ImageImageImageImage

Like Magic we have Cap Space for summer of 2012

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 701

Like Magic we have Cap Space for summer of 2012 

Post#1 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Why is no one talking about the fact that the Magic have a legitimate shot of signing Paul or Deron Williams outright? All i hear is the Magic having no flexibility, no trade pieces and no options to get better. but if you look at our salary situation as well as the amnesty provision we can actually go significantly below the cap without making a single trade. According to hoopshype we have 75 mil committed to salaries in 2012. With a little work we can bring that figure significantly down.

Gilbert (Amnesty)- $20,877,902
Redick (Decline Final year)-$6,000,000
Anderson (Decline Rights)-$2,334,268
Orton (Decline Option)-$1,182,600

TOTAL: $30,394,770

Without a single trade the Magic committed salaries for the summer of 2012 is now $45,270,640

If the salary cap stays at around $58,000,000 we would be approx 13,000,000 below the cap

Let's take it a step further:

Both Jameer and Bass have player options.

Bass (Player Option)-$400,000,000
Jameer (Player Option)-$7,888,888

Bass: I could see Bass opting out of his contract in 2012 because there will be a lot of teams with money trying to get a star and a fringe starter like himself could get a decent pay day.

Jameer: If we amnesty Gil then we could still keep Meer as a 6th man type off the bench. We could offer him a 7 million per year, 4 year deal with max raises.

Removing Bass and adding Jameer's new salary starting at about 5 million we would have cut a further $6,888,888 of cap space. which would give us $38,381,752 in committed salaries in the summer of 2012. 19 million below the salary cap all without a single trade.

Our roster would look like this

PG-____/Jameer/Duhon
SG-Q-Rich/Liggins
SF-Hedo
PF-Harper
C-Dwight

I'm not saying that this is the way we choose to go, but rather pointing out that the ballyhoo of our demise has been dramatically overstated. We still have a fighting chance of getting another superstar and keep Dwight IF he wants to stay.

The following was posted by Frog who did a better job than me breaking it down with more accurate figures.

We're in about the same boat as the knicks when it comes to what we could offer CP3 as a free agent next season. That is assuming player options on nelson and bass are declined, we amnesty arenas, team option on orton is declined, we don't extend the QO to anderson, and we opt out of JJ's final year. It's a lot, but if he wants to come here, it can be done. I think Bass will almost certainly opt out, while Jameer is less certain, but still likely. In this situation, Only Hedo, Qrich and Duhon are on the books for 2012-2013. Add in the assumption Dwight stays and his $20M, along with the cap holds for the league min on the rest of the roster (and a few mil for draft picks) and you're at about $45M. Applying the same math to the Knicks (only melo and amare on roster) and it adds up to about $45M.

So we could offer about the same. BUT, if Dwight wants it to happen too, he could re-sign for a few million less to have the same salary as Paul (a la the Heat last year), giving Paul the starting salary he would get in New Orleans (~$17M) anyway (albeit for one less year), and Dwight the PG he always wanted.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... /magic.jsp

If anyone wants to check all that math, feel free.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Re: Like Magic we have Cap Space for summer of 2012 

Post#2 » by magicman123 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Because its cooler to talk about Dwight leaving and how much the magic suck.. Make a post like yours on the GB and people run or blast you for being optimistic.. Hope is better than nothing, good post
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#3 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 pm

magicman123 wrote:Because its cooler to talk about Dwight leaving and how much the magic suck.. Make a post like yours on the GB and people run or blast you for being optimistic.. Hope is better than nothing, good post

Thanks. I was listening to David Aldridge and he was basically saying that even if we amnesty Gil we can't get anyone with the 3 million cap space. It irks me how uninformed some of these media types are about our situation. As i said, we might not choose to go this direction but we're not dead yet.
Coach_McGuirk
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Coach_McGuirk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Instead of declining Orton, anderson and redick they might even be worth dealing for some expiring contracts and maybe draft picks?

Its always better to sell junk at a yard sale than throwing it away!

But its a great post!
Image Image
Big Baby Davis in Shamu Attack Mode!!!!
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#5 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Coach_McGuirk wrote:Instead of declining Orton, anderson and redick they might even be worth dealing for some expiring contracts and maybe draft picks?

But its a great post!

I'm definitely open to trading for an expiring contract. The reason i chose this route is that people might argue that we can't make trade X or Trade Y. I wanted to show that the Magic controls it's own destiny. Without any trade whatsoever we can sign a max level player as long as he wants to come here. It also lets teams know that we can sign their guy outright, which would make them more open to a deal.
arkknight1988
Assistant Coach
And1: 172

Post#6 » by arkknight1988 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:51 pm

imagine if otis didn't sign duhon and q with the mle last season. Also jrich's expiring could of been HUGE if we didn't take back turks contract. With that said we have a chance if otis can trade bass+jj for a large expiring contract.
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#7 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:53 pm

arkknight1988 wrote:imagine if otis didn't sign duhon and q with the mle last season. Also jrich's expiring could of been HUGE if we didn't take back turks contract. With that said we have a chance if otis can trade bass+jj for a large expiring contract.

I was thinking about a package of JJ and Bass/Duhon for Mehmet Okur. He has a 10 mil expiring contract.
magicman123
RealGM

Post#8 » by magicman123 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm

The x factor will be Gilbert though
Coach_McGuirk
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by Coach_McGuirk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Darth Magic wrote:
Coach_McGuirk wrote:Instead of declining Orton, anderson and redick they might even be worth dealing for some expiring contracts and maybe draft picks?

But its a great post!

I'm definitely open to trading for an expiring contract. The reason i chose this route is that people might argue that we can't make trade X or Trade Y. I wanted to show that the Magic controls it's own destiny. Without any trade whatsoever we can sign a max level player as long as he wants to come here. It also lets teams know that we can sign their guy outright, which would make them more open to a deal.

Thats a great point.

Not to mention we can still sign and trade J-Rich.
Image Image
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#10 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:02 pm

magicman123 wrote:The x factor will be Gilbert though

I agree. I'm more open to amnestying Turk cause i think he's done and i still have faith in Gil. But again, people are gonna say Arenas won't restructure his contract, even though i think he would.
Coach_McGuirk
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Coach_McGuirk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Darth Magic wrote:

I agree. I'm more open to amnestying Turk cause i think he's done and i still have faith in Gil. But again, people are gonna say Arenas won't restructure his contract, even though i think he would.

If he wants to win a ship I think he needs to restructure and stay with the Magic, once his contract is over I dont think any good teams would want him.
Image Image
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#12 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Coach_McGuirk wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:

If he wants to win a ship I think he needs to restructure and stay with the Magic, once his contract is over I dont think any good teams would want him.

If he opts out next season he can get a 5 year 50 million contract extension starting at about 9 million a year. That's an additional 8 million more than the current deal. Opting out would benefit him, but why would the media not report that? Hmmmm?
Chris1455
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Chris1455 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Darth Magic wrote:Why is no one talking about the fact that the Magic have a legitimate shot of signing Paul or Deron Williams outright? All i hear is the Magic having no flexibility, no trade pieces and no options to get better. but if you look at our salary situation as well as the amnesty provision we can actually go significantly below the cap without making a single trade. According to hoopshype we have 75 mil committed to salaries in 2012. With a little work we can bring that figure significantly down.

Gilbert (Amnesty)- $20,877,902
Redick (Decline Final year)-$6,000,000
Anderson (Decline Rights)-$2,334,268
Orton (Decline Option)-$1,182,600

TOTAL: $30,394,770

Without a single trade the Magic committed salaries for the summer of 2012 is now $45,270,640

If the salary cap stays at around $58,000,000 we would be approx 13,000,000 below the cap

Let's take it a step further:

Both Jameer and Bass have player options.

Bass (Player Option)-$400,000,000
Jameer (Player Option)-$7,888,888

Bass: I could see Bass opting out of his contract in 2012 because there will be a lot of teams with money trying to get a star and a fringe starter like himself could get a decent pay day.

Jameer: If we amnesty Gil then we could still keep Meer as a 6th man type off the bench. We could offer him a 7 million per year, 4 year deal with max raises.

Removing Bass and adding Jameer's new salary starting at about 5 million we would have cut a further $6,888,888 of cap space. which would give us $38,381,752 in committed salaries in the summer of 2012. 19 million below the salary cap all without a single trade.

Our roster would look like this

PG-____/Jameer/Duhon
SG-Q-Rich/Liggins
SF-Hedo
PF-Harper
C-Dwight

I'm not saying that this is the way we choose to go, but rather pointing out that the ballyhoo of our demise has been dramatically overstated. We still have a fighting chance of getting another superstar and keep Dwight IF he wants to stay.

Do we have a team option on Redick? According to Hoopshype we do not. This is where you got your info right? I mean it sounds great but I am not sure we have an option on JJ.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 324

Post#14 » by trebone » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:18 pm

We will not be getting Paul or Deron let that pipe dream go, also Devos and/or Otis will not be using the amnesty to get rid Arenas, 66mil is just to much to say goodbye for nothing.

With that being said we will be lucky if they use it on Hedo but I still see that as not happening because I dont see Otis admitting his mistakes which in turn will still do nothing as far as cap space so there really is nothing to gain seeing as the next 2 seasons will still be under the old Lux tax terms. Our best bet is to hope Arenas plays somewhat close to an allstar level, where we can then maybe move Jameer and bass/anderson for a decent 3 or back up C. Other that that we dont have a ton of options. Sorry but Otis has completely screwed this team for the forseeable future.
arkknight1988
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by arkknight1988 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Darth Magic wrote:
arkknight1988 wrote:imagine if otis didn't sign duhon and q with the mle last season. Also jrich's expiring could of been HUGE if we didn't take back turks contract. With that said we have a chance if otis can trade bass+jj for a large expiring contract.

I was thinking about a package of JJ and Bass/Duhon for Mehmet Okur. He has a 10 mil expiring contract.

plus he can back up dwight. im in. call up otis
Coach_McGuirk
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Coach_McGuirk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Darth Magic wrote:
Coach_McGuirk wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:

If he opts out next season he can get a 5 year 50 million contract extension starting at about 9 million a year. That's an additional 8 million more than the current deal. Opting out would benefit him, but why would the media not report that? Hmmmm?

Exactly, the media only reports what gets people reading. "Magic are able to keep Howard and sign another star" only interests us Magic fans. "Howard wants to LA" gets everybody reading.
Image Image
arkknight1988
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by arkknight1988 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:22 pm

yeah can someone give us details about jj redicks contract for next season?
magicman123
RealGM

Post#18 » by magicman123 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Redicks contract is not guaranteed and can be waived by July 2012, we have $24 mil in guaranteed contracts next season, however the stars would need to align

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... /magic.jsp
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#19 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Do we have a team option on Redick? According to Hoopshype we do not. This is where you got your info right? I mean it sounds great but I am not sure we have an option on JJ.

According to both HoopsWorld and ShamSports, the final year of guard J.J. Redick’s contract — about $6 million for the 2012-13 season — is completely unguaranteed. So, if necessary, the Magic could release Redick after the 2011-12 season and free-up another $6 million.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports ... oward.html
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#20 » by dsg2021 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Its embarassing how many times some of us have to repeat JJ is ungarantueed , that Jameer/Bass have PO's, and the Magic can, through a simple process of cutting, outright sign CP3/D-Will and Dwight to you Magic fans.
The only thing true is the media slant but thats not a big problem because they are not the CBA. The Magic can and should be making their own headlines atleast, for whatever its worth, because in the end one of those star PGs is going to say yeah, adding myself to a perennial playoff contender and D12 is the way to go.

Return to Orlando Magic