ImageImageImage

2012 Spring Training (Ryan Zimmerman Extension)

Moderator: Rafael122

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

2012 Spring Training (Ryan Zimmerman Extension) 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:10 am

2011 season is almost winding down, and the team is now at 70 wins. This is a thread to discuss what we should look into with regards to free agency as well as the make up of the team.

Here are the entrenched positional starters:

C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Chris Marrero
2B - Danny Espinosa
SS - Ian Desmond
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
LF - Michael Morse
CF - ?
RF - Jayson Werth

I did not include LaRoche because I honestly don't think he has a future on this team. Morse would obviously have to learn how to play the outfield again, but LaRoche can probably be traded and fetch a mid-level prospect if necessary. Marrero is younger, and while not as good defensively, he's only 23 years old, and I've liked what I have seen from him at the plate. Biggest need offensively is a center fielder and a lead off hitter.

Pitchers. Storen entenched as the closer, and they have a 7th and 8th inning combo of Clippard and Henry Rodriguez.

Starters: Strasburg, Zimmermann, Lannan, ?, ?

I think Millone and Peacock will get every chance possible to get that 4th and 5th spot. My opinion is that one of those two will start in the minors next season and we'll look to get at least a veteran pitcher in here.

This team hasn't won more than 70 games since 2007. There's a good chance they will win 75+ games this year. Future looks bright.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2011 Offseason 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nat ... _blog.html

Davey Johnson sounds like a guy who is going to come back and it's only fair. He seems to have made this a more professional ballclub since he took over, and it seems like the players enjoy playing for him. He needs to come back, maybe groom Bo Porter as manager for the future.

I've seen about 3 starts from Milone, look the kid has great control, but I don't know if he can last as a starter if his fastball tops at 87. He throws a good change up, and his control is awesome, but he's one of those guys who relies more on location, and if it doesn't go where it needs to go, hitters are going to rake on him.

Read the Nats are or were scouting CJ Wilson. He would probably cost similar to what a Jered Weaver got (5 yrs/$80 mil I think). I would bring Ankiel back, but in a diminished role, he has a cannon for an arm.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#3 » by Jollay » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:41 pm

I disagree with you with LaRoche/Marrero. I like Marrero, but his odds are likely as a platoon guy and bat of the bench, at least for the time being.

The guy doesn't hit dingers. He has none in 100 AB this year, and only hit like eight at Syracuse. You can't get away with that.

The Nats will go with LaRoche or Morse there as the starter with Marrero filling in. Everything I've heard says they still like LaRoche to be here next year as well.

As far as CJ Wilson, I would prefer the Nats save their money. Strasburg, Zimm, and Lannan will be here and they are involved in serious talks to retain Wang as well. It's time to let Detwiller, Milone, and Peacock fill out the rest--they've all looked good.

I would highly prefer the Nats blow a wad on somebody like Jacoby Ellsbury, who can get on base at the top of the lineup.

I don't want Davey Johnson, but he'll probably stay.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Ellsbury isn't a free agent until 2014. I don't think the Nats can go 2 more seasons of not having a true lead off hitter and/or center fielder or trade the farm for him. I would think they will revisit talks with Minnesota regarding Span. Always a chance BJ Upton gets waived this offseason as well.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Excellent article on Jayson Werth, great guy to have on this team, despite the huge contract:
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Jollay » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Excellent article on Jayson Werth, great guy to have on this team, despite the huge contract:

He won some fans the other day at the season ticket holder event when he decided to sign autographs. Also trying to physically stop the other presidents from beating Teddy.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Jollay - I disagree with you on Davey. I think he's great for this team, at least for the next year or two (I would like to have Davey as manager when Harper gets the call up, but who knows when that will be). But then I read the news about Francona and it's like "well." If the Nats could get Francona...that would be a coup.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#8 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Oct 1, 2011 7:46 pm

Bring in Terry Francona.

I also think Rendon will be up my mid season and take over at 2B and Espinosa will move to SS.

If we upgrade at CF, I'd rather let Ankiel walk and keep Bernadina as the 4th OF.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Jollay » Tue Oct 4, 2011 8:31 pm

Agreed on Francona. Would LOVE it.

I can live with Johnson, but nothing he did impressed me that much, including getting the record back to Riggleman pace when the games hardly mattered.

I think it's up to Rizzo to assess the managers out there as opposed to what he thinks might be out there in a year or two.

And will the Nats pay? Don't see why not...
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#10 » by Wizardspride » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/washingnats/statu ... 2683129857

washingnats
William Ladson

Adam LaRoche said the #Nats didn't promise him that he would be the starting 1B in 2012. One wonders if Prince Fielder is on the radar.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Jollay » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:45 pm

As expected, the Nats will bring back Johnson as manager.

Free agency starts Thursday, with Ankiel, Cora, Coffey, Gomes, Hernandez, Nix, Rodriguez, and Wang free agents.

Wang is the only one of those that I know that the Nats have had serious talks with. I expect them to at least bring back one of Ankiel/Nix/Gomes. The others are all possibilities but the Nats likely won't overpay for any , to include the outfielders.

I suspect the Nats will resign Wang and Ankiel. Gomes also if he's reasonable. Nats don't have a track record of resigning guys like Coffey and they have several young arms that can replace him. Livo and Pudge were worth their previous contracts but I think they're ready to move on from both.

Nats will be looking for a leadoff hitter first in FA, preferably a CF. Then they will rebuild their bench and flirt with a pitcher (adding pitching depth also in late FA).

Anything deviating from this strategy will be going after Fielder, Reyes, or Rollins. A 1b would be moved if they sign Fielder, and Desmond would be moved if they go in the direction of the latter two. Very unlikely they pursue Reyes or Rollins seriously though--they still like Desmond and will try CF first.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 pm

BJ Upton could still be a possibility if he's non-tendered.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Jollay » Wed Nov 2, 2011 2:24 pm

Rafael122 wrote:BJ Upton could still be a possibility if he's non-tendered.

Yup. In theory they'd try Desmond as the leadoff hitter then, although God knows they might try some perverted 25 million a year combo of Upton/Werth up top as well...

I think the lineup is too all or nothing as it is. I wouldn't mind Upton at all, but I might even prefer a stopgap like a Coco Crisp for a couple years with Harper perhaps taking center.

Hope they can get Denard Span or similar though.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#14 » by Wizardspride » Thu Nov 3, 2011 1:56 am

Click on the link to read the rest.
How Bryce Harper’s Arizona Fall League performance can affect the Nationals’ offseason plans

The Nationals could use a left-handed power hitter to slide into their 2012 lineup around Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Jayson Werth, and one might just be surfacing out in the Arizona desert.

After a slow start in the Arizona Fall League, Bryce Harper has emerged as one of the best players amongst the toughest minor league competition available. He slammed another home run for the Scottsdale Scorpions last night, giving him five homers and 17 RBIs over his last eight games. (Per ESPN’s Jason Grey, General Manager Mike Rizzo was there watching in person.) In 16 games total, Harper is hitting .290/.357/.613.

That’s obviously a small sample, but Harper’s success while playing against the best prospects in baseball could have an impact on the Nationals’ offseason plans. While Harper has yet to play at Class AAA and Rizzo philosophically believes prospects should play at all levels, the Nationals have not ruled out letting Harper compete to make their opening day roster. Harper’s recent dominance can only nudge their thinking further in that direction.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 12:56 pm

He's definitely going to be in the big leagues by 2013 unless the guy suddenly drops off in AAA. Put him in AAA for most of the year and then call him up in September. There's no need to rush. Honestly I didn't expect him to rake the way he is. Maybe he is one of those once in a generation type of talents.

BTW, Wang re-signed to a 1 year deal.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Jollay » Fri Nov 4, 2011 1:00 am

Good God, Wang for 4 million guaranteed plus incentives?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... 4-million/

Is that giving the Nats a deal? Really? 11 starts for the last two years of salary?

Hey, helps the Nats market and sell tix I guess...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Rafael122 » Fri Nov 4, 2011 1:05 pm

They're going to have to spend the money on someone. Wang probably won't be a #3 starter, but a #4 or #5 at $4 million isn't bad considering he might have gotten more in free agency.

BTW, Wang made $3.5 million this past season, so he really only got a $500K raise.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Jollay » Fri Nov 4, 2011 1:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:They're going to have to spend the money on someone. Wang probably won't be a #3 starter, but a #4 or #5 at $4 million isn't bad considering he might have gotten more in free agency.

Yeah, it's difficult to know what the market for him was. I do know there was some concrete interest from other teams.

But I also know there was very minimal interest in him two years ago, and the Nats have paid him over 4 million the last two years (one plus one in incentives last year) for making 11 starts in two years on a sub-.500 team.

I find it very hard to believe some team would have given him six million a year plus incentives.

But you're right, in the grand scheme of things, worst that happens they blow four mil. And if you look at a Ben Sheets-type contract the A's gave him...well, not that bad.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Tue Nov 8, 2011 2:34 pm

Nats interested in Roy Owalt apparently. This is such a huge risk signing that I don't think I would approve. I believe he went on the DL twice this season for back issues.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Jollay » Wed Nov 9, 2011 12:08 am

Totally agree on Oswalt in fact came on to post the same thing.

I appreciate high-risk, high-reward to go for it somewhat next season, but I believe money could be better spent with less risk.

Oswalt will still not come cheap...

Return to Washington Nationals