 pm

"In an interview with host Mike Missanelli on 97.5 FM in Philadelphia, ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark said:

“The Phillies like David Wright. They have talked about David Wright. Are they really going to be able to make a deal for David Wright? Are the Mets really going to deal him to the Phillies? I mean, those are big questions. But, I’ve heard David Wright’s name for some time. Whether it happens is another story. But, the Phillies like him. … It would have to be a gigantic deal. And, where are the pieces left in the Phillies system to make that deal? … It’s unlikely, but don’t ignore it, because the Phillies have talked about it.”"

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/27/star ... id-wright/

I seriously doubt the Mets trade Wright to the Phillies. It's not even that likely that they trade Wright to anyone let alone the Phillies in my opinion. The Phillies would have to give an absolute boatload of prospects.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#30 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:50 pm

The Cardinals have picked up a two-year, $21M contract on injured pitcher Adam Wainwright, helping set their rotation for next year.

Wainwright is rehabbing from elbow surgery in February that sidelined him for the entire season.

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1c1cEEZAK

I was hoping that Wainwright would become a free agent so the Mets would have a shot at him, maybe at a discounted price due to the tommy john surgery, but that won't happen. When healthy, he's a great pitcher. Even with him being injured, I think the Cards made the right move in picking up his option.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#31 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:56 pm

"The Tigers are expected to pick up Jose Valverde’s option for next season, tweets Jon Heyman of SI.com.

Valverde went 2-4 with a 2.24 ERA for the Tigers in 2011. He led the league in appearances (75), games finished (70) and saves (49) and did not blow a save. He has saved at least 40 games in three of his last five seasons.

Valverde, who will be 34 on opening day, just completed a two year, $14 million option he signed with the Tigers as a free agent before the 2010 season. The Tigers hold a $9 million club option on Valverde for 2012."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/27/tige ... -for-2012/

Valverde had an amazing year for the Tigers. He's fun to watch as he's always energetic and is always pumped up. He was probably gonna be too expensive for the Mets, but you want as many pitchers on the market as you can if you're the Mets, but the closer market is still very deep this offseason.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#32 » by NYman15 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:20 pm

"With the 2011 World Series set to conclude tonight, here is a quick round-up of hot stove rumors making their way around MLB:

Yesterday, while speaking as a guest on AM 620 in Tampa, Rays RHP James Shields said he believes the Rays will exercise the $7.5 million option in his contract.
In a post to Twitter, SI.com’s Jon Heyman says both the Giants and Red Sox are interested in signing Carlos Beltran; and despite Andrew Marchand’s report for ESPN New York that the Yankees could be interested, Anthony McCarron of the Daily News says that pursuit is not likely.
McCarron also believes the Yankees will likely pick up the $10.25 million on Nick Swisher‘s contract, this bringing him back for 2012.
Lastly, the Tigers announced they have exercised their $9 million option on RHP Jose Valverde for 2012."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/28/mlb- ... ctober-28/

I'd like to see the Mets try and make a run at James Shields. I think he could be great with the Mets. I think he's a very underrated pitcher.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#33 » by NYman15 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Cubs right-hander Ryan Dempster has picked up his $14 million player option to return to the team in 2012.

Dempster posted a disappointing 10-14 record and 4.80 ERA in 2011, but he surpassed the 200-inning mark for the fourth straight season.

He has spent the past eight of his 13 major league seasons in Chicago.

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1cDRHpRz9

I didn't see the Mets going after him, but he's a solid veteran that could have helped some teams. However, he's now off the market, but I understand why he picked up that option, that's a lot of money for a pitcher.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#34 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:12 am

"In a post to Twitter, Jordan Bastian of MLB.com says the Indians are expected to decline OF Grady Sizemore’s option for 2012.

The 29 year old Sizemore just concluded a six year, $23.45 million contract he signed with the Indians in March, 2006. The Indians hold an $8.5 million option for 2012 with a $500,000 buyout. He’s played in just 210 games since 2009 and has hit just .234 with 28 home runs and 109 RBI over that span. He had micro-fracture surgery on his left knee in 2010 which required him to miss half of the 2010 and 2011 season, and recently underwent arthroscopic surgery on that same knee, but is expected to be ready for Spring Training."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/29/indi ... 12-option/

Sizemore, when he was healthy, was one of the best CF's in all of baseball. I would like to see him on the Mets, as long as it's not a long term deal something like 1 year and a team option, but if he could stay healthy, he could be great. I don't think we see Angel Pagan back next year and I think Sizemore could be a great replacement.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#35 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:15 pm

"In a report for Newsday, Greg Logan says Joe Nathan will consider joining the Mets as their closer this winter.

The 37-year-old Nathan, who is from Pine Bush, New York, was at SUNY Stony Brook today to dedicate their new baseball field.

According to Logan, Nathan said, “We’re definitely not counting any teams out. But obviously, the Mets are going to be on my radar. It’s a team I followed growing up around this area. That would be exciting.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/29/joe- ... is-winter/

I could definitely see Nathan on the Mets. He wants to be a closer and the Mets need a closer. Looks like a good match.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#36 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

"The Yankees have picked up the option of Nick Swisher, which means, barring a trade, he will be the team's right fielder for at least one more season.

Swisher, who turns 31 in November, will make $10.25M next season and then will be eligible to become a free agent.

At this point, Swisher will remain the man, but the Yankees could look to trade him and then try to find another right fielder.

The club also picked up Robinson Cano's option for next season. This was a formality as Cano is considered the team's best offensive player. Cano, who just turned 29, will make $14M this year and $15M next year. He can become a free agent after the 2013 season."

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1cH5YF2Rr

There was a report earlier in the week about the Yankees being interested in Carlos Beltran and signing him instead of bringing back Swisher. So, with Swisher back, looks like the Yankees aren't an option for Beltran. I could see him on the Red Sox or back with the Giants. I'm curious to see how big of a deal he gets.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#37 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:24 pm

"According to Luis Avila of Los Leones de Caracas, Josh Satin has left the team and is coming back to the United States.

Satin was struggling badly for Los Leones, hitting just .146 with two home runs and three RBI. He hit a combined .323 with 12 home runs and 76 RBI between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Buffalo in 2011 and was named the Mets Minor League Player of the Year in 2011."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/30/josh ... venezuela/

He was struggling down there so maybe he was hurt or having trouble adjusting to the lifestyle, or maybe he was just in a slump and he wanted to come back to the US. We don't know why, but he's headed back to the US.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#38 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 pm

"Six players become free agents on Sunday after their options for the 2012 season were declined.

The Brewers declined a $6 million club option on shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt's contract, who gets a $2 million buyout.

Others whose options were declined included Atlanta outfielder Nate McLouth; Colorado right-hander Aaron Cook; and the San Diego trio of right-handers Aaron Harang and Chad Qualls, and outfielder Brad Hawpe.

McLouth receives a $1.25 million buyout rather than a $10.65 million salary for next year under the contract he signed with Pittsburgh before the 2009 season.

Cook had an $11,125,000 option with a $500,000 buyout.

Harang declined his $5 million player option but does not get a $500,000 buyout because he fell 14 1/3 innings short of the 185 specified in his contract. San Diego declined a $6 million option on Qualls, who gets a $1.05 million buyout.

Hawpe gets a $1 million buyout rather than a $6 million salary."

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1cJJ4UKDP

I could see the Mets going after a few guys on this list. Harang had a really good year for SD so I don't know how much money he'll command, but he could be a good fit for the Mets. Qualls is a good relief pitcher that could be a good fit for the Mets bullpen. Even McLouth could be a good reclamation project. Just a few years ago, he was a great CF.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#39 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:40 pm

"With the World Series over, close to 150 players have officially filed for free agency this winter.

Adam Rubin of ESPN.com supplied the list, which was provided by the players union.

Some of the more notable names are as follows: David Ortiz, Jonathan Papelbon, Kerry Wood, Jim Thome, Mark Buehrle, Magglio Ordonez, Prince Fielder, Joe Nathan, Jose Reyes, CC Sabathia, Jorge Posada, Brad Lidge, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Beltran, Albert Pujols, Johnny Damon and C.J. Wilson."

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1cJL76BEt

Some big names including the Mets Jose Reyes. Now we get to where these big names land. Hopefully, the Mets are in the mix and can sign a few big names.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#40 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:45 pm

"The Brewers have declined the mutual option on reliever Francisco Rodriguez's contract for 2012, making him a free agent.

The option was worth $17.5 million.

Rodriguez's contract was reworked when he was traded from the Mets, changing it from an option that would have become guaranteed had he finished 55 games.

Used as a setup man by the Brewers, Rodriguez gets a $4 million buyout, up from the original $3.5 million."

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1cJNPYMji

The Mets traded K-Rod in the middle of the year to get out of his contract because if he kept closing for the Mets his option would have kicked in and he would been owed a ton of money. With the Brewers, he was the set up man so his option didn't kick in. There's a lot of closers out there this year including K-Rod and the Mets will be looking for a closer, but I don't see them bringing back K-Rod.

Return to New York Mets