ImageImageImageImageImage

Mets Minor Leagues/Prospects Thread.

NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Re: Mets Minor Leagues/Prospects Thread. 

Post#81 » by NYman15 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:02 pm

During the 2010 season, I made the three-plus hour journey from my house in NW Georgia to Greeneville, Tennessee, home of the Greeneville Astros, the Appalachian league affiliate of the Houston Astros for the first time. On that evening, Greeneville was playing the Kingsport Mets, a team led by Mets prospect and Scouting the Sally staple Aderlin Rodriguez. It was a great evening at Pioneer Park, one of the best minor league baseball stadiums I have ever visited and I promised myself to make the trip again with the goal of catching some of the best and brightest of the Appalachian League.

Being primarily interested in Mets prospects and high-ceiling prospects on other teams, my goal was to catch two K-Mets game in hopes of seeing two of their three top pitching prospects while also catching Astros Bonus Baby Ariel Ovando. I thought I’d planned it perfectly this time: I’d see Mets pitching prospects Juan Urbina and Domingo Tapia pitch in consecutive starts but miss the other pitching prospect Akeel Morris. It didn’t work. At the end of my trip, I would miss Domingo Tapia; the K-mets had shuffled their rotation from what was listed on their site, and Ariel Ovando was MIA with an apparent injury. But I didn’t let that dampen my enthusiasm as I still had a chance to see Juan Urbina."

http://scoutingthesally.com/game-report ... an-urbina/

This is a very good read on Mets prospect Juan Urbina. He's still only a teenager and his numbers aren't great, but he's a lefty who can already throw in the low 90's with his fastball and already has a plus change up, but he still has to work on his breaking balls. He still has room to grow so it's possible we could see his fastball get even faster. He's probably not going to be in the majors for a while as he still has a long way to go in the minors, but don't be surprised if you start hearing his name more and more in the next few years.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#82 » by NYman15 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:12 pm

"I have been asked a lot of questions regarding Mets second-base prospect Reese Havens. I watched Havens during my trip to Binghamton in August, and came away impressed with his ability, but still have concerns about Havens’ ability to stay on the field."

http://www.metsminorleagueblog.com/what ... qus_thread

This is a good article on Mets 2nd base prospect Reese Havens. He goes over his future and potential. I'm a Havens fan and I think he's this teams future 2nd baseman. He has a ton of potential with the bat and he plays solid defense.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#83 » by NYman15 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:46 pm

"Juan Lagares, OF, Mets
Lagares quietly had a breakout season for the Mets in 2011, splitting time between High- and Double-A and hitting a combined .349/.383/.500. A 22-year-old Dominican who began his career as a shortstop, Lagares never found a defensive home in the infield, and his time chasing fly balls has only proved that he's stuck in a corner for the long term. What he can do is hit, but it doesn't come with much else; Lagares has below-average power and isn't a big fan of working the count. He's 11-for-28 in Arizona, and he'll need to keep hitting to improve his prospect stock. The hit tools trumps all, but there has to be at least something to go with it."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=15358

He doesn't seem too high on Lagares, but if he keeps hitting and makes the move to CF, I think he'll start making everyone a believer in him.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#84 » by NYman15 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:02 pm

"Mets pitching prospect Collin McHugh was kind enough to take some time out and answer a few questions for me for our MMO community. Collin is coming off a solid season that culminated with an impressive performance for Double-A Binghamton where he went 8-2 with a 2.89 ERA in 16 starts. The young right-hander is out in Arizona where he is presently playing for the Peoria Javelinas, along with seven other Mets farmhands, in the Arizona Fall League. Collin provided many fascinating thoughts and responses to my questions. Here’s how the interview went:"

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2011/10/mm ... chugh.html

McHugh had a great year. He really came on the radar for Mets prospects. He doesn't have electric stuff, but he has good control and he still has a great curveball and he still has very good stuff, but not like a Wheeler or Harvey. But he's someone that you definitely want to watch next year.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#85 » by NYman15 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:30 pm

"According to Luis Avila of Los Leones de Caracas, Josh Satin has left the team and is coming back to the United States.

Satin was struggling badly for Los Leones, hitting just .146 with two home runs and three RBI. He hit a combined .323 with 12 home runs and 76 RBI between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Buffalo in 2011 and was named the Mets Minor League Player of the Year in 2011."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/30/josh ... venezuela/

He was struggling down there so maybe he was hurt or having trouble adjusting to the lifestyle, or maybe he was just in a slump and he wanted to come back to the US. We don't know why, but he's headed back to the US.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#86 » by NYman15 » Wed Nov 2, 2011 3:56 am

"In a post to Twitter, Keith Law of ESPN says he “keeps hearing” that Chad MacDonald, the Mets scouting director, could choose to leave the Mets for either the Angels or Padres.

The Mets hired MacDonald to replace Rudy Terrasas last December, and was an instrumental piece in the 2011 June Amateur Draft along with Paul DePodesta. He had previously served as the director of international scouting for the Diamondbacks from 2009-2010, and served as a scout with the Angels from 2003-2005."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/11/01/chad ... san-diego/

Chad MacDonald has only been with the Mets for 1 year so I'm not sure how you can judge what his impact was on the organization. I like where the Mets are headed with their farm system and I'd like him to stay as he knows the farm system and I trust the front office and if they brought Chad in, it means he's good at what he does. I hope he doesn't leave, but if he does leave, I trust the front office to bring in someone who can take over for Chad.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#87 » by NYman15 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 2:21 am

"Baseball America has announced its top 10 Mets prospects. The list:

1. Zack Wheeler, rhp
2. Matt Harvey, rhp
3. Brandon Nimmo, of
4. Jeurys Familia, rhp
5. Cesar Puello, of
6. Jenrry Mejia, rhp
7. Kirk Nieuwenhuis, of
8. Michael Fulmer, rhp
9. Reese Havens, 2b
10. Wilmer Flores, ss

As for other categories, the magazine named Juan Lagares as the best hitter for average, Zach Lutz as the best power hitter, Danny Muno as the best strike-zone discipline and Pedro Zapata as the fastest baserunner.

In pitching categories, Wheeler claims the best fastball and curveball, with Harvey the best slider and Darin Gorski the top changeup and best control."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/p ... s-prospect

I pretty much agree with this. I was a little surprised they had Nimmo so high, but I understand why they did. I thought there was a chance Domingo Tapia could make the top 10, but he's still young and so if he keeps pitching as well as he has, more people will take notice. I also agree that Wheeler has the best fastball and curveball, although I could make the case that Tapia has the best fastball. Harvey has 2 breaking balls, but it sounds like his slider is better, both are good, but I think the slider has become his better breaking ball. Lastly, I agree that Gorski has the best change up and has the best control. I believe the farm system took a big step forward this year and that is huge. It helps make the future look even brighter.

Return to New York Mets